Cluster Improvements and other Musings

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
K9IUQ
Novice Class

Re: Cluster Improvements and other Musings

Post by K9IUQ »

You have Email.... :)

Thanks for your help
Stan K9IUQ
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Hi Stan,

On your first request, to spot for two or more bands, there are two ways to accomplish this now. You can always use the VE7CC User application to modify what the cluster sends to you by band, mode, DX country, dx spotter, etc., etc.

You can also have VE7CC send SKIMMER reports along with the cluster, but be wary of overload during contests, unless you restrict the spots to specific spotter regions. Like spotters only from the U.S. Very useful program. Link - http://www.bcdxc.org/ve7cc/ccc/cluster.htm

The other way to accomplish this within Log4OM is to add appropriate CC Cluster commands in the Connection (F3) tab of the separate Cluster window, Send Command drop down list, near the bottom. You do this by editing the Clustercommands.txt file by adding a line something like "SET/FILTER DXBM/PASS 20,17,15" or similar. This command will pass spots for 20, 17 and 15 only. You can get more specific by band and mode. And you can add as many lines as desired. This file is located in the <drive>:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\LogOM folder.

To find out more about CC commands - check out this website - http://bcdxc.org/ve7cc/ccc/CCC_Commands.htm

Note, the above will work with any cluster that uses the CC software system.

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
K9IUQ
Novice Class

Post by K9IUQ »

Hi Doug
I am very familiar with VE7CC and the CC cluster client as I have used it for years. I have VE7CC filtered for spots by USA hams only.I do not use the CC cluster client very much any more except to set up the filters. I prefer the cluster clients in the Loggers. I have used Commcat logger for several years and it is very easy to to filter spots for various bands as it has buttons for each band. You just click on a band button to get spots for that band and you click as many bands as you want. It also has buttons for SSB DIGI and CW spots. I guess I just got lazy using Commcat and want all loggers to be as easy to use setting up the band/mode spot filters.

FWIW I worked the CQWWCW contest last weekend and used VE7CC for my DX cluster in N1MM+. VE7CC cluster died early Sunday morning and was down all day. I suspect it got overloaded with skimmer spots..... I fired up my QS1R sdr and CW Skimmer server and fed the spots to N1MM+. Having used it all day Sunday I have decided that using my own local CW skimmer is better than using VE7CC cluster. I may not use VE7CC cluster in a CW contest again.....

I believe that Terry's suggestion to filter bands thru the LOg4OM option window is the easiest way to filter band spots in LOG4OM for the time being.

Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ
Novice Class

Post by K9IUQ »

I forgot to mention that I really like LOG4OM, it is an excellent piece of work and my feature suggestions are in no way criticisms..

Stan K9IUQ
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Hi Stan,

Yes, I too was working the CQWWCW and was on a mult station Sunday morning when VE7CC went down. We scrambled and set up another cluster which also uses the CC system.

Give the cluster commands a try within Log4OM by editing the Clustercommands.txt file. I find that very easy to change to "day" bands and "night" bands.

Glad you are enjoying Log4OM. Cheers!

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA