SOTA Associations updated

All relevant news related to Log4OM software will be published here.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

SOTA Associations updated

Post by G4POP »

I have just been updating our SOTA Associations table with the most recent additions to the SOTA database but as usual the total lack of reference in the SOTA Summit list and SOTA associations list to DXCC entity numbers, is as always making the lives of developers trying to support SOTA very difficult.

I have managed to get all associations except for the 'UK South Atlantic' working but because the only reference for all three DXCC entities in 'UK South Atlantic' is 'ZD', not even the complete prefix like ZD7, ZD8 or ZD9, I have not so far found a work around.

Having three entities entered under one association (UK South Atlantic) is crazy, the least they should do is use something like this....

ZD - UK South Atlantic ZD7 - St Helena
ZD - UK South Atlantic ZD8 - Ascension Island
ZD - UK South Atlantic ZD9 - Tristan da Cunha & Gough Island

If we cannot find a work around for this SOTA issue and assuming SOTA continue to omit proper DXCC references then I will ask Lele to remove SOTA support completely on the basis that it would be better not to support SOTA than have a facility that does not work 100%

It would be a shame to do that after all the hard work we put into providing the facility but without the co-operation of award providers it is very hard to provide our users with a reliable system.

Rant over, back to the database and off to complain once again to SOTA MT
73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: SOTA Associations updated

Post by G4POP »

The extract of the response to my email received from SOTA MT was as follows:
I can see the issue! The short answer is nothing will change quickly but we can look into whether it can be split at a future point. That leaves you in the position that you still need to something now but long term the situation may improve
It took me five minutes to amend the SOTA Summit list as I had suggested to them, and as shown below, to include separately identify the entries by adding ZD7, ZD8 & ZD9 to the description.

ZD/AI-001,UK South Atlantic ZD8,Ascension Island,Green Mountain - The Peak,...........
ZD/AI-002,UK South Atlantic ZD8,Ascension Island,Sisters Peak,...............
ZD/AI-003,UK South Atlantic ZD8,Ascension Island,Cross Hill,....................
ZD/GI-001,UK South Atlantic ZD9,Gough Island,Edinburgh Peak,.................
ZD/GI-002,UK South Atlantic ZD9,Gough Island,South Peak,........................
ZD/SH-001,UK South Atlantic ZD7,Saint Helena,Diana's Peak,.........................
ZD/SH-002,UK South Atlantic ZD7,Saint Helena,White Point,.........................
ZD/SH-003,UK South Atlantic ZD7,Saint Helena,Flagstaff Hill,.......................
ZD/SH-004,UK South Atlantic ZD7,Saint Helena,The Haystack,........................
ZD/TC-001,UK South Atlantic ZD9,Tristan da Cunha,Queen Mary's Peak,...............
ZD/TC-002,UK South Atlantic ZD9,Tristan da Cunha,Inaccessible Island - Swales Fell,.................
ZD/TC-003,UK South Atlantic ZD9,Tristan da Cunha,Nightingale Island,.........................

And a further couple of minutes to add those descriptions to our SOTA Associations conversion table as below and all now works faultlessly.

UK South Atlantic ZD8;205
UK South Atlantic ZD7;250
UK South Atlantic ZD9;274

If any of you want to use these amended files please email me for them, but please be aware that any future SOTA auto update will overwrite the files.
73 Terry G4POP