Comments/Note Field

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
aj2i
Novice Class

Comments/Note Field

Post by aj2i »

Is there a way to make comments stick?

For example if I type in a users operating condx. or wife's name etc. Add the qso

Then

a month later, I work the same station and the note/comment is saved and pops up when I enter another qso?

Or is Notes/Comments only good for the qso entered and not further QSO's?
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Comments/Note Field

Post by G4POP »

It was decided by the majority of the users not to recall all of the old QSO information because it probably changed over time.

However the old comments are displayed in the F7 QSO Information window for your reference
73 Terry G4POP
ve2dc
Novice Class

Post by ve2dc »

"It was decided"

Really! I emphatically disagree with this decision. It is extremely useful to have information that is keyed to the callsign as opposed to the QSO. If there is some who don't want this important feature for casual operating as opposed to DXing, please implement it with a checkbox to disable it on the configuration tab. That way everybody is happy!

I'm a new adopter of Log4OM. It really is a great program. There are just two important things missing that I can see. This item and lack of support for the RAC CD which is the most comprehensive amateur directory. I think this is the only logging program I have encountered that doesn't include RAC lookups so I was not only disappointed, I was surprised.

Great program otherwise. So much faster than DXLabs which is also a very good and very complete program... but it's pretty slow and maybe too many features LOL!

BTW, I've seen some discussion requesting that CAT be included in the core program. Bad Idea!!! This could easily become a real maintenance headache. And why duplicate work? Case in point, I am abandoning the program I have used, DX4Win, because the program is no longer supported and there are issues with CAT control that will not be addressed. One consideration... perhaps use DXLabs Commander instead of Hamlib. Dave does a great job of maintaining it, it supports 4 radio profiles and it supports Icom in asynchronous mode (no polling) which is much better if there are multiple devices on the Icom C-IV bus.

Thanks for all the work...
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

ve2dc wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 12:00 "It was decided"

Really! I emphatically disagree with this decision. It is extremely useful to have information that is keyed to the callsign as opposed to the QSO. If there is some who don't want this important feature for casual operating as opposed to DXing, please implement it with a checkbox to disable it on the configuration tab. That way everybody is happy!

Yes "Really"!

This was discussed two or three years ago by the users and the Beta team and they democratically decided that it was not required due to the data changing over a period of time and also because that information was already available in the Worked before list (F7 QSO Information) when a call sign was entered (See below).

Lookup.JPG
Lookup.JPG (82.18 KiB) Viewed 8353 times

I will however add your request to our Mantis list for implementation possibly in Version 2.00

There are just two important things missing that I can see. This item and lack of support for the RAC CD which is the most comprehensive amateur directory. I think this is the only logging program I have encountered that doesn't include RAC lookups so I was not only disappointed, I was surprised.

Support for the RAC Call book CD is already on our Mantis list and has been for some time but so far nobody has provided us with an RAC CD to enable us to add support. There is however a very useable and free call lookup provided in Log4OM with HamQTH etc. and they are updated far more frequently than any CD call book database!

BTW we are not the only logging program not to include a CD lookup for the RAC CD :)

I am sorry that you are displeased with some of our decisions and omissions, we have been trying to cater for almost everyone's wishes during that last five years that we have spent developing our free software but as the saying goes you cant please all of the people all of the time!
73 Terry G4POP
ve2dc
Novice Class

Post by ve2dc »

The "worked before" isn't very convenient if you have had many contacts over the years.

You can contact Thomas Gudehus, DB3ZX at callbook.biz. I believe they could provide you with the API code. I could supply you with a Summer 2006 Callbook... since it's way out of date, I don't think they would mind. Obviously I have a recent version but I wouldn't be comfortable sharing proprietary information. Would a disk image be OK. I could also send you the actual CD. As far as I know, the API hasn't changed. Regarding updates and such, QRZ is great for Amateurs who maintain their information and many countries also provide official data but, unless things have changed, RAC has exclusive agreements with quite a few governments. I'm not as active DXing as I was some years back but I used to frequently encounter calls where I could only locate information in the Call Book. I assume that is still the case. There is one issue with RAC: The data is free form text for all except the USA so it might just be a popup rather than trying to populate the log, except for USA.

73, Mel
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

You can of course 'Detach' the 'QSO Lookup' window and enlarge it to display and visualise better as below (Click on the 'Detach' button at bottom of window):

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (122.1 KiB) Viewed 8329 times

You stated 'RAC CD' not a direct download by API code which is a totally different ball game! I have emailed them regarding API download and await a reply. Send any CD to IW3HMH at the address on QRZ

As I stated it is on the Mantis list

I will transfer this thread to 'Feature suggestions'
73 Terry G4POP
ve2dc
Novice Class

Post by ve2dc »

Yes I noticed that useful detach feature.

I think it is an API. It's in Callbook's best interest for logging programs to support RAC. Let's hope it's not too complicated.

I'll give the 2006 Callbook to my daughter who is visiting from Switzerland. She can drop it in the post when she returns to Europe in early January.

Thanks Terry.
ve2dc
Novice Class

Post by ve2dc »

I notice DX4Win has a DLL: RACCD32A.DLL copyright "Radio Amateur Callbook" so it looks like a published API.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

ve2dc wrote: 15 Dec 2017, 16:35 I notice DX4Win has a DLL: RACCD32A.DLL copyright "Radio Amateur Callbook" so it looks like a published API.
I have had no response from either of my emails to RAC so I can't do much if they don't want to communicate
73 Terry G4POP