NEW "Net Control" feature suggestion

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: NEW "Net Control" feature suggestion

Post by IW3HMH »

I'll ask Terry a small analysis on that evolution request. Many things could be easier to do. I've some plans for 1.20 but this could be included.
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Précis of a complete revision of “Net Control” as proposed by J45K – Kumar

1. Create a new version of the standard Log4OM home page when the 'Net Control' link is activated. In this way it is possible to see all station information under the F1 to F6 tabs, change RST reports on the fly, see the check-in on the world map and monitor the DX cluster.
2. The 'Recent QSO' F8 tab should function as a scratch pad of check-ins for that session.
3. At the end of the net, click ‘save and exit’ to transfer those records into the main database and empty all of the records in that net.
4. A function should be added to the Log4OM Options/Settings to setup a 'NEW' net and its parameters
5. The 'Net Control' function would be a drop down menu to allow selection of the name of the desired net.
6. The 'Inactive Operator' pane is redundant.
7. The 'Plus' key should be used to log every entry to the net. It should include the Send/Receive RST function within its dialog box.
8. Provide a single Click and Save for the entire 'Active Operator' list when closing the net.
9. For each entry, include a 'Plus' dialog box to include a Clock timer -- Start/End and 'ADD' QSO function?
10. ‘Double-click' should highlight an existing 'Active Operator' entry to change some aspect of the data within the dialog box.
11. The 'Active Operator' list should be numerically numbered from first to last. That way, IW3HMH was perhaps the first to check-in, and G4POP was number four on the list to the assembled net audience.
12. Provide a separate (a clone of the) of the program titled "Net4OM". This would be the Log4OM GUI with the Net Control page overlay?
E.G. Make it possible to download the Net Control as its own program. ADIF export would allow for appending the records to my Log4OM database and all of the various net 'name' records would be easily reviewable under Net4OM.
13. Add user defined message-handling forms and net traffic notices in a PDF format, useful to a controller when running Emergency Communication Nets on a day-to-day basis.
14. Add the ability to store and recapture user defined messages electronically by net session and date.

Basically a complete rewrite!

I use Net Control on a daily basis and sometimes two or three nets per day and the existing control is fine for normal purposes.

What is being proposed is a net control and reporting system for emergency operations like MARS and RAYNET these organisation all have very different and specific requirements and they provide their own reporting systems and forms.

My own opinion FWIW is that this is outside the design objectives of Log4OM and will only be of interest to a small percentage of users that are involved in emergency operations.
73 Terry G4POP
gi0hwo
Novice Class

Post by gi0hwo »

As a former Command & Control Centre Manager I feel that what is being asked for is more like an EmComm system.
Such software can cost a great deal of money and whilst ideal for the emergency situation, is total overkill in the Amateur environment.
Net control in Log4om needs some refinement certainly, but in my view to do what is being asked for is a step too far and outside the scope of what is at the end off the day a logging program. "KISS" Certainly applies here.
J85K
Advanced Class

Post by J85K »

G4NVB wrote:The NET's can be in excess of 20 stations.

Our Regional Caribbean (South America - Central America - North America) nets garner an average of forty to fifty check-ins from a base of about two to three hundred hams. And all don't have a R5/S9 signal. It would be great to change the default on the fly per check-in.

http://www.cewn.net/

http://www.friendly7188net.net/

Kumar
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Default is default and will be applied to anyone, I don't understand what you mean as default per check in.
Please explain me better what you think
Thanks
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
J85K
Advanced Class

Post by J85K »

Net4OM default signal reporting.JPG
Net4OM default signal reporting.JPG (11.71 KiB) Viewed 6305 times
IW3HMH wrote: I don't understand what you mean as default per check in. Please explain me better what you think Thanks
Hello Daniele_IW3HMH,

With respect to the signal reporting structure in the 'Net Control' module, the 'default' value (R1 to R5, S1 to S9 etc. as set by the operator at the time of the session) will be the same for all check-ins into that net session.

My ability to see and amend signal reports per check-in as you log each station, is a superior tool to empirically judge the quality of a particular station/s over time. It is useful in filtering the decision making process to select Net Control / Net Relay stations outside of the impact of propagation conditions.

For instance, I can announce to session participants, the comparative signal strengths of two or more stations checking in from the same country, as heard by me on a particular day.

Regards,

Kumar_J85K
gi0hwo
Novice Class

Post by gi0hwo »

This is possible now.
Just highlight the call in the inactive pane, amend the report using the dropdown and then make them active.
The QSO will be logged with whatever report you have assigned.

73 de John GI8IZB/GI0HWO/EI7JO
J85K
Advanced Class

Post by J85K »

gi0hwo wrote:This is possible now.
Just highlight the call in the inactive pane, amend the report using the dropdown and then make them active.
The QSO will be logged with whatever report you have assigned.

Hello John,

The ability to do so is better assigned in the 'Active' pane.

As a Net Control Station, I may get several persons checking in one behind the other. If say, IW3HMH, G4POP, Gi8IZB, EI7JO check in to the net; I will naturally seek to place them from 'Inactive' to 'Active' least I forget someone, or I will have to establish redundancy in keeping both a written and electronic log.

Upon receiving each station traffic in in a more leisurely manner, this is the time to send and receive signal reports and 'ADD' any comments to that station's log.

I believe that moderators can look at my log entries in Log4OM. My CEWN and Friendly net daily contacts are there for my portion of the net.

http://j85kvc.wix.com/j85k#!blank/c1n7y
http://j85kvc.wix.com/j85k#!club-log/c1o1v

Thanks and regards,

Kumar_J85K
gi0hwo
Novice Class

Post by gi0hwo »

I repeat.
What you are asking for is more suited to an EmComm program.
The vast majority of Amateurs have no need for this.

"KISS"

Log4om is an Amateur Radio Program
It has no need, and was not designed for EmComm.

I can supply you with the names of several programs that will fulfill your needs but be prepared to spend a lot of money.

J85K
Advanced Class

Post by J85K »

gi0hwo wrote:I repeat."KISS" -- be prepared to spend a lot of money. 73 de John GI8IZB/GI0HWO/EI7JO
Hello again John_GI8IZB,

Please don't pop a blood vessel!! I am only making a suggestion. -- What I See, Is What You Get -- "WISIWYG"

I know, and Terry has already indicated prior on another issue; that NOT all suggestions can / will be taken on board. In your own analysis, there is a unique opportunity to 'invent' with a view to assist the development of local/ national/ regional/ and specific En-Comm net activities with a new product for those who will not have deep pockets.

The Caribbean, Pacific, South-East Asia, Central and West (think Ebola) Africa areas come to mind. In my own case, the chit chat on Caribbean frequencies underpin our interest and availability to assist when needed in our region. Do come join us on The Friendly 7.188 Net from 1000Z. Its a blast!!

I will continue my 'paper' logs as they have shown a high degree of value and resiliency yet to be matched in the electronic world at a nominal price-point. I mean no disrespect to Log4OM and its developers and I deeply appreciate their free-ware, as I am unemployed. I was simply giving my $0.02 on improvements to the module -- 'Net Control'.

J85K - QRT

Cordially,

Kumar