Flrig/Fldigi XML-RPC support

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
k3dcw
Advanced Class

Flrig/Fldigi XML-RPC support

Post by k3dcw »

I think that as an addition to HAMLIB and Omnirig, support for the use of Flrig and/or Fldigi as the "rig control" software would be a nice feature. Communication can be handled via XML-RPC.

Ideally, one could use Flrig for CAT and have both Log4OM and Fldigi connected to it.

Thanks for the consideration.

Dave
K3DCW
K3DCW
Elecraft K3
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Flrig/Fldigi XML-RPC support

Post by G4POP »

This is already on our Mantis list together with integration with MixW
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

the only "drawback" is that we need to implement in log4om code a lot of different communication ways...
Omnirig is a VB6 application that needs to be encapsulated to intercept fired events. Hamlib is pure tcp without events that needs to be polled...
XML RPC is another "layer" that should be mantained on top of the existing one.

We have it on our plans, but i really wish to know how it works and if it will be mantained in the future (omnirig is almost discontinued, hamlib is alive and upgrading but it's much more hard to use and configure)... Hard choices :)

Daniele
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
k3dcw
Advanced Class

Post by k3dcw »

Yes, Daniele, a lot of hard choices.

In favor of Flrig is that it is a product under active development along with all of the other Fl* programs, but the XML-RPC does add another layer, as you said.
K3DCW
Elecraft K3
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Well, if the development is active and "alive" this can be a good addition to the program.
I'm already working on XML-RPC to talk with FLDigi... need some experience on that, because Log4OM is pretty modular, but adding a brand new CAT system integrated with everything needs to be approached with calm and relax :)

Daniele
IW3RAB
Advanced Class

Post by IW3RAB »

IW3HMH wrote:Well, if the development is active and "alive" this can be a good addition to the program.
I'm already working on XML-RPC to talk with FLDigi... need some experience on that, because Log4OM is pretty modular, but adding a brand new CAT system integrated with everything needs to be approached with calm and relax :)

Daniele
Time ago I try to interface fldigi and is possible.
There is a lot of code to write and test, and FLDigi have added several functions in last year of releases.
This mean that an additional library must be maintained to be syncronized with program release.
The CAT is very stable.
In FLDigi 3.21 now is released version 72.

The other (dark) side of discussion is the audio connection.
Each program requires its audio configuration and not all Hams have a computer, a radio and a audio board for any new protocols .......

How many programs I can use at sime time ??

73 Sandro IW3RAB
Attachments
FLDIGI-XMLRPC-W.7z
(50.34 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
Sandro IW3RAB
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Interesting work Sandro, i'll check asap.
One of the most requested features is provide informations to FLDigi about rig frequency and so on.
If FLDigi can send informations through XMLRPC it's possible to use a better performing way instead of polling a text file with ADIF inside.

Daniele
IW3RAB
Advanced Class

Post by IW3RAB »

IW3HMH wrote:Interesting work Sandro, i'll check asap.
One of the most requested features is provide informations to FLDigi about rig frequency and so on.
If FLDigi can send informations through XMLRPC it's possible to use a better performing way instead of polling a text file with ADIF inside.

Daniele
Its very fast.
A partial list of functions is at http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.22/xm ... ntrol.html.
The actual functions are in xmlrpc.cxx (see after line 2800 for the names).
73 Sandro
Sandro IW3RAB
k3dcw
Advanced Class

Post by k3dcw »

You might want to reach out to Tom (DL2RUM) who implemented support for Fldigi (frequency/mode tracking, plus log monitoring) into RUMlog on OS X. His address is tom at dl2rum.de.

Dave
K3DCW
K3DCW
Elecraft K3
IW3RAB
Advanced Class

Post by IW3RAB »

k3dcw wrote:You might want to reach out to Tom (DL2RUM) who implemented support for Fldigi (frequency/mode tracking, plus log monitoring) into RUMlog on OS X. His address is tom at dl2rum.de.

Dave
K3DCW
Hi Dave,
thanks for the post.

Though OS X is very different from Windows the network protocol is some ...

73 Sandro
IW3RAB
Sandro IW3RAB