An Option for QSl Sent in "F8 - Recent QSO"

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
VK7XX
Old Man

Re: An Option for QSl Sent in "F8 - Recent QSO"

Post by VK7XX »

IW3HMH wrote:it's hard to make everyone happy :)
there is a saying that go's like this....
You can please some of the people all of the time
You can please all of the people some of the time
but, you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

And thank you for a fabulous logging programme.

John
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

;)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

G4POP wrote:
But what it does not do is order the information chronologically like the Recent QSO log does. Rather it list by country. When I start to work on QSL projects, I like to focus on the more recent QSO's first, and work backwards. Maybe I am weird in that respect. Having been licensed since 1964, there are many old contacts which I will never ever get confirmed, and I would rather not go through those with the Statistics page. Also, I think there are hams who would like to track QSL based on call sign and recent activity, regardless of the status of the DXCC status.
I must be missing something here but it seems that what you require is available in the QSL print manager?

Last week I wanted to catch up on sending my paper QSL cards as follows.

I don't QSL inside Europe unless a QSL is requested and these I deal with at the time of the request on an individual basis so this was what I did in the QSL manager.

1. Filtered on QSL sent = No
2. Sorted on DXCC not equal to the regions of Europe I wanted to exclude

Now I have a list of QSO's I had with stations outside Europe that I have not sent paper QSL's to

Because I don't want to QSL to stations that already confirmed by LOTW I added another search parameter

3. LOTW Received status not equal to "V"

So now I have a list of QSO's that have only the ones that I want to QSL (outside Europe) that I have not already sent a paper QSL to and that have not already been verified by LOTW - I could filter right down to those on Islands with an IOTA reference where the operator name was Doug - The "Search parameter" tool is very powerful :D

They are ordered chronologically newest first but you could change this by clicking the date column title

Now I just proceed through the rest of the print procedure

In your example just search for QSL received status equals No and any other filter to refine the list to just those that you want to send a QSL to.

Basically the program is designed for you to search and sort the data using either the QSO Manager, QSL Manager or Statistics facilities, to now start adding a highlight facility seems pointless especially just to facilitate the sending of QSL's one at a time by identifying them by colour, that's a hard and time consuming way of processing QSL cards!

However perhaps I missed some fundamental point in which case please detail step by step what exactly you want to do so that this thick 74 year old ham can better understand your requirements :D
Thanks Terry for your response and your example. I have learned some things from it which I had not explored before.

I think the above example is useful, IF you do not care about or make a priority of QSL'ing to those stations for which you need for awards, specifically DXCC.

What I am trying to accomplish is to work chronologically down my QSO's, WITH an eye towards DXCC entities needed. The color coded Cluster display is great for identifying countries, bands and modes you need to work. The Statistics and Awards window is great for tracking those countries which you have worked and still need confirmed. What the original requester on this thread was suggesting was a Chronological display (Your Log), color coded to highlight contacts which you have worked, that if confirmed would add a new DXCC entity, BAND or MODE. I don't think this would be a cluttered display, anymore than the color coding on the cluster display is cluttered. Color coding can add clarity and useful information, as it does on the cluster display.

Here is an example of what this display of Recent QSO's could look like. Performance wise, this could be a drain on resources, so an option to turn on this feature might be useful.

In this example, there are two qso's, which if confirmed would add new DXCC entities - India and Ascension Is. In addition, there are two other QSO's which would add new bands - Marshall Is. and Galapagos Is. And the Marshall Is. QSO would be a new mode. Once these QSO's were confirmed by QSL or Verified by LotW, the color coding would drop off the Recent QSO display.

Thanks again for the feedback and consideration of this request.
Doug - W7DRM
Attachments
LogColorCodedDXCC.jpg
LogColorCodedDXCC.jpg (231.69 KiB) Viewed 4050 times
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

G4POP wrote:
Last week I wanted to catch up on sending my paper QSL cards as follows.

I don't QSL inside Europe unless a QSL is requested and these I deal with at the time of the request on an individual basis so this was what I did in the QSL manager.

1. Filtered on QSL sent = No
2. Sorted on DXCC not equal to the regions of Europe I wanted to exclude

Now I have a list of QSO's I had with stations outside Europe that I have not sent paper QSL's to

Because I don't want to QSL to stations that already confirmed by LOTW I added another search parameter

3. LOTW Received status not equal to "V"

So now I have a list of QSO's that have only the ones that I want to QSL (outside Europe) that I have not already sent a paper QSL to and that have not already been verified by LOTW
Terry, one other thing I should bring up with your example above: I had a heck of a time getting the argument QSL Sent = No to work. I tried the following and they all failed to show any QSO's:
QSL Sent = No,
QSL Sent = "No"
QSL Sent = 'No'
QSL Sent = "N - No" (This is the data displayed throughout Log4OM)
QSL Sent = 'N - No' ( ditto )

I had to open up my log in a SQLite editor to see what the actual data was in the database. It turns out that the qslSent field contains either an N or Y!
So I found that QSL Sent = N would work.

Seems there is a disconnect between what data is displayed within Log4OM and the actual data in the database, at least for those binary fields. Not a problem unless you need to know the actual data to make the query work! Should not the query (search Parameter) function work on what is displayed to the user, if the user is to have any chance of making the Search Parameters work? Or have I stumbled onto something odd, which others are not seeing?

Thanks!
Doug
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Found an issue on that, and fixed on 1.20.0 (next release)
This will also fix "corrupted" logs on load.

I'll release soon as beta.

Thanks for reporting
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Thanks Daniele!
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA