NEW "Net Control" feature suggestion

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
J85K
Advanced Class

NEW "Net Control" feature suggestion

Post by J85K »

I would like to lobby for a more robust 'Net Control' interface. The present feature in its stand alone window leaves a lot to be desired. While it may seem 'cool' 8-) to pull an individual from the 'Inactive' to the 'Active' list, there is no easy way to assign a signal report. In addition, the 'Plus' dialog box automatically puts a new entry into the 'Inactive' column, necessitating a move to the 'Active' side. I usually have 50 to 80 check-ins per session from a pool of perhaps 200; times two separate Caribbean regional nets. It takes time to scroll a long 'Inactive' list to find the 'station', checking in. Finally, at the end of the session, it is a tedious process to transfer the 'Active' operator to 'Inactive' status before closing the net.

Quite honestly, it is quicker and more informative, to keep both a written and the regular electronic Log4OM list per session. I can see on the paper log the numerical position of each check-in, any notes on frequencies assigned for off net QSO's, and a record of other notices/news mentioned on net. The Log4OM provides complete control over changing values and making notes, and holds the record to confirm the contact when a QSL card is received.

SUGGESTION:-

Lets us have an "ITERATION" of the standard Log4OM home page when the 'Net Control' link is activated. In this way, I'll be able to see immediate station information under the F1 to F6 tabs, change RST reports on the fly, see the check-in on the world map and monitor the DX cluster. The 'Recent QSO' F8 tab can function as a scratch pad of check-ins for that session. At the end of the net, one would click save and exit, which transfers those records into the main database and empties all of the records in that "ITERATION".

We can add a function under the log4OM Options/Settings to setup a 'NEW' net and its parameters. The 'Net Control' function would be a drop down menu to allow selection of the name of the desired net.

I am confident that an improved 'Net Control' interface will be well utilised .......

Thanks and regards,

Kumar_J85K
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: NEW "Net Control" feature suggestion

Post by IW3HMH »

Well, probably i've missed part of the concept, so i apologize in advance...
"integrating" the main user interface with NET control is not possible, using the main UI as "net control" is not possible due to the highly customized set of events that are binded to the main user interface.
What i can do is, as example, add a "search" function on the right side (inactive) to make it fast to retrieve informations about QSO and add more informations on the left side, when you're saving QSO (qso is saved when you "remove" a call from the net). Also double click allow you to set some informations about QSO, this could be a way to add some informations too...

please explain more your idea :)

lele
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
J85K
Advanced Class

Post by J85K »

IW3HMH wrote: "integrating" the main user interface with NET control is not possible, using the main UI as "net control" is not possible due to the highly customized set of events that are binded to the main user interface.

I note your difficulty as outlined. If the 'Net Control' standalone page was a 'clone' of the main Log4OM User Interface page with all of its functions; at 'Open Net', its records would be zero, and upon 'Close Net', all check-ins would transferred to the default/main database .

IW3HMH wrote:What i can do is, as example, add a "search" function on the right side (inactive) to make it fast to retrieve information about QSO's

I actually think that the 'Inactive Operator' pane is redundant. The 'Plus' key should be used to log every entry to the net. It should include the Send/Receive RST function within its dialog box.

IW3HMH wrote: Add more information on the left side, when you're saving QSO (QSO is saved when you "remove" a call from the net)

Could we not have a single Click and Save for the entire 'Active Operator' list at finish?
Or, for each entry, can the 'Plus' dialog box include a Clock timer -- Start/End and 'ADD' QSO function?

IW3HMH wrote:Also double click allow you to set some information about QSO's

'Double-click' should allow one to highlight an existing 'Active Operator' entry to change some aspect of the data within the dialog box.

It would be fantastic if the 'Active Operator' list is numerically numbered from first to last. That way, I might say IW3HMH was the first check-in, and G4POP was number four on the list to the assembled net audience.
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

J85K wrote:
IW3HMH wrote: "integrating" the main user interface with NET control is not possible, using the main UI as "net control" is not possible due to the highly customized set of events that are binded to the main user interface.

I note your difficulty as outlined. If the 'Net Control' standalone page was a 'clone' of the main Log4OM User Interface page with all of its functions; at 'Open Net', its records would be zero, and upon 'Close Net', all check-ins would transferred to the default/main database .

Unfortunately the main page is the earth of the software, and the catcher of every event that happens in the sub systems. Unfortunately it's not possible "cloning" this part... we should work on something new.

IW3HMH wrote:What i can do is, as example, add a "search" function on the right side (inactive) to make it fast to retrieve information about QSO's

I actually think that the 'Inactive Operator' pane is redundant. The 'Plus' key should be used to log every entry to the net. It should include the Send/Receive RST function within its dialog box.

Inactive is made to allow you to have a predefined NET, with a predefined number of counterparts, and bring them to the active list when (and if) they come online.
It make sense if you think about that.

IW3HMH wrote: Add more information on the left side, when you're saving QSO (QSO is saved when you "remove" a call from the net)

Could we not have a single Click and Save for the entire 'Active Operator' list at finish?
Or, for each entry, can the 'Plus' dialog box include a Clock timer -- Start/End and 'ADD' QSO function?

Yes we can do that but, again, NET is made to be flexible, allowing users enter and exit and mantain a "current" list of online operators. You can obviously keep everyone in active status till the end, but if you want to keep trace of users entering and exiting you should have a list of active operators.

IW3HMH wrote:Also double click allow you to set some information about QSO's

'Double-click' should allow one to highlight an existing 'Active Operator' entry to change some aspect of the data within the dialog box.
It would be fantastic if the 'Active Operator' list is numerically numbered from first to last. That way, I might say IW3HMH was the first check-in, and G4POP was number four on the list to the assembled net audience.

[/quote]

I think we can add a number on that :)
J85K
Advanced Class

Post by J85K »

I thank you Danielle for taking the time to consider my suggestion. I'll leave to you and the Design Team to work it out.

It is very pleasing that you are available to field comments.

All the best,

Kumar_J85K
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

It's a pleasure to me implement new features.
The only limit is the software structure that has some assumptions that cannot be changed without rewriting almost everything and some small things that seems simple but somewhere the code behind is really intricate and somewhat delicate to be changed without a complete re testing.

All my best
J85K
Advanced Class

Post by J85K »

IW3HMH wrote: The only limit is the software structure that has some assumptions that cannot be changed without rewriting almost everything and some small things that seems simple but somewhere the code behind is really intricate and somewhat delicate to be changed without a complete re testing.
Hello Danielle_IW3HMH,

I have been mulling over your reply for several days now, and I just had a wild thought!

How easy will it be, to do a separate (a clone of the) program titled "Net4OM". which is essentially the Log4OM GUI with the Net Control page overlay?

That is to say I would download the Net Control as its own program. ADIF export would allow me to append records to my Log4OM database whenever I should desire, and all of my various net 'name' records would be easily reviewable under Net4OM.

Thanks again,

Kumar_J85K
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

:D :D :D
Unfortunately making a copy of Log4Om and build a net control over it it's not so simple as copying an excel file and changing some rows :)
Let me have some time, i'm actually really busy on new release and porting to VS2013 so i will not have so much time to analyze your requests in deep...
but i bookmarked this thread for future reference :)

Be patient :)
J85K
Advanced Class

Post by J85K »

IW3HMH wrote: I bookmarked this thread for future reference :) Be patient :)
When you get to it; please consider the addition of user customisable message handling forms and net traffic notices perhaps in a PDF form, which can be particularly useful to a controller when running Emergency Communication Nets on a day to day basis.

:idea: The ability to store and recapture such entries electronically by net session and date, would be evolutionary.

Thanks and best regards,

Kumar_J85K
G4NVB
Advanced Class

Post by G4NVB »

With Worked all Britain (WAB) Net Control there is no way of knowing who may call into the NET, could be one of many thousands. The NET's can be in excess of 20 stations.
73 de David G4NVB