An Option for QSl Sent in "F8 - Recent QSO"

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
CT1BXX
Old Man

An Option for QSl Sent in "F8 - Recent QSO"

Post by CT1BXX »

From a Colleague...

Hi,
A portuguese colleague (CT1DZH) called me today by phone, to ask me a question or at same time to expose to the forum his idea in order to see if it is possible to incorporate in future (no matter when)
The software he uses now, has the possibility to show the Log ( the equivalent of our F8-Recent QSO) in a way that is very easy to know some information, only because it uses some colours.In a glance, he knows if a qsl card has been sent or not, or if is confirmed,...

The software uses several colours to indentify those sitautions.
Although it has several colour options he only uses one colur to identify if a QSL card has been sent or not, e g he got a specific highlight to show if the QSL card has been sent.
I have not thought about it before, but it seems quite interesting.
Thanks for your comments, to send to him, he do not speak english, so asked me to expose the matter in forum.
73 Manuel Fernando CT1BXX
VK7XX
Old Man

Re: An Option for QSl Sent in "F8 - Recent QSO"

Post by VK7XX »

Logger32 has this coloured area feature and it sure did make it very easy to see what is going on when I was using that programme. I would vote 'yes' for addition of this feature providing that the colours were user selectable.

John
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

I would be in favor of this feature, it would be very useful. To build on it, would it be possible to have logic also which would indicate by a seperate color those qso's which if confirmed, would be a new dxcc entity, another color for new band, another for mode. Sort of the same concept as the cluster grid.

Just a thought.

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
gi4fue
Advanced Class

Post by gi4fue »

A definite Yes from me! - perhaps requested and confirmed, but different colours for Bureau/manager and LOTW

73 de Charlie GI4FUE
N5INP
Old Man

Post by N5INP »

Yes to colors!
F4BPO
Old Man

Post by F4BPO »

Yes also !
73 de XV9BPO Greg
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

I have been thinking about this and I can't see why it is necessary when we have dedicated windows in the "Statistics & Awards" facility which already provides this facility and far more?

The F8 window only displays a few of the recent QSO's unless the user scrolls down the list and then only displays individual QSO's

Your really need to know if a country has had the QSL sent or not, has been confirmed or verified on a band and/or mode and this is available in statistics with the added advantage of a click providing a list of the QSO's for that country, band or mode.

Colours in the cluster are justified but I think to add colours to the F8 window is just over complicating the interface unnecessarily when a far better facility is already provided in Statistics.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (89.35 KiB) Viewed 6183 times
Screenshot 2014-11-17 07.05.41.png
Screenshot 2014-11-17 07.05.41.png (57.74 KiB) Viewed 6183 times
73 Terry G4POP
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Thanks Terry for your post and feedback!

I have pondered your post for a day, and it certainly merits consideration. After working with that display for a bit today, I have the following thoughts.

True, you can see information about what countries have QSL sent but not received, confirmed and validated by band and mode - in one display. That display does a nice job of that. But what it does not do is order the information chronologically like the Recent QSO log does. Rather it list by country. When I start to work on QSL projects, I like to focus on the more recent QSO's first, and work backwards. Maybe I am weird in that respect. Having been licensed since 1964, there are many old contacts which I will never ever get confirmed, and I would rather not go through those with the Statistics page. Also, I think there are hams who would like to track QSL based on call sign and recent activity, regardless of the status of the DXCC status. For those reasons, I think the color coding of the Recent QSO table would still be useful. And it might be an option for display by check-box.

Just my thoughts. Thanks!

Doug
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

But what it does not do is order the information chronologically like the Recent QSO log does. Rather it list by country. When I start to work on QSL projects, I like to focus on the more recent QSO's first, and work backwards. Maybe I am weird in that respect. Having been licensed since 1964, there are many old contacts which I will never ever get confirmed, and I would rather not go through those with the Statistics page. Also, I think there are hams who would like to track QSL based on call sign and recent activity, regardless of the status of the DXCC status.
I must be missing something here but it seems that what you require is available in the QSL print manager?

Last week I wanted to catch up on sending my paper QSL cards as follows.

I don't QSL inside Europe unless a QSL is requested and these I deal with at the time of the request on an individual basis so this was what I did in the QSL manager.

1. Filtered on QSL sent = No
2. Sorted on DXCC not equal to the regions of Europe I wanted to exclude

Now I have a list of QSO's I had with stations outside Europe that I have not sent paper QSL's to

Because I don't want to QSL to stations that already confirmed by LOTW I added another search parameter

3. LOTW Received status not equal to "V"

So now I have a list of QSO's that have only the ones that I want to QSL (outside Europe) that I have not already sent a paper QSL to and that have not already been verified by LOTW - I could filter right down to those on Islands with an IOTA reference where the operator name was Doug - The "Search parameter" tool is very powerful :D

They are ordered chronologically newest first but you could change this by clicking the date column title

Now I just proceed through the rest of the print procedure

In your example just search for QSL received status equals No and any other filter to refine the list to just those that you want to send a QSL to.

Basically the program is designed for you to search and sort the data using either the QSO Manager, QSL Manager or Statistics facilities, to now start adding a highlight facility seems pointless especially just to facilitate the sending of QSL's one at a time by identifying them by colour, that's a hard and time consuming way of processing QSL cards!

However perhaps I missed some fundamental point in which case please detail step by step what exactly you want to do so that this thick 74 year old ham can better understand your requirements :D
73 Terry G4POP
gi0hwo
Novice Class

Post by gi0hwo »

I'm with you Terry.

There are much better ways of managing QSL status.

I would hate to see the F8 window looking like an explosion in a Paint Factory.

73 de John - GI0HWO