Integration with HDSDR

Regarding connecting to external program's.
WE1X
Novice Class

Integration with HDSDR

Post by WE1X »

I have successfully integrated HDSDR as an external panadapter with the Icom 7600 and HDR/DM780. All three are fully functional with each other. I can point and click on signals displayed on HDSDR and the Icom 7600 and HRD/DM780 will follow.

HDSDR uses OmniRig.

I would like a way where I can integrate HDSDR with Log4OM.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks,

Harry WE1X
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Integration with HDSDR

Post by G4POP »

OK Harry lets get going with this.

Depending on the software two program's can share Omnirig, for example I run MixW with Log4OM and both work fine, but I have to start MixW before Log4OM.

So first try running HDSDR followed by Log4OM with both set to the same Omnirig settings like Icom 7600 for the rig and using identical com ports and baud rate etc.

Experiment with starting HDSDR before Lo4OM and if that does not work start Log4OM first followed by HDSDR.

If you can't get them all playing this way then you will need to use a Virtual Serial Port like Eterlogic.

Let me know how you get on and if you need help with setting up a VSP then just shout.

What are you using as an SDR receiver, Softrock or something else.
73 Terry G4POP
WE1X
Novice Class

Post by WE1X »

Terry,

Thanks.

Using a previous version of Log4OM and HDSDR the two worked just fine. They shared OmniRig with no problem. With new versions of each this is no longer the case.

If I start HDSDR v2.62 with OmniRig running Log4OM is very slow to start then tends to default to HamLib even though OmniRig is my choice.

If I start Log4OM first HDSDR is slow to launch then displays a message that OmniRig is not found.

I do have vitural serial ports available. We can go that route if necessary.

Harry WE1X
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

WE1X wrote:Terry,

Thanks.

Using a previous version of Log4OM and HDSDR the two worked just fine. They shared OmniRig with no problem. With new versions of each this is no longer the case.

If I start HDSDR v2.62 with OmniRig running Log4OM is very slow to start then tends to default to HamLib even though OmniRig is my choice.

If I start Log4OM first HDSDR is slow to launch then displays a message that OmniRig is not found.

I do have vitural serial ports available. We can go that route if necessary.

Harry WE1X
Hi Harry,
We have not made any changes in the Omnirig area that would affect the multithreading capability of Omnirig so I guess the changes have been made to HDSDR.

I think your only route is to use VSP and I know that Omnirig works fine with Eterlogics VSP if the VSP software that you normally use does not work.
73 Terry G4POP
WE1X
Novice Class

Post by WE1X »

"What are you using as an SDR receiver, Softrock or something else."

Terry...what I've done is a simple, non-invasive and reversible hardware modification to the Icom 7600 that allows me to split the signal from rig's IF to a Mini-Circuits splitter and then to a Terratec RTL dongle. Using HDSDR I set the dongle to the Icom's IF freq of 64.455. The dongle drives HDSDR and I get excellent resolution with wider bandwidth. Stefan Wagner VE4NSA developed the hardware mod and I worked on the HDSDR implementation. Both of us have posted papers on the IC-7600 Yahoo Group. I have full point-and-click control over the Icom via HDSDR's panadapter.

Mario Taeubel, DG0JBJ, (the keeper of HDSDR) updated the software to allow simple integration with HRD/DM780 that works quite well. Prior to that, I and Rick Bertoli developed a rather involved way of getting HDSDR to interface with HRD using virtual com ports and multiple instances of HRD. While it worked, Mario's latest HDSDR release is far simpler and elegant.

As Log4OM has a lot to offer I would like to accomplish the same. The frustrating part is I had this working prior to the latest release. Virtual COM ports may be the way to go for now.

I have a pair COM20 and COM21. OmniRig only sees COM20. If I set OmniRig as COM20 then where is COM 21 assigned?

Harry WE1X
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Hi Harry,
Firstly I would like to communicate with you off the forum regarding possible integration of HDSDR with Log4OM. Now that Daniele has revised the services and introduced the Communicator it is very easy to exchange Frequency, band and mode via TCP/IP or UDP etc!!!

Ok so now to VSP

I have set up Eterlogic to provide a splitter between com 3 and com 9

My Icom tranceiver is connected to the physical USB port Com 3 at 19200 Baud

Log4OM connects to com 9 via Omnirig using the same rig and baud rate

MixW connects to com 9 using the same rig and baud rate

SDR-Radio consul 1.5 connects to com 9 using the same rig and baud rate (My SDR-IP is driving the SDR-Radio Consul)

All run in perfect synchronisation for freq, band and mode and I can add as many more program's as I wish up to a maximum of nine.

FLDigi will also connects to com 9 via Hamlib or Rigcat using the same rig and baud rate but the polling rate is very slow so sometimes there is a delay in FLdigi changing frequency.

Unfortunately HDSDR won't work with my SDR-IP although it works with my SDR-IQ and reputedly works with the Net SDR! Otherwise I would use it.

Hope this helps if not shout!
73 Terry G4POP
EI2GLB
Old Man

Post by EI2GLB »

Hi All

I have just got a RTL dongle to use as a panadapator on my Icom Pro2

How do I get to share Omnirig with HDSDR and Log4OM, I tried starting each first and it worked the same as it did for Harry

I have never used virtual serial ports

Thanks
Trevor
EI2GLB
Old Man

Post by EI2GLB »

So I installed VSPE and split com 8 to com 12,

I can still only run one of the programs,

When I try to start Log4OM 2nd it doesn't pick up cat, and when I start HDSDR 2nd it comes up with an error saying Omnirig not installed,
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Trevor,
I don't use HDSDR because it does not support my SDR-IP receiver so I use Simon Browns SDR-Radio consul which integrates fine with Omnirig and Log4OM.

SDR-Radio consul also supports the dongle so I suggest that you give it a try
73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

EI2GLB wrote:So I installed VSPE and split com 8 to com 12,

I can still only run one of the programs,

When I try to start Log4OM 2nd it doesn't pick up cat, and when I start HDSDR 2nd it comes up with an error saying Omnirig not installed,
I assume that you do have Omnirig installed and that it runs fine with Log4om and other programs?
73 Terry G4POP