Automate 'Select Configurations'

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Automate 'Select Configurations'

Post by IW3HMH »

It's a long debated question
Technically it's possible, but there are a couple of services that needs to be reconfigured, and some of those are related to external systems.

As example the cluster, where you "login" with your actual callsign. Switching configuration require a cluster disconnection and manual reconnection (because you can customize also your cluster settings in the meanwhile).
Another service that is linked to the user profile is the CAT system. You can have different CAT settings for each profile. This one also require a CAT disconnection/reconnection and in some case you may be in /P with totally different settings.
Also Omnirig cannot be "switched" by external software, so the only way i have to close Omnirig is to close the calling software, Log4OM. Other "profile related" configurations are GROWL/PROWL, email settings and external digital mode software.

For all those reasons i decided to do a "clean restart" for each profile change. In a probably near future i've plans to bring some "frequently changed" parameters (like station callsign, my SOTA and similar ones) to an "fast change" user interface to switch them on the fly without needs to restart Log4OM.
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
KT5V
Advanced Class

Post by KT5V »

Thanks for considering alternatives to the profiles and the restart Daniele. I was originally attracted to Log4OM because of the profiles. I find they work well when the profile information changes infrequently or to document log entries from previous QTHs.

In practice however, I find that I really only use one. As I become more active using remote stations, I find myself switching back and forth between remote station profiles (I access several remotes on occasion) and my home station profile during one operating session. Its just not helpful to have the program restart each time.

My current work-around is simply leave on one active profile and log the remote QSOs manually. Unfortunately this means a lot of manual editing of QSOs to get my QTH related information correct in the log. Also, defeats some of the nice automation for QSL management on LoTW.

I don't know that there is an easy solution without adding complexity that not everyone would use.

73 de David KT5V
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Unfortunately this works that way deeply in the code, and changing this behaviour will require a complete code review.
In next release i've removed (better, added a user choice) when Log4Om starts if another instance is found running. I'm testing that feature in these days
That way you can have an installed version of Log4OM and multiple "portable edition" directories, each one with his own configuration that run together.

Obviously you should handle resource concurrency (COM ports, as example, for CAT) but you can share the same database if needed...
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH