Starting Cluster in background

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
yt9tp
Old Man

Starting Cluster in background

Post by yt9tp »

When I set Cluster to automatically start with Lof4OM it starts but on top of Log4Om window so each time I have ti move it back. It would be nicer if it starts in background.
YT9TP, op. Pedja, QTH Uzice, Serbia, http://www.yt9tp.iz.rs
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Starting Cluster in background

Post by G4POP »

Just close the cluster window and next time that you start the program the cluster window will appear momentarily for the cluster auto start and then close.
73 Terry G4POP
yt9tp
Old Man

Post by yt9tp »

I do that but it still pops in front, waits until connected to cluster server and then minimizes.

When you run external application programatically there is an option to run it minimized. That way it would not show up at all.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

That is weird!

With me the cluster is set to auto connect and when Log4OM starts the cluster window is displayed only until it has connected and then it closes!

Does not need to run minimised, once the cluster is connected closing the window does not stop the cluster working.

Have you waited while it connects to check if it closes without your intervention?
73 Terry G4POP
yt9tp
Old Man

Post by yt9tp »

Yes I have. That is what I said: it pops up, waits until it is connected and then closes. But it takes some time.

If it is run minimized and in background it will not be in a way.
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

Sounds to me like you have a slow internet connection or the cluster your connecting too is slow. I have no problem connecting quickly and it then minimizes.

Get yourself hi-speed internet and connect to a faster acting cluster.
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"
yt9tp
Old Man

Post by yt9tp »

K7PT you got it all wrong. It is not about slow connection or cluster or maybe me being poor so i do not have 5 GHz eight core processor and eight gigs of RAM or anything like that.

You do not solve problem with application by avoiding it.

I could understand such animosity if this is some hard work fix, but it is matter of adding one keyword in options on function call to make it run external application in background.

I think it is not my suggestions that offend you, but me, as you do not even talk abut them, but from the start you got personal on me.

Do not worry, you will see no more of me so you will not be offended so much.
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

I was only suggesting something that you might try.

I just don't understand your complaint. The program opens, connects to the cluster and then the cluster window runs in the background.

This, to my knowledge, has had no complaints from anyone else.

Is this program perfect, NO! It's just the best free logger in amateur radio.
F4BPO
Old Man

Post by F4BPO »

Hi all,

I must say that I do agree with YT9P and I do not understand K7PT's animosity either.

I'm running here with a i7 950 / SSD drive / 6g RAM and a fiber optic connection 50/5 Mbps is it enough ?
Cause I am facing the same issue, the cluster's window open and stay in front for 10 seconds before it minimizes which delays a lot the opening of Log4OM...

If this could be changed it would be great if not I will still live with it but this forum is made to report ideos / bugs or unusual things, right ?

73 de F4BPO / HS0ZLE
73 de XV9BPO Greg
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

You wrote "I do not understand K7PT's animosity either".

No animosity here on this end and please don't draw assumptions.

The program is still loading and setting up things in the background while this is taking place. Once the cluster is connected, the window minimizes.

What good is it until then? And, the 10 seconds depends on the response of the cluster your connecting too. It is very quick here, less then 3 seconds, can't even read a thing in that time.

I am now QRT on this.