METAR integration...

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
EI4HQ
Advanced Class

METAR integration...

Post by EI4HQ »

Hi,

As the weather is something that hams seem to mention alot in QSOs perhaps it would be nice to have the latest weather data conveniently available within Log4OM e.g. the latest METAR for a nearby airport (location user configurable or determined automatically based on QRL?). It could be provided via the status bar or another tab or something. FLDigi provides a feature to download the latest weather from a METAR (in the case of FLDigi it's done to enable automatic drop in the latest weather into macros for data transmissions). It's a convenient bit of info to have to hand... :idea:
BR
Cormac, EI4HQ
[Cobh IO51uu / UTC] NNNN++++
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: METAR integration...

Post by IW3HMH »

heheheeh :) i'm an aviation enthusiast and i should say that i like this idea :D
I know also METAR format (i've worked on that when i was in the software development team of IVAO International Virtual Aviation Organization), but the main issue is finding the right airport to show...
If user knows ICAO code i can get the METAR informations, but without i need a suitable "database" where to find airports by location...
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

You could probably link to METARSWeather software which is also free to read their data text file

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mweather.html
73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

That said I would much prefer the current solar data to be recorded with each QSO for us geeks that watch solar trends affect on propagation.

Solar data is readily available for auto download from NOAA

Perhaps when we get Winkeyer support I could see a requirement to link METARS data to a CW macro?
73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

METARS Airport list in txt file can be found here

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/surface/stations.txt
73 Terry G4POP
EI4HQ
Advanced Class

Post by EI4HQ »

Terry et al,

The current solar propagation information is a biggie with me too - I hadn't suggseted it (yet) as I was still working my way through Log4OM and wasn't certain it wasn't already provided...

What would be the icing on the cake would be a feature capable of retrospectively inserting the solar data for all prior QSOs as well... I expect historic solar flux data is available online in a machine readable format somewhere :?:
BR
Cormac, EI4HQ
[Cobh IO51uu / UTC] NNNN++++
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Cormac,

Find us the historical data and it can be matched by date to log entries but the next question is how far back to go so I can't see that being done.

Current live solar data is easily handled however and I consider that far more important than METARS info
73 Terry G4POP