Resume after loss of CAT and Internet

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
VE3VEE
Old Man

Resume after loss of CAT and Internet

Post by VE3VEE »

Recently I started to use Win-Test contest logging software. I have been very much impressed by how it handles the loss of the Internet and also the loss of the CAT connection. I am able to turn off my TS-480 and then when I later turn it on the software just simply resumes the correct operation without me having to move a finger. The same with the Internet/cluster.

For the past several months I've been using also the VE7CC cluster software. Also in this software, I love how the loss of the Internet is handled. It just resumes when the Internet becomes available, even when the Internet connectivity happens to be reestablished a day later.

This is how I would love LOG4OM to behave. I would prefer not to have pop-ups telling me of my CAT connection or the Internet connection loss. I would love it if LOG4OM would instead indefinitely watch for the CAT and the Internet, and then resume when connected.

I use my remote station from various locations like home, work, car, etc. Currently, with LOG4OM, when I take my laptop from my house to my car, I get a pop-up telling me the cluster lost its connection to the Internet and another pop-up telling me the CAT connection was lost. I have to then close the pop-ups (pain :cry: ) and later restart the cluster (more pain :evil: ) and re-establish CAT connection (even more pain :twisted: , LOL).

If it is not too difficult to modify this behavior of LOG4OM, I would very much love it. :mrgreen:

73 Marvin VE3VEE
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Resume after loss of CAT and Internet

Post by NN7D »

Hi Marvin,

Are you using OmniRig for CAT? I use OmniRig and I can shut off my rig (so no CAT) and no msg from Log4OM, then return later to turn on my rig and Log4OM just returns to using CAT. No drama or messages at all. Same with internet connection.

Can you let us know rig type and interface?

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
VE3VEE
Old Man

Post by VE3VEE »

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your feedback.

My setup includes Kenwood TS-480 which I run via my RemoteRig box and I use Hamlib. I used to use Omnirig for a while, but I had to switch to Hamlib for some technical reason which I cannot now recall what it was.

When I turn my TS-480 off, within about 15 seconds LOG4OM gives me the following warning:
warning.gif
warning.gif (17.34 KiB) Viewed 4840 times
When my Internet connectivity gets interrupted, LOG4OM gives me (after about 15 minutes) the following error:
error.gif
error.gif (13.42 KiB) Viewed 4840 times
The ideal (for me) would be if LOG4OM would give no pop-ups and simply continue searching for CAT and /or Internet indefinitely. When the Internet comes back, resume DX cluster automatically. When CAT comes back, resume radio control automatically.

73 Marvin VE3VEE
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Hi Marvin,

Ok, I think the CAT msg is coming from Hamlib. Omnirig does not issue such a msg if the rig is off or CAT is interrupted for some reason. So you might give Omnirig another try. I like OmniRig because it allows a number of applications to share the same cat connection as long as they are compatible with Omnirig. For instance, I run Band Master along with Log4OM and they get along fine, both using Omnirig to handle the cat connection.

As far as the internet timeout, I just pulled the Ethernet cable from my shack computer and I get no error msg with Log4OM, even if I click on a spot which should make a internet call for callsign info, so not sure why it is triggering on your setup. Maybe Terry or Lele might have an idea?

73 - Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

In the cluster connect screen un-check the heartbeat (keep alive) check box
73 Terry G4POP