External software start parameters

Regarding connecting to external program's.
N9CDM
Novice Class

External software start parameters

Post by N9CDM »

I would like to run a callsign timer program (ID2000) when leaving the callsign field, but cannot find any info on setting the necessary parameters for this action on the Options, Settings 2 page. This does not appear to be covered in the supplied help documentation. Is this even possible? Any help? Thanks in advance.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: External software start parameters

Post by G4POP »

At this time the facility that you request is not a feature of Log4om

Also leaving the call sign field does not necessarily mean that you are transmitting, it seems to me this timer would work best is connected to your rigs PTT line
73 Terry G4POP
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Hi Terry, think he mean this software http://www.kg8id.com/idss.htm which send your call automaticly all 10 minutes in Voice or CW ... But it´s not a free software, you need a registration (5.- $) ...
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

I just downloaded and checked this applet and it does not provide any information about a method of interfacing to external software or to a PTT line, it appears to just be a stand alone timer with a voice/CW alert plus a few other ham tools like Ohms law calculator etc which available from anywhere on the internet. Triggering the timer is achieved from within the exe (Software) and not by any external source.

The user can automatically open the ID2000 software by using our "External software start" facility in Options - Setting 2, but starting the timer on would still need to be done manually by the user.

I can't really see the point of this applet! because:

If its being used for beacon operation then most good beacon software programs include far superior automatic call announcement systems. On the other hand if its just a reminder for an operator to announce his ID during a long over during a QSO then it can be started manually if required or do what I do and just keep an eye on the station clock!

It is not something that we would integrate because it would be quicker for Lele to write our own timer alert if we thought it was a feature required by the majority of our users.
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Yes, but i still don't understand what is the requirement :p
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Lele,
The requirement is to start this timer to alert the user that he must announce his call sign after a specific period but this is not possible because the timer has to be manually started when the QSO begins

Because

The timer software can be automatically run by loading the exe but then the timer has to be started from withing the timer software and there is no provision to do this from any external source provided by the timer software!

The timer program has no external communication ability so it can't be triggered by the PTT line or TCP/IP, UDP or any other method

Also at what point should the timer be started - When the call sign is entered in Log4om, when the cursor leaves the call sign field, when the PTT is pressed, when a cluster spot is clicked or some other time/event
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

mmh we can do everything, but if the software won't accept any external input it's hard...
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

The only possibility would be to write our own timer but it would be a very low priority!
73 Terry G4POP