Locator Handling into the logbook

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
G6VMR
Old Man

Locator Handling into the logbook

Post by G6VMR »

When the locator is passed into the window from QRZ etc. it is not added to the logbook window automatically.

The pros and coms of this have been discussed.

Please could I suggest a feature. Right click in the locator box and be offered a selection "Add Locator to logbook" etc..

I seem to spend ages ,any times with copy and paste of the locator and this would be a quick 2 click solution. The main time I take the locator over the air in on 6m or above.

Regard

Martin
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Locator Handling into the logbook

Post by IW3HMH »

From the webpage?
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G6VMR
Old Man

Post by G6VMR »

Hi Have attached an example.

I wish to click in the marked box on the tight to have the value entered into the marked box in the middle.

Hope this explains it better.

Martin - g6vmr
Attachments
Locator.JPG
Locator.JPG (204.43 KiB) Viewed 6984 times
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Oh, i got the point.
Locator is calculated using country file, based on country geographic center.
The locator you see, with a White background, is this one. This locator can be used only to barely point your beam, and in the case you're not in the same country or geographical area, because on this case the direction could have 180° of error...

This locator will not be transferred into your log because it's "basically" wrong.
If you use QRZ.COM (paid Subscription) or HAMQTH.COM (free) accounts you will retrieve the REAL locator, the background became green and this value, that is valid and real, will be set into your log.

By the way the real locator of WP4PGY is FK78DH, while the one calculated on the country center is FK68QE
Distance between those locators is 97.80 km (60.772 miles)

In your case between your country center and your current locator the distance is only 32.52km but in my case it's 440.99 km
2 QSO in your country, based on the "country center" will have a 0km distance.
G6VMR
Old Man

Post by G6VMR »

Hi

Thanks for the info on how that field is working. This was not known by me. I am using HAM QTH so I wonder why I never see this field Green ?

So what can we do to make transferring this value when green and validated buy QRZ etc into my logbook easier.

Martin
VK7XX
Old Man

Post by VK7XX »

While on the subject of locators, I work a lot of JT65 mode. I have noticed that when a station is not listed on qrz then of course his locator is not auto entered in to the area provided so I enter it manually (locator is part of a JT65 exchange). BUT, if I work this same station again at another time, the locator box still remains empty.

Would it be possible to have the locator information not only checked on QRZ, but also checked from previous contacts, and, if it does not exist on QRZ, but does exist in a previous contact, to populate the box from that previous information ??

John
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

VK7XX wrote:While on the subject of locators, I work a lot of JT65 mode. I have noticed that when a station is not listed on qrz then of course his locator is not auto entered in to the area provided so I enter it manually (locator is part of a JT65 exchange). BUT, if I work this same station again at another time, the locator box still remains empty.

Would it be possible to have the locator information not only checked on QRZ, but also checked from previous contacts, and, if it does not exist on QRZ, but does exist in a previous contact, to populate the box from that previous information ??

John
And if he moved QTH you have the wrong grid reference!
73 Terry G4POP
VK7XX
Old Man

Post by VK7XX »

G4POP wrote:
VK7XX wrote:While on the subject of locators, I work a lot of JT65 mode. I have noticed that when a station is not listed on qrz then of course his locator is not auto entered in to the area provided so I enter it manually (locator is part of a JT65 exchange). BUT, if I work this same station again at another time, the locator box still remains empty.

John
And if he moved QTH you have the wrong grid reference!
For SSB, maybe, but for JT65 / JT9, it is part of the exchange and it would be nice to not have to manually enter the info every time. If it's too hard to programme, then its too hard. I've been manually entering almost every JA contact now for so long I was just looking to make it easier on myself :-) <for whatever reason, very few JA's are actually listed on qrz.>

thanks Terry. cheers mate

John
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

It's the "hard" task to balance quality and comfort.
Yes, we can fill data from previous QSO (we already did that for name and other informations, if user selects that), but while name is not changing so often, grid changes with /P and in other situations, so we decided to avoid filling data where we don't have full confidence about quality.
And no, there is not an option button for that :)