leading zeros for contest serial numbers

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
dk2lo
Old Man

leading zeros for contest serial numbers

Post by dk2lo »

I tested the Winkeyer support with my microHAM CW Keyer successfully. Also in the contest mode the auto generation of serial numbers with the <CONT_TX> macro worked.

In CW-contests it is common that the running serial numbers less than 100 are filled up with leading zeros (Ts). In my Winkeyer configuration this option is available but I did not get it work together with LOG4OM. Is this feature already available? If not I would like to get it in a future release.
73 Olaf DK2LO
G3UGK
Novice Class

Re: leading zeros for contest serial numbers

Post by G3UGK »

Is there a solution to this? I can't find anything in either Winkeyer settings or Log40M settings.

Phil
G3UGK
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

I have just searched for the Winkeyer command list for doing this and failed to find it.

If you can provide the K1EL Winkeyer command for doing this we can include it but the command structure list supplied to us by K1EL does not seem to include it?
73 Terry G4POP
G3UGK
Novice Class

Post by G3UGK »

I've asked on the K1EL forums and apparently it's to dowith "cut numbers", which are supported by some logging programs. Winkeyer can manage these in standalone mode, but not when under the control of a logging program. So does Log4OM support these "cut numbers"?
Phil
G3UGK
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

G3UGK wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 08:42 I've asked on the K1EL forums and apparently it's to dowith "cut numbers", which are supported by some logging programs. Winkeyer can manage these in standalone mode, but not when under the control of a logging program. So does Log4OM support these "cut numbers"?
Phil
G3UGK
'Cut numbers' are not actual numbers or programming code they are an alpha substitute for a number, so for zero (0) use 'T' see traditional explanation below:

"In Morse code, all numbers consist of five dots and/or dashes, which takes a fairly long time to send. "Cut numbers" provide an alternative way of representing numbers using (mostly) shorter Morse sequences that are faster to sent.

Note that for all numbers except "5", the "cut" numbers simply replace all the dashes in the usual Morse representation of the number with a single dash. This is an easy way to remember the cut numbers. By far the most common in practise are "T" for "0" and "N" for "9", so you should be familiar with at least these. "

So it appears that there is no actual command in the Winkeyer code for this, which is confirmed by it not being on the command list that Steve K1EL supplied to us, hence its omission in Log4OM.

Therefore we need to write code to allow the user to select 'cut numbers' or otherwise and then provide a conversion from the report number to the Cut number.

The question is do you require the full range of cut numbers 0-9 or just 'T' (0) and 'N' (9)

I have to admit that I have not found the need for this as I always send everything except the CQ call by hand, not by macro! and this is only the second time we have been asked for it since we introduced Winkeyer support 3 years ago.

EDIT
Or would it be sufficient to add an additional macro like the existing one for cut numbers for the report only

<CONT_TX> Contest SENT using numbers for leading zeros (0)
<CONTN_TX> Contest SENT using 'T' to replace leading zeros
73 Terry G4POP
G3UGK
Novice Class

Post by G3UGK »

Thanks Terry
At the moment my simple macro goes: R 5nn<CONT_TX>
So replacing ther simple <CONT_TX> with your second suggestion:

<CONTN_TX> Contest SENT using 'T' to replace leading zeros

would be ideal.

Though obviously as it's not been in high demand :-) I don't want to suggest additional work...

Not worried about 9's and other numbers. I send them complete except as in the macro above.

Phil
G3UGK
N9LQ
Novice Class

Post by N9LQ »

FWIW, I also like the idea of adding a macro for the Winkeyer tool so we could choose whether to "cut" the leading zeros when using the contest mode.
73, Joel
N9LQ