WSJT-X and LOG4OM - Newbie Question

Regarding connecting to external program's.
VK4FI
Novice Class

WSJT-X and LOG4OM - Newbie Question

Post by VK4FI »

Hi, I have been running LOG4OM for a few years now and all working well, I have recently started using WSJT-X and would like to known how I can get LOG4OM to log my WSJT-X contacts, can this be done automatically.

Royal Australian Corps of Signals (Retired)
"Certa Cito"
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: WSJT-X and LOG4OM - Newbie Question

Post by G4POP »

You need to install JTAlert and set WSJT-X and JTAlert up according to their user guides and then every QSO will log directly to Log4OM using the UDP connection.

All three programs must be running as an administrator by right clicking on the install files and selecting 'Run as administrator'

The Log4OM communicator must also be running with the UDP box checked in the communicator settings/inbound/Inbound settings window and the port number 2236 must be selected.

This is all covered in the Log4OM user guide page 181 >>>>>
73 Terry G4POP
VK4FI
Novice Class

Post by VK4FI »

Thanks Terry :mrgreen:

Royal Australian Corps of Signals (Retired)
"Certa Cito"
VK3AMA
Advanced Class

Post by VK3AMA »

G4POP wrote: 07 Aug 2017, 07:13 You need to install JTAlert and set WSJT-X and JTAlert up according to their user guides and then every QSO will log directly to Log4OM using the UDP connection.

All three programs must be running as an administrator by right clicking on the install files and selecting 'Run as administrator'
There is no need to explicitly run the WSJT-X and JTAlert installers as Administrator. The installers automatically notify Windows that elevated privileges are need edto complete the installation and Windows will automatically display the UAC dialog if approval from the user is required.

Also, NEVER setup WSJT-X and JTAlert, after they are installed, to run as Administrator. There is never any need to do that, both programs have been designed correctly to avoid using this type of hack with its associated security risks. Don't do it!!!!!

LOg4OM is the only program that needs to run with elevated privileges (for some unknown reason). WSJT-X and JTAlert don't.

de Laurie, VK3AMA (JTAlert author)
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

That's Odd Laurie because on the last two installs, that I did for friends, of WSJT-X the program would not connect to Omnirig unless it was installed as an administrator?
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Omnirig will not allow concurrent connections if not executed as administrator.
Log4OM needs admin privileges only to enable WCF communications, that is blocked by UAC and Windows Firewall.
You can prevent that by granting permissions to HTTP namespaces, but that require an "httpcfg set urlacl" command executed on user PC that i prefer to avoid.

Without WCF communications it can be executed as normal user.
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
gm0ots
New user

Post by gm0ots »

I think I need to go to university to understand this lot🤔🤔
VA3AG
Old Man

Post by VA3AG »

G4POP wrote: 08 Aug 2017, 05:58 That's Odd Laurie because on the last two installs, that I did for friends, of WSJT-X the program would not connect to Omnirig unless it was installed as an administrator?
I had to do the same when I installed WSJT-X.

Aldo VA3AG
N6VH
Old Man

Post by N6VH »

I don't run WSJT-X and JTAlert as administrator, and I don't have any problems. I don't interface WSJT-X through Omni Rig, so that avoids that issue (I use a Microham Microkeyer).