ftp backup location

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
PB4FUN
Advanced Class

ftp backup location

Post by PB4FUN »

Would be great if I could have the possibility to backup to an external location (e.g. my personal space on some webserver).
In case of total destruction things like fire, flooding or damaging of local storage devices by lightning my log will still survive.
PB4FUN Meindert; Rig : Icom IC-9100 / Ant: Falcon OUT-250-B @4m AGL; 144 MHz 16 el @ 4m AGL; 70 cm 23 el @ 5 m AGL
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: ftp backup location

Post by G4POP »

Many of us use cloud storage, like Dropbox or Google Drive, for just that reason
73 Terry G4POP
PB4FUN
Advanced Class

Post by PB4FUN »

But without ftp options in backup location some cloud spaces cannot be reached directly from within the program.
PB4FUN Meindert; Rig : Icom IC-9100 / Ant: Falcon OUT-250-B @4m AGL; 144 MHz 16 el @ 4m AGL; 70 cm 23 el @ 5 m AGL
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Check out page 159 of the Log4OM User Guide for information to using one of the cloud storage facilities for storing an automatic backup copy of your Log4OM log. It describes using Dropbox, however my personal favorite is Google Drive. Microsoft also has their own version. When set up, your log is still on your computer, but whenever a change is made to your log, it is automatically updated in the cloud storage. The bonus is that you can then access your log from another computer if need be. And if the inevitable strikes, and your hard drive goes kaput, you have a complete and current backup available. Good stuff.

You will need to install either one of the services apps on your computer - Dropbox, Google Drive or Microsofts ever changing name app. I install Google Drive app on my computer. Then you will need to change your log file location to the Google Drive folder. Once that is done and the Google Drive app is running (auto start), any change to your log will be synced with the cloud storage.

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
PB4FUN
Advanced Class

Post by PB4FUN »

dropbox != ftp;
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

FTP may be an option in the future.
The problem is FTP, SFTP, FTPS, Anonymous, registered, ........

There are a couple of different ways a FTP can work. Choosing a way will make someone happy, some one else unhappy...
I personally have a .cmd script set on Log4OM startup that retrieve the .ADI file and make an FTP.
Yes, it's on "next start", but it's another backup (i already have Google drive, local backup when closing...)

If Google drive fails, local disk fail i have an FTP version updated to the latest-1 usage of Log4OM.

Considering i have realtime upload to QRZ, HAMQTH, CLUBLOG, HRDLOG.NET it's a pretty acceptable solution...
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH