New LOG4OM user with suggestions ......

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
J85K
Advanced Class

New LOG4OM user with suggestions ......

Post by J85K »

Attention:- Administrator / Design Team

I am migrating to Log4OM from HRD 5.24.38 package that I've been using for some five years and a little more than 10,000 QSO's. HRD ver 6.2 preview has re-worked the CLUSTER headings and I suspect that it is only a matter of time before Cluster information in the free legacy platform becomes unreadable. I also appears very USA-centric with DX 'Countries' that are US states. I think that cluster writes are already generally oversubscribed with extraneous information.

1) I am having difficulty with HRDNET.log. I am aware of the format of the 'upload' code and requested a 'new' one, but it doesn't play. I especially love the updateable DX map feature. Does Log4OM consider that this is a useful, and would write its own iteration?

2) I also notice that only one QSO at a time can be entered. Under HRD, you could open several ALE/QSO windows under the 'ADD' function and close as necessary. This might something to consider if not too much trouble.

3) I have a keen interest in the 'Net Control' register option which is new to me, but it appears that I have to manually preload the data fields. Could the feauture not be able to recall a previous entry / new check-in and simply save to designated Net Control log by having a second add button and of course it would display those contacts under a "Net Control' tab as with "'QSO's" etc.

4) Could the Cluster Map be made interchangeable with an additional 'tab' contained in the section above? The Alphanumeric Cluster information on the right would usually be sufficient to change the transceiver frequency correctly. I did so enjoy the Cluster information box user layout options in HRD 5.24.38.

5) It is not a priority; but can Log4OM be programmed to automatically select the correct phone sideband mode when switching frequencies. LSB below 40m and USB above? I've added via Notepad but must remember to check mode each DX cycle.

6) The 'Detach' panel feature would be more useful if it allowed either an automatic widening to the data box residing next to it; or allowed another service to be started in that 'empty' screen space.

I like the look and general feel og Log4OM, and commend its authors. I, of course have a learning curve to climb and old expectations to set aside.

Thanks and regards,

Kumar_J85K
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: New LOG4OM user with suggestions ......

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi Kumar, welcome aboard.
J85K wrote:Attention:- Administrator / Design Team
I am migrating to Log4OM from HRD 5.24.38 package that I've been using for some five years and a little more than 10,000 QSO's. HRD ver 6.2 preview has re-worked the CLUSTER headings and I suspect that it is only a matter of time before Cluster information in the free legacy platform becomes unreadable. I also appears very USA-centric with DX 'Countries' that are US states. I think that cluster writes are already generally oversubscribed with extraneous information.

DX Cluster is driven by a worldwide standard, so until the cluster software will not change (and unlikely it will change) the cluster will remain available in all old software. Anyway this is not a good reason to stop trying Log4OM :D

J85K wrote:
1) I am having difficulty with HRDNET.log. I am aware of the format of the 'upload' code and requested a 'new' one, but it doesn't play. I especially love the updateable DX map feature. Does Log4OM consider that this is a useful, and would write its own iteration?

Can you check the program log if there are error reports?
It's available on the HELP MENU, in the folder opened by the last option, subfolder /LOG (unfortunately due to a small issue in v.1.16 the log is not directly opened by the application itself). A sort of DXMAP is available in statistics.

J85K wrote:
2) I also notice that only one QSO at a time can be entered. Under HRD, you could open several ALE/QSO windows under the 'ADD' function and close as necessary. This might something to consider if not too much trouble.

The QSO insert in Log4OM is strictly related to many functions in log4om itself, like lookups, maps, previous qso and country statistics. This is the main reason we have a single QSO input, linked with all features (rotator included). Adding "external" qso input screen is possible, but with reduced integration with the other items of the system

J85K wrote:
3) I have a keen interest in the 'Net Control' register option which is new to me, but it appears that I have to manually preload the data fields. Could the feauture not be able to recall a previous entry / new check-in and simply save to designated Net Control log by having a second add button and of course it would display those contacts under a "Net Control' tab as with "'QSO's" etc.

NET control can be used in "real time", adding new calls when they enter the NET. The list of users added in a session can be saved and used for the next NET session. Users in the right side are "inactive", "current" are on the left one. Data fields are for your reference only. You can add them if you need to have those informations at your hands, but when you add a QSO (moving from active to inactive) a QRZ/HAMQTH lookup will be made to fill all data for the user.

J85K wrote:
4) Could the Cluster Map be made interchangeable with an additional 'tab' contained in the section above? The Alphanumeric Cluster information on the right would usually be sufficient to change the transceiver frequency correctly. I did so enjoy the Cluster information box user layout options in HRD 5.24.38.

Can you explain better this point? What you mean for "alphanumeric cluster informations on the right"?

J85K wrote:
5) It is not a priority; but can Log4OM be programmed to automatically select the correct phone sideband mode when switching frequencies. LSB below 40m and USB above? I've added via Notepad but must remember to check mode each DX cycle.

We already did that, and we switch to the right sideband using your bandplan (based on REGION selectable into settings screen). Report us if you have troubles, and we will help you with that.
It should works correctly, as we don't have bug reports on that. You can edit your bandplan in the "bandplan_Rxxx.xml" file in your settings folder.
Remember to rename it as "bandplan_Rxxx_user.xml" to keep the file in case of version upgrade.

J85K wrote:
6) The 'Detach' panel feature would be more useful if it allowed either an automatic widening to the data box residing next to it; or allowed another service to be started in that 'empty' screen space.

Detach is, actually, only a mirror of the current one. We don't have a modular option to let user place something else under tabs, but this can be evaluated in a future release.

J85K wrote:
I like the look and general feel og Log4OM, and commend its authors. I, of course have a learning curve to climb and old expectations to set aside.
Thanks and regards,

Kumar_J85K
Thanks Kumar, we think the "learning curve" is smooth. There are a LOT of things that you can discover day by day on Log4OM, and many things are "hidden" to provide you the simplest and complete user experience. The user manual is huge and very detailed, and will cover almost all things on the software

Daniele IW3HMH
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Good Morning Kumar,

I see that the boss Daniele has answered your questions so I will confine my answers to only specific points
HRD ver 6.2 preview has re-worked the CLUSTER headings and I suspect that it is only a matter of time before Cluster information in the free legacy platform becomes unreadable. I also appears very USA-centric with DX 'Countries' that are US states. I think that cluster writes are already generally oversubscribed with extraneous information.
The HRD rework of their cluster is specific to HRD! the information provided by DX clusters worldwide still conforms to a fairly standard dataset.

My way of overcoming the "USA Centric" overall system is to employ a large degree of filtering at source. I use VE7CC cluster and their software to finely filter what results I receive in Log4OM, once the filtering is completed in the VE7CC software I never need to open it again.

Now in Log4OM I connect to the VE7CC cluster and in my login script I have the command SH/ MYDX now all incoming spots conform to the filters that I have set on the VE7CC cluster e.g. I only receive spots from spotters in Countries close to England. I can then further filter within Log4OM by mode, band etc thus ensuring that I am not overwhelmed by spots originating in the US, Oceania, Asia etc
A common mistake here is not remembering that the HRDLog.net code is case sensitive
I may have misunderstood the question? but I believe the feature is already present with the New net, Open Net, Close Net controls!

All I do is create a new net with a meaningful name and then add members as they join by clicking the + button. When the net finishes and I close the net all entries made are automatically saved and can be recalled the next time that I open that net and of course more new members can be added over a period of time for future recall.
As with Daniele I don't fully understand this one please explain further and also let us know which cluster map you are referring to F1 in the telnet cluster or F1 in the Super cluster

All good point so please keep the ideas coming
73 Terry G4POP
J85K
Advanced Class

Post by J85K »

I may have misunderstood the question? but I believe the feature is already present with the New net, Open Net, Close Net controls!
I believe that the 'Net Control' feature is in a sub-menu as an add-on. My intention is that at the main menu level 'QSO'; an additional 'ADD' button subscribed to 'Net Control' be added. That is to say, that I can enter a QSO, but exclusively filter its designation, by using the 'Net Control" "ADD". Of course one would have to select the correct Net Name from a list.

In my case, Friendly 7188 Net, Caribbean Emergency & Weather Net, etc. When reviewing my QSO's perhaps at QSL's answering time, there would be an additional column indicating 'Net Contact' in the Complete QSO list that is shown high-lighted as "Net - QSO' 7188 or CEWN; and greyed out if NOT.
As with Daniele I don't fully understand this one please explain further and also let us know which cluster map you are referring to F1 in the telnet cluster or F1 in the Super cluster
Only under the QSO (F6) function, do you see an upper and lower window. Lower window is your iteration of this:-
Cluster map.jpg
Cluster map.jpg (12.19 KiB) Viewed 7763 times
There would be so much more functionality if this lower window is ALWAYS interchange via any F function, except "QSO" (F6). In particular, I see it as a scrolling feature as you do NET (F12?)check-ins to review your check-ins prior to closing the net.

Alphanumeric
refers to the 'Latest Spots' -- Digital, CW, Phone -- in the bottom right hand corner. Basically this is redundant to the Cluster (F9) function.

I do hope that I've been able to convey my intention clearly.

Thanks and regards,

Kumar_J85K
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Hi again Kumar,
I think I now understand better what you are describing
I believe that the 'Net Control' feature is in a sub-menu as an add-on.

Yes it is in the 'Utilities ' drop down menu
My intention is that at the main menu level 'QSO'; an additional 'ADD' button subscribed to 'Net Control' be added. That is to say, that I can enter a QSO, but exclusively filter its designation, by using the 'Net Control" "ADD". Of course one would have to select the correct Net Name from a list.
This seems a good idea but only Daniele can advise if this is possible to be programmed.
When reviewing my QSO's perhaps at QSL's answering time, there would be an additional column indicating 'Net Contact' in the Complete QSO list that is shown high-lighted as "Net - QSO' 7188 or CEWN; and greyed out if NOT.
This would have to be a programme defined field because we adhere to the ADIF format and there is not a 'Net name' filed in ADIF.

However a solution is to hand already in the existing ADIF format you could use the Special interest group (SIG) and Special interest group (SIG Info) fields when adding a net member in the existing net control module.

Then it is simple to search/filter on the SIG file for QSO's conforming to that Net and manage the QSL's accordingly.
Only under the QSO (F6) function, do you see an upper and lower window. Lower window is your iteration of this - There would be so much more functionality if this lower window is ALWAYS interchange via any "QSO" (F6). In particular, I see it as a scrolling feature as you do NET (F12?)check-ins to review your check-ins prior to closing the net.
I believe that you are requesting a choice of displaying either the existing grey line map or a new pane which displays the same information now seen in the Net control window?
Alphanumeric refers to the 'Latest Spots' -- Digital, CW, Phone -- in the bottom right hand corner. Basically this is redundant to the Cluster (F9) function.
Sorry but I must have had my thick pills today :) because I still don't understand what you require here?
73 Terry G4POP
J85K
Advanced Class

Post by J85K »

Sorry but I must have had my thick pills today :) because I still don't understand what you require here?
Not quite, maybe I'm not being clear. Intentions are hard to translate.

I am only pointing out that this utility is probably not necessary as you already have Cluster and Super Cluster.

If for instance, the Band / PH/ CW / DIG detachable panel was permanently placed in that space, it would and then allow full width for items occupying the lower box under the existing (F6) function. Unless I don't quite understand how the Cluster (F9) and Super (mine not activated at this time) Cluster functions operate.

Thanks and regards,

Kumar_J85K
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Ok now I understand Kumar,

Some of us when using net books like the small cluster but whe I am at home on my main computer I click the "hide" button under the small cluster and just use the F9 cluster or the main cluster on my second monitor
73 Terry G4POP
J85K
Advanced Class

Post by J85K »

We already did that, and we switch to the right sideband using your bandplan (based on REGION selectable into settings screen). Report us if you have troubles, and we will help you with that.
It should works correctly, as we don't have bug reports on that. You can edit your bandplan in the "bandplan_Rxxx.xml" file in your settings folder.
Remember to rename it as "bandplan_Rxxx_user.xml" to keep the file in case of version upgrade.
Hi Danielle_IW3HMH.

I reside in Region 2 and in bandplan_Rxxx_xml file this is what I have there: -
160m
80m
60m
40m
30m
20m
17m
15m
12m
10m
6m
2m
70cm

I've also modified bandlist as above. I see only SSB coming up by default. I myself added LSB / USB under modelist, but it will be a manual select.

Was that correctly done?

Thanks and regards,

Kumar_J85K
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi Kumar, in the bandplan for R2 i can see:

Code: Select all

<BandPlanRange>
    <Band>12m</Band>
    <Start>24890</Start>
    <End>24915</End>
    <BandUpperLimit>false</BandUpperLimit>
    <EmissionType>CW</EmissionType>
    <ModulationType>USB</ModulationType>
   </BandPlanRange>
This file is used to tune the rig to the correct side band, using ModulationType field. You can change this file accordingly to your needs. This file is used also for CLUSTER analysis.

The modelist you updated is an ADIF list, and ADIF uses "SSB" string, not USB/LSB
Changing this file will log your contacts in LSB or USB, but this change will not be compliant with ADIF standards, so you can have troubles matching QSO in EQSL/LOTW or other systems when exporting your data to ADIF. I provided everything on user configurable files, and you can change those files, of course, as you want, but be aware about the ADIF integration

Mode is always a manual select except for some modes (FM, AM, CW), because Log4OM is unable to receive from CAT informations about what is the mode (or digital mode) currently in use (digital mode set usually reports SSB or a generic DIGITAL information to CAT, not the digital format used as you can imagine)
Daniele
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

When you double click a spot the rig mode will change to USB or LSB dependant on the band plan being used and the frequency of the spot.

However the mode will be indicated as SSB because this is what the ADIF format requires

Logging will be correct at all times if you use the correct band plan
73 Terry G4POP