Incorrect Spotting

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
w9mdb
Old Man

Incorrect Spotting

Post by w9mdb »

Noticed when spotting FT8 that Log4OM is using the "standard" frequencies which seem out of date or, at least, incorrect.
Seems like spotting should ask for the mode and not assume CW, Digital or Phone and have the user choose.

de Mike W9MDB
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Incorrect Spotting

Post by NN7D »

w9mdb wrote: 13 Jul 2019, 19:45 Noticed when spotting FT8 that Log4OM is using the "standard" frequencies which seem out of date or, at least, incorrect.
Hi Mike,

i take it that you are referring to reported FT8 spots? Those frequencies reported come from the Skimmers involved, and likely being reported by JTAlert using Hamspots.net or WSJTx via PSKReporter. Its the freq which CAT control is set in WSJTx. Yeah, not the actual freq where the DX is located in the FT-8 band. But do we really care, as you just need to know the place to set the radio, then you will decode the dx when received?
w9mdb wrote: 13 Jul 2019, 19:45 Seems like spotting should ask for the mode and not assume CW, Digital or Phone and have the user choose.
Now are you referring to sending spots? Or FT8 spots received, and the always inaccurate mode of Phone or Digital for the spots? If the later, wait until version 2. Big changes - the actual mode of FT8 or FT4 will be shown and reflected in log4om as you log. Yeah!!!

I hope this helps,

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
w9mdb
Old Man

Post by w9mdb »

Sending spots...so tapping my toe waiting for version 2 :-)

Mike
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Mike,

Sending spots - Log4OM does not send the mode. Its interrupted from the frequency (band plan) when Log4OM cluster receives the spot. Your notes define the mode - ie FT8.

V2 getting closer...

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

You should also be aware that no cluster provider sends the mode as a field only the occasional mode added to the notes field by a spotter.

The mode is selected by your regional band plan which you can freely modify.

I must warn you that you will chase your tail because these FT8 spots do not conform to any IARU format for frequency, just an arbitrary frequency originally suggested by Joe Taylor, but even then the users do not stick to that they use whatever frequency they like - Its total mayhem.

We will only provide default bandplans that conform to IARU and local authority recommendations but we provide the user with an opportunity to create his own user bandplan which fits his personal requirements. These user bandplans do not get overwritten by Log4OM updates so the info is preserved.

See the many posts on this forum about user bandplans e.g. bandplan_r2_user.xml
73 Terry G4POP