Satellite frequencies in manual mode

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
oh8fks
Novice Class

Satellite frequencies in manual mode

Post by oh8fks »

When adding a QSO qso manually in satellite mode, the satellite can be chose from a list. It'd be nice if, when choosing the satellite, the Log4OM could add automatically the centre uplink and downlink frequencies (as well as uplink and downlink band). This information is available for any satellite and they could be added in the file including the satellite names. These values can be also added/modified manually, but it'd be faster to have them already in place when choosing a satellite. Please let me know if this can be done, I can provide an updated satellite list with all the TX and RX frequencies.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Satellite frequencies in manual mode

Post by G4POP »

These frequencies are obtained from you radio via CAT or do you just want a reminder to enable you to tune?
73 Terry G4POP
oh8fks
Novice Class

Post by oh8fks »

G4POP wrote: 17 May 2018, 06:48 These frequencies are obtained from you radio via CAT or do you just want a reminder to enable you to tune?
The situation I'm picturing is when adding QSO without CAT, without any connection to the radio, completely manually. In that case it'd be nice, when choosing the satellite in the SAT/Prop menu, that Freq RX and RX band (in the same menu) as well as Mode, Band and Freq (in QSO info) are autofilled with the default vaules (voice satellites are either FM or SSB and the uplink and downlink centre frequencies are always the same). This default values could be added for example in the txt file containing the satellite names. Although some satellites (e.g. AO-7) do have multiple configuration, most of the voice satellites have just one uplink and downlink centre frequency and that would speed up filling the information not having all the time to choose the same values.
oh8fks
Novice Class

Post by oh8fks »

Just to clear out what I mentioned in the above message: satellite.txt contains a list of satellites, one per row. Next to the satellite name also uplink and downlink centre frequencies could be added, as well as mode. For example now you have:

AO-92|AMSAT-OSCAR-92

This row could include more information like this:

AO-92|AMSAT-OSCAR-92 435350 FM 145880 FM

where 435350 kHz is the uplink centre frequency (frequency at the satellite), FM is the uplink mode, 145880 kHz is the downlink centre frequency, FM is the downlink mode.

Another example:

FO-29|Fuji-OSCAR 29 145950 LSB 435850 USB

This information should autofill the fields Freq RX and RX band (in the same menu) as well as Mode, Band and Freq (in QSO info).

All this would be overwritten in case CAT is used.

It would be a great addition as many OM working portable satellite don’t use CAT for real time logging so they have to add everything manually.
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Are those informations "structured" and available somewhere for download?
I assume frequencies are "stable" for satellites, so auto updates are useless, but i don't have a potential source file with those data.
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
oh8fks
Novice Class

Post by oh8fks »

IW3HMH wrote: 28 May 2018, 16:40 Are those informations "structured" and available somewhere for download?
The frequencies are available on the AMSAT website:

https://www.amsat.org/fm-satellite-frequency-summary/
https://www.amsat.org/linear-satellite- ... y-summary/

They can be added manually in the text file. I guess it is manually updated anyway? If needed, I'm available of taking care of the updates when new satellites become available.
oh8fks
Novice Class

Post by oh8fks »

IW3HMH wrote: 28 May 2018, 16:40I assume frequencies are "stable" for satellites, so auto updates are useless, but i don't have a potential source file with those data.
And yes, those frequencies are stable, they don't need update. Only in case of new satellites the file should be updated.
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Can you send me a modified file, using the same separator as it is now, with only a few of SAT in it?
i'll check what i can do
Wait before adding info to all satellites :)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
oh8fks
Novice Class

Post by oh8fks »

IW3HMH wrote: 29 May 2018, 14:44 Can you send me a modified file, using the same separator as it is now, with only a few of SAT in it?
i'll check what i can do
Here's a file with some of the active satellites. Each line follows the following pattern:

AmsatName|FullSatelliteName UplinkFreq UplinkMode DownlinkFreq DownlinkMode

Please note that some FullSatelliteNames include spaces and that might create problems in parsing the line.
Attachments
satellites.txt
(298 Bytes) Downloaded 797 times
oh8fks
Novice Class

Post by oh8fks »

Any news about this feature testing?