FLDIGI

Regarding connecting to external program's.
GW4BLE
Novice Class

FLDIGI

Post by GW4BLE »

Hi,

As a new user, I've just noticed that the 'QSY' button on FLDIGI is greyed out when it's using the XML-RPC link with LOG4OM.

I use the QSY button on digital modes to centre the received signal in the middle of the receiver pass-band for optimum decoding, the so-called 'sweet spot'. This is VERY handy of course for proper alignment (have mine set at 1500 Hz)

There also a slight anomaly on digital modes in that if the radio is in 'PKT/USB' (for PSK) or PKT/LSB (for AFSK RTTY) the logging mode shown on screen appears to be 'SSB', although on actually receiving the data (in other words when the contact is logged) it does then display the correct mode - PSKxx or RTTY.

Tried it on both radios here - pair of FTDX5000MPs with microHAM MK2r+ controller, same on each.

Any advice on how the pass-band centering can be enabled with LOG4OM would be appreciated.

Steve
GW4BLE
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: FLDIGI

Post by G4POP »

I will check FLDigi centre ring tomorrow

SSB is the ADIF mode we record on save but we display the correct mode as you correctly spotted, this is so we can provide an accurate ADIF export and import until all other software developers catch up with us and ADIF 3.04 and the new mode/sub mode format.
73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

FLDigi

OK I have just checked this out and my set up is as follows

Log4om 1.18
FLDigi 3.21.83
XML-RPC control activated in Fldigi with Hardware PTT, RigCat and Hamlib disabled (Not selected)
Icom ProIII
FLDigi "Sweet Spot" set to CW 700, RTTY 2200 & PSK et al 1500

I found that the "Centre the signal" button on the bottom tool bar did not function with the waterfall set to x1, functioned partially with Waterfall set to x2 and worked perfectly when set to x4

Then I read the manual for FLDigi and found this note:

NOTE: these controls are only functional if the current waterfall or spectrum view is smaller than the full view available. This is usually the case when the X2 or X4 expansion is selected. But it also might be the case when the width of the main dialog is reduced so that the waterfall display does not extend over the entire available width.

So in conclusion its working fine within the constraints of the FLDigi parameters when using the XML-RPC interface with Log4OM, the only issues I found were FLDigi shortcomings and these are beyond our control and not a Log4om issue.
73 Terry G4POP
GW4BLE
Novice Class

Post by GW4BLE »

Hello Terry,

Thanks for confirming the setup you have there, most appreciated.

This is a strange one. I've done the check on the waterfall parameters, but makes no difference. Also been back into FLDIGI and changed the 'sweet spot' to the same as yours, but still no difference - whenever XML-RPC is initialised the 'QSY' button in FLDIGI is greyed out.

Could it be rig related I wonder, maybe a driver issue, I know that FLDIGI doesn't have a specific one for the FT5000 it uses the FT2000.

Any other FT5000 users out there experience this, or indeed anyone else care to check their configurations? I know some data users don't bother with optimising signals to centre in their receiver pass bands, so wouldn't be aware.

Regards

Steve
GW4BLE
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

You refer to a "QSY' button but the sweet spot button is not called that in FLDigi its a 'Center display" button as shown below.

Are we perhaps at cross purposes, I thought you were referring to centring on the sweet spot?
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (50.88 KiB) Viewed 9822 times
73 Terry G4POP
GW4BLE
Novice Class

Post by GW4BLE »

Ah! you've got me there Terry..............just switched off the radios / software before doing something else.

Yes, I am referring to the 'QSY' button and where it moves the signal to the centre of the passband. On my version of FLDIGI (believe its the latest) it does indeed have a button marked 'QSY'. I guess yours does not ? I'll check this out later....

Thanks.
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

3.21.83 is the latest FLDIGI .... I started up mine but i also don´t have a button which is called "QSY" ..... Looks like you have an older version. Try the "Check for updates" function in the help menu.
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
GW4BLE
Novice Class

Post by GW4BLE »

We are at cross purposes here Terry, I am referring to the rigs bandwidth, this is different to the "centre display on frequency" that you refer to. The 'centre display on frequency' is not the 'sweet spot'.

The "centre display" (that button you pointed to) is to do with the waterfall display and sound card sampling rates. I was referring to actual transceiver bandwidth which is totally separate of course - that's what FLDIGI mean by the 'sweet spot'.

I've checked my version of FLDIGI and it's 3.21.83. Are you saying the 'QSY' button (which would be further to the right in your screen shot) does not appear at all in your version - not even greyed out ?

Steve
GW4BLE
GW4BLE
Novice Class

Post by GW4BLE »

Terry, FYI, and others following this thread I've just looked at the FLDIGI Users manual (should have done so before my previous post), it confirms what I was saying.....

<quote>
The QSY button is very specific to rigs interfaced with either hamlib or the memory mapped i/o. Each rig has a sweet spot associated with its bandwidth controller. For the Argonaut V this is 1100 Hz. For the the Kachina it is 1000 Hz. As the transceivers bandwidth is changed the changes occur centered at this frequency. So .... let's say that I just started copying a rare dx at 1758 Hz and I wanted to put the signal at the sweet spot so I could easily narrow the receiver bandwidth. Click on the signal on the waterfall. Let the AFC capture and then press the QSY button. The tranceiver frequency will be shifted and the fldigi audio tracking point shifted in unison such that the signal is now at the receivers sweet spot. Very fast and very convenient! If you do not have hamlib enabled for your transceiver this button will be dimmed and not activated.
<end of quote>

I appears therefore that 'Hamlib' must be enabled for this feature to work and is the reason why I guess that it's greyed out when LOG4OM is linked with XML-RPC. Doesn't explain why it wasn't visible at all with your version though Terry?

Pity, if as appears the case, we can't make use of this very handy feature... ?

Steve
GW4BLE
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

The button indicated on the screen shot does exactly as you describe, suggest that you update FLDigi
73 Terry G4POP