Updated Filters and Cluster Window

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
K2RAS
Novice Class

Updated Filters and Cluster Window

Post by K2RAS »

I believe the following architecture changes to the Cluster window and filters would significantly improve normal DX operation.

It would be a vast improvement if the cluster filter could alert on missing LoTW and eQSL contacts (i.e., message ’New York New State for LoTW’, Egypt New Country for eQSL’, or ‘Egypt New Band 40M for LoTW’, or 'Award NPOTA-NP32 New Reference’). I understand that the present design can do some of this, but not with the flexibility it could. For example, I may want to first set alerts on missing US states, then move up to the Triple-Play award (by state/mode), but track the All Europe Award by country only, while filtering missing National Parks on the Air (NPOTA) references using cluster comments (somewhat limited, but better than constantly looking up 400+ references).

Changes:
1. Include a more sophisticated expression rule filter with wildcards capable of limited IF/THEN and AND/OR logic with access to the award tables, cluster window, and external sources (QRZ.com…) This would allow filtering of the cluster window for open award references, states, and other criteria.
2. Replace the global Country/QSL/eQSL/LoTW/ highlight checkboxes with the updated expression filter rule model.
3. Utilize a single column on the cluster window for all filter messages (examples provided above). This could be in place or in addition to the color options now available.
4. Add a cluster ‘Filtered Only’ checkbox to display only filtered QSOs and remove the clutter of less interesting entries.
5. Provide drag-and-drop column placement and column removal on the cluster window.
6. Add audio delivery option for alerts.

Staying ahead of the competition is a difficult task, Log4OM is a great base on which to continue building. This is not a simple programming mod, but it would provide a great competitive platform for general DX operations. Just unsolicited input for thought or rejection.

Ron
K2RAS
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Updated Filters and Cluster Window

Post by G4POP »

The use of your proposal may be beyond the ability of most users so this would require an 'Expert mode' for the highly skilled user such as yourself
73 Terry G4POP
K2RAS
Novice Class

Post by K2RAS »

I don't consider myself an advanced user, I am only looking for a good solution to filter the cluster for a variety of awards. This would seem to be a fairly general DX requirement that some software package will ultimately solve.

Ron
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi Ron,
i noted your suggestions, and i agree with most of them.
What we're trying to have, in Log4OM is a sophisticated software with a dumb-proof user interface.

Using and/or logics with multiple parameters is pretty easy at code level, but creating a clear user interface that could be easy to use for everyone, and customizable enough to keep expert users busy for a while is a challenge.

I'm actually busy with bugfixing, while now 50% of my time is dedicated to Log4OM V2.
It's also possible that, in a annoying week, i will get cluster interface and work on it to create something new and better.

Anyway, i bookmarked your suggestions.
Thanks
lele
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH