Suggestions for the future

GM8MJV
Novice Class

Suggestions for the future

Post by GM8MJV »

I know V2 is on the horizon so some of these may be there but just in case:

When importing (File -> Import) an ADI file, it would be helpfull if there was some indication after selecting the file you had the correct one. Possible a basic 'Found xx records - Continue with import'. This is just incase the wrong file has been selected - you will generally have a 'rough' idea of the number of records - if you expect approx 20 but system displays found 4 (or 200) then you know there is an issue.

eSQL upload (QSL Tools -> QSL Management -> ESQL ...) some indication that the upload has finished would be helpfull - it's there for LOTW - something similar for esql.

Recent QSO (F8) - Display Limit - default is 5000 and yes if selected on that screen you can adjust - would be nice to have that in options so you could set it for say 2000 without having to change each time.

If Possible - when exit QSO Manager or QSL Tools screen could the system automatically do a 'refresh' if recent QSO screen is visible.

The default band is 20m when you start up software - I have 3 rigs, only 2 available in Log4OM - nice to be able to set default in options to band generally used - for the radios with CAT the band will be set automatically the ones not under cat control will at least have a reasonable default.

Contests couple of things:

Basic VHF contest data - Report, Serial Number, Locator - Yes Contest (F4) has all the report/serial number bit - BUT then have to remember to jump back to QSO Info (F1) to enter locator - some method that would allow entry without screen switching.

QSO Manager - Update Fields - Contest id - could that be tied to list of contest in options to select from dropdown to avoid different names for same contest.

Contest Information - when editing a QSO the 'Contest ID' is displayed - but the dropdown is not populated.

Thanks

Tom
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions for the future

Post by IW3HMH »

GM8MJV wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 13:22 I know V2 is on the horizon so some of these may be there but just in case:

When importing (File -> Import) an ADI file, it would be helpfull if there was some indication after selecting the file you had the correct one. Possible a basic 'Found xx records - Continue with import'. This is just incase the wrong file has been selected - you will generally have a 'rough' idea of the number of records - if you expect approx 20 but system displays found 4 (or 200) then you know there is an issue.
We added that in V2
eSQL upload (QSL Tools -> QSL Management -> ESQL ...) some indication that the upload has finished would be helpfull - it's there for LOTW - something similar for esql.
It's in the V2 EQSL upload screen. Background upload still continue working silently as is.
Recent QSO (F8) - Display Limit - default is 5000 and yes if selected on that screen you can adjust - would be nice to have that in options so you could set it for say 2000 without having to change each time.
default limit (under performance limit set to 5000) will be added to config.
If Possible - when exit QSO Manager or QSL Tools screen could the system automatically do a 'refresh' if recent QSO screen is visible.
V2 will automatically sends an internal "update" message to all windows when something is updated.
The default band is 20m when you start up software - I have 3 rigs, only 2 available in Log4OM - nice to be able to set default in options to band generally used - for the radios with CAT the band will be set automatically the ones not under cat control will at least have a reasonable default.
i'm missing that point. Actually V2 save the last used band/mode, and retrieve fresh info as soon as CAT is started.
Contests couple of things:
Basic VHF contest data - Report, Serial Number, Locator - Yes Contest (F4) has all the report/serial number bit - BUT then have to remember to jump back to QSO Info (F1) to enter locator - some method that would allow entry without screen switching.
V2 has a dedicated screen for working contest, optimized for contests
QSO Manager - Update Fields - Contest id - could that be tied to list of contest in options to select from dropdown to avoid different names for same contest.
Actually update fields has a free text for text fields like contest. Adding a lookup for each single parameter with the correct list of values (e.g. BAND LIST for bands) is in our project, but it's a long task. It's on the radar anyway
Contest Information - when editing a QSO the 'Contest ID' is displayed - but the dropdown is not populated.
In the edit screen we added the contest list
Thanks
Tom
To you :)
Daniele IW3HMH
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4AON
Old Man

Post by G4AON »

Tom
Regarding contest logging software... have you tried “Minos” for VHF/UHF RSGB contests? It’s brilliant and specifically written for these contests, for example it has a calendar, pre-saved details (via a drop down box) to minimise the need to enter your details again for every contest (saved as “4m AFS /P”, 2m Low Power”, etc). Plus a clock display that shows red outside the valid times for the contest, and a few other handy features. It is also “DPI aware”, so displays correctly on different screen sizes, which helps when using a laptop out on the hills /P.

Like almost all log programs you can export the data in ADIF for import into your main log.

I use Log4OM as my daily log, Minos for VHF/UHF contests and N1MM+ for HF ones. It’s hard and perhaps an unnecessary complication to try and incorporate all the bells and whistles of dedicated contest programs into an “every day” log, such as Log4OM, which is hard to beat for general daily logging.
GM8MJV
Novice Class

Post by GM8MJV »

Hi

Yes I use Minos a lot for all VHF/UHF contests.

The Log4OM query was mainly when on the band give away a few points - no point in setting up Minos for that - just need to respond in a fluid manner. I see there will be a couple of changes in V2 so that may be all I require.

Thanks

Tom
N4RF
Advanced Class

Post by N4RF »

Great job on V2 team. I really like the new and improved features of V2.

One suggestion I will offer regards the statistics grid on the main screen. It shows green dots for both worked and confirmed entities. It would be very useful to show worked, but not yet confirmed as a different color, maybe yellow. One wold be able to see the status of an entity at a glance. As it is now, the green dot would appear that I don't need the cluster spot, when I really do need it, since it has not been confirmed.

I clicked on a cluster spot yesterday and it indicate that I don't need it since it had a green dot, yet I do not have the entity confirmed yet. I nearly overlooked the needed country due to the green dot being somewhat misleading.

I realize there are other ways to get the information, but I really like the statistics grid overview at a glance of needed entities.

Bob N4RF
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Bob,
The confirmation status is indicated by the coloured blocks above the dot matrix and indicate worked and/or confirmed by country, band and mode.

Please restrict Beta feature discussions to the Beta thread on the forum
73 Terry G4POP
vk1hx
Advanced Class

Post by vk1hx »

Hi all,

Log4OM is my go to logging program for everything and love it. A couple of suggestions for the future just make it easier maybe.

1. It would be nice to have LOTW and eQSL buttons to make uploading and downloading easier. I mostly only LOTW and eQSL these days and having to remember to go into QSL mgnt and complete the process is a little clunky. Its good but would be nice up front. Alternatively right mouse clicking the log entry and having an option to (upload/download) LOTW and eQSL in the menu like qrz, clublog, Hamqth etc. Even an auto upload to LOTW on a logged contact.

2. Is there anyway Log4OM can track the mode of the radio a little better than just SSB? It will change its mode for AM, FM, CW, however for RTTY, USB, LSB, LSB-D and USB-D (D = Digital) it just uses SSB. If working digi modes it would be nice to see these other modes come in. Even if it only can do DIGI for all digital modes.
The logbook will record digital modes such as FT8/FT4 etc from the digital application which is good.

3. Extend the current 2 rig connection ability to connect 4 different radios through Omnirig. With the update to Omnirig supporting 4 radio connections this would be useful if you use multiple radios.

Anyway 73' for now.
Phil - VK1HX
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

vk1hx wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 12:27 Hi all,

Log4OM is my go to logging program for everything and love it. A couple of suggestions for the future just make it easier maybe.

1. It would be nice to have LOTW and eQSL buttons to make uploading and downloading easier. I mostly only LOTW and eQSL these days and having to remember to go into QSL mgnt and complete the process is a little clunky. Its good but would be nice up front. Alternatively right mouse clicking the log entry and having an option to (upload/download) LOTW and eQSL in the menu like qrz, clublog, Hamqth etc. Even an auto upload to LOTW on a logged contact.

2. Is there anyway Log4OM can track the mode of the radio a little better than just SSB? It will change its mode for AM, FM, CW, however for RTTY, USB, LSB, LSB-D and USB-D (D = Digital) it just uses SSB. If working digi modes it would be nice to see these other modes come in. Even if it only can do DIGI for all digital modes.
The logbook will record digital modes such as FT8/FT4 etc from the digital application which is good.

3. Extend the current 2 rig connection ability to connect 4 different radios through Omnirig. With the update to Omnirig supporting 4 radio connections this would be useful if you use multiple radios.

Anyway 73' for now.
Phil - VK1HX
Phil,

Many resources currently available for some elements you have noted. I've added some URLs below for you.

RE: OmniRig (2 & 4 rigs) ... that would have to be addressed by the developer of OmniRig. You can reach out to OmniRig's developer and ask him about such.

URL for many of the existing videos for Log4OM. You can scroll through and find those of interest to your needs and possibly questions.
http://www.log4om.com/category/video/

URL below is a teaser preview that Terry did recently for V2 that is currently being worked on.
https://forum.log4om.com/viewtopic.php? ... 2#p23112

URL below takes you top the YouTube site for the videos as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gGEI5wSVtw
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
WB4M

Post by WB4M »

Adjustable fonts please! Thank you! V2 is great improvement!
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

WB4M wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 22:32 Adjustable fonts please! Thank you! V2 is great improvement!
This is the version 1 forum and I think that your referring to version 2, if you are then adjustable fonts are already included in V2
73 Terry G4POP