Station Journal

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
KA1WPM
Advanced Class

Station Journal

Post by KA1WPM »

Here's a crazy idea.

Every logging program I have seen is about contacts and making them. Moving from paper to computer has taken away the ability to write notes about the station itself in the log. This would be used when, for instance, a new antenna was installed or some particular interference showed up some day. These are things that are relevant to the station and its operation, but not to any particular contact.

How about adding a journal to the program? Something where notes and ideas could be written and saved with a time stamp.

-- Dana, KA1WPM
-- Dana, KA1WPM
CT1BXX
Old Man

Re: Station Journal

Post by CT1BXX »

Hello Dana

I wouldn't call crazy idea, I would say interesting.
I only suggest one more thing: possibility to link (or not) to a given call, if we want, because we could make some relation with the fact we keep in the journal/diary and the moment we are making QSO contact.

Daniele we are always imagining ideas to complicate all the scenario... :evil:
73 Manuel Fernando CT1BXX
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

KA1WPM wrote:Here's a crazy idea.

Every logging program I have seen is about contacts and making them. Moving from paper to computer has taken away the ability to write notes about the station itself in the log. This would be used when, for instance, a new antenna was installed or some particular interference showed up some day. These are things that are relevant to the station and its operation, but not to any particular contact.

How about adding a journal to the program? Something where notes and ideas could be written and saved with a time stamp.

-- Dana, KA1WPM

Surely the comments, notes and other fields related to the QSO provide that?
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (100.38 KiB) Viewed 4896 times
73 Terry G4POP
VK7XX
Old Man

Post by VK7XX »

G4POP wrote:
Surely the comments, notes and other fields related to the QSO provide that?

They do for me. I use them extensively. However, I could also see a use for a diary style of notes keeping where one does not also log a contact.

John
VK7XX
KA1WPM
Advanced Class

Post by KA1WPM »

I think John understands precisely what I mean. There are things that you can do at a station that are not necessarily tied to a particular QSO. For instance, "Demonstration to local boy scout troop," or "Power supply failed to turn on today." This is a feature I feel all logging software lacks because of the focus on the contacts and making them.

In our club station's logbook I put notes, diagrams and other information that is important for the station in addition to contacts made.
-- Dana, KA1WPM
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

I've added that to the interesting ideas list.
I'll be probably a V2 feature... but who knows...
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH