Quick Picks and Customizing Databases

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
ZL2KE
Novice Class

Quick Picks and Customizing Databases

Post by ZL2KE »

Especially for Mode and TX Power, it would be very useful to have the most used choices at the
top of a list. For example, when I switch between CW and SSB it is a task to (quickly) find the other mode
among the long list provided. Even when I use digital modes I generally only need several modes in total.

Also for TX Power I only need a few values, e.g. 100, 300, 600 watts. A quick mouse click on
most often used values is more convenient than having to keyboard them in.

I have used another logger program(s) that had these Quick Picks and it was very useful, especially during
fast moving pile ups and contests.

For the Country Database, it would be nice to be able to customize the country names in order to
narrow the width on the log page (e.g. European Russia and United States take up space that I would
prefer to free up for the Comments section). Perhaps this would be problematical in that the Country
Database needs to be updated from time to time, and the database is downloaded from a site separate
from Log4OM. However if there is some way that I could dig into the database and edit it, I would do it,
even if I had to go into the Log4OM program files rather than having the ability to change the database
from a running/started Log4OM.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

73 Steve ZL2KE
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Quick Picks and Customizing Databases

Post by G4POP »

ZL2KE wrote:Especially for Mode and TX Power, it would be very useful to have the most used choices at the
top of a list. For example, when I switch between CW and SSB it is a task to (quickly) find the other mode
among the long list provided. Even when I use digital modes I generally only need several modes in total.
You can edit the mode list in the settings to just provide the modes that you use - See page 33 of the user manual
Also for TX Power I only need a few values, e.g. 100, 300, 600 watts. A quick mouse click on
We feel that because operators prefer to just use the keyboard rather than having to grope for a rodent that it was easier to type the value, perhaps other users have comments about this?
For the Country Database, it would be nice to be able to customize the country names in order to
narrow the width on the log page (e.g. European Russia and United States take up space that I would
prefer to free up for the Comments section). Perhaps this would be problematical in that the Country
Database needs to be updated from time to time, and the database is downloaded from a site separate
from Log4OM. However if there is some way that I could dig into the database and edit it, I would do it,
even if I had to go into the Log4OM program files rather than having the ability to change the database
from a running/started Log4OM.
You can do that the file is in your roaming/LogOM fodder and is an XML file easily edited with notepad. However please be aware that the DXCC list and ADIF format are what we comply with so you might experience anomalies during data exchange if you deviate from the accepted country names! Why not adjust the column widths instead?
73 Terry G4POP
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

I'm the keeper of the Log4OM Country file and it's structure is by design in that it completely matches the ARRL country list in spelling and abbreviations. This also facilitates the alpha order of the listing in the awards and all reports.

It also fully complies with the ADIF and cluster standards in it's content.

This was done so users could line up their log reports with the ARRL database line item by line item without having to scroll all over the place. 8-)
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"
ZL2KE
Novice Class

Post by ZL2KE »

Thanks for the quick reply Terry. Somehow I :? missed the Enable Expert Mode.
We feel that because operators prefer to just use the keyboard rather than having to grope for a rodent that it was easier to type the value, perhaps other users have comments about this?
"Grope for a rodent" is an interesting :roll: term. Please consider putting this (editable) option in the Expert Mode,
similar to the mouse click drop down box for Modes and Bands. I often switch between TX barefoot and amplifier,
and having to change the setting via the keyboard each time is a pain. Two clicks with the mouse is far easier than
having to divert eyes down to the keyboard and key in the values each time. I have seen this option in at least one other logging program.
For the Country Database, it would be nice to be able to customize the country names....

You can do that the file is in your roaming/LogOM fodder and is an XML file easily edited with notepad. However please be aware that the DXCC list and ADIF format are what we comply with so you might experience anomalies during data exchange if you deviate from the accepted country names! Why not adjust the column widths instead?
By adjusting the column widths, European Russia becomes 'Europe' or 'Eur' and United States becomes 'United' or 'Uni';
this is not a huge problem though. The other problem is that the Comments section does not line up with the shortened
Country column - it is hard to explain so I will email you a sample. In any case this is not a great inconvenience.

73 Steve ZL2KE
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

Steve,
Please be aware that fi you choose to edit the country file in your system, we may not be able to help you if questions arise. We need to have all users using the same file set to expedite problem solving.

Also, by modifying the file you'll not be able to take advantage of the updates to the file when published or you'll have to edit the file each time as it will overwrite your version.

Hope you understand. Thanks. :D
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"