ADIF expor tdialog user experience imrovements

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
yt9tp
Old Man

ADIF expor tdialog user experience imrovements

Post by yt9tp »

When I run export to ADIF it does not clearly shows if export is finished.

Button for selection file name to export to is labeled 'Open' which is misleading and confuses. It should be 'Choose file' or something other more appropriate.

Also, I think there is no need for additional button to start export. If user chooses file and clicks OK that should be sufficient to start export.

I guess original idea was to set file name once and then just click export each time user needs export but that functionality does not work. Each time user opens export dialog he must choose file again. It would be better if output file is selected once and remembered.

Lower right corner of the dialog shows mark as dialog size is adjustable but it is not. It should be removed then.

There is no button for closing dialog. User must click on 'X' in upper right corner which is not standard in Windows user interface.

Here is link to description of rules for Windows standard interface http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 11268.aspx
YT9TP, op. Pedja, QTH Uzice, Serbia, http://www.yt9tp.iz.rs
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: ADIF expor tdialog user experience imrovements

Post by IW3HMH »

This is how Windows builds windows, it's representing their standard. Probably i can make better interfaces, maybe worst.
Log4OM is an evolving software, and many things changes from one release to another.
Sometimes the "windows standard" it's not the most clear way to represent what we need.

Thanks for suggestions, i take care of them

Regards
Daniele IW3HMH
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
yt9tp
Old Man

Post by yt9tp »

Wndows Standards are not just their standards. Usability priciples urge developers to create applications that are easy to use and most important factors are relazing on users previous knowledge and habbits.

Thus, following user interface standards proposed by operating system is right way to go. All big players and most of the small ones do that way.

For example, with dialogs Windows users are already accustomized that Cancel button is located in bottom right corner of an dialog and that it cancels everything happening within dialog and closes it.

The first button left to Cancel button is OK button that confirms everything what was set in dialog.

If there is need to execute some action then execute button may be set instead of OK. When execution finishes user should be informed (usually that is PopUp windows with an OK button) and dialog closed automatically.

If there is need for more buttons they may be placed left from OK (execute) button.

This is something everyone is used to end expects dialog to behave this way. If you do differently, you create confusion for user. He then must stop and think how to do what he wanted.
YT9TP, op. Pedja, QTH Uzice, Serbia, http://www.yt9tp.iz.rs
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

Pedja,
You seem to find many faults with Log4Om that others do not seem to have. Remember it's free and a number of hams spend at lot of effort assisting Daniele.

Perhaps this is a program that does not suit your needs.
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Windows it's not a master in usability. Anyway the site you referred it's only explaining how MICROSOFT does their dialog boxes.
If you search the internet, you probably can find something similar for Apple. Another point of view.
Yes, i know, sometimes things could be better than now, but we don't want to be perfect in the first release or we will not have the satisfaction to make small improvements in the future. Sometimes time is not so much, and i'm doing my best.

by the way, i'm not working for Microsoft, and until their IDE permits me to place buttons all around i will do that, placing them where i think the user expects them (and it's not, in every case, where Microsoft places his buttons). Your suggestions are good, but you are ignoring 2+ years of user feedback, users requesting big fonts because Log4OM is for Old Man, as well as for Young Man, paper prints that seems obsolete but are required (by law) and by some users that loves having their logs printed on paper...

By the way, in terms of usability, Office 2007 is, imho, much easier and intuitive than Office 2010+, because Microsoft placed buttons in 2010 where they think a dumb user could search for them. But the 99% of Microsoft users it's an experienced user, and searches the buttons where they was in the last decades...
FILE -> OPEN
now you should click on the big circle. It's not intuitive...

Daniele
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
IW3RAB
Advanced Class

Post by IW3RAB »

A little addition.
I'm not a Microsoft employee but are forced to use it.
From Office 2010 all commands are hidden or kept secret.
Office 2010 is the last version compatible with XP and work also on W 7/8 so is a forced choice in certain situations.
Go to file options and you can find as personalize multifuncion bar or fast access bar (I use the italian versions, so i'm sure of terms in your version).
Obviously in "most used commands" you never find what were looking for.
So you are forced to "select all commands".
Now you have hundreds of command in alphabetic order, in several minutes with some luck you find what need.
There is a lot of secret commands.
I use Word for unprintable internet pages.
For example open this page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/209207/en-us and try to print it.
Use only english language on site, as T-SQL accept "begin end commit" but refuse italian translation "inizio fine commissiona"
As a lot of pages of that site print a page is as winning the lottery.
So a drag and drop on Word or Notepad++ is a must.
If you want to remove all hypertext links use “Ctrl+A” to select everything, then use the key combination “Ctrl+Shift+F9”, simple and user frendly.

I personally consider the Log4OM the more "USABLE" fast and stable than the ones I've tried
Sandro IW3RAB