SOTA

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

SOTA

Post by G4POP »

Hopefully in the next release there will be a SOTA field for entry of the SOTA reference

There is a downloadable list of all SOTA Summits available on the SOTA site which includes the points score for each summit worked and I am going to propose to our team that, at some time in the future, this list be included in the automatic downloads for lookup and scoring purposes.

The idea would be that as a contact was made with a particular summit reference that the points scored for the summit would be recorded for that QSO and added to your award total, the summits could be shown in the Log4OM awards statistics for list generation when applying to SOTA for an award certificate.

Before I submit my final roposal to the team are there any SOTA chasers or activators on the forum that would like to add their own ideas to the proposal?
73 Terry G4POP
gi0hwo
Novice Class

Re: SOTA

Post by gi0hwo »

Sounds good to me Terry.

One mans negative opinion is another ones positive.

73 de John
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Chuck, i'm about to upgrade Log4OM to new ADIF 3.04 structure, where SOTA is present, with other fields.
I don't like new ADIF team way of work, but i must follow the standards.

I'm working on many parts of the code, trying to keep everyone happy, even with different interests.
i don't have placed awards in the trash bin, but they're not my only priority as you know.

new version will have, hopefully, some nice new features to track qso informations and some long awaited requests added. WAZ and other awards are in my list, as well as SOTA fields and many many other things :)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

I have added a SOTA filter to the cluster custom filters as below

(([A-Z0-9]{1,3}))(\/)(([A-Z0-9]{1,2}))(-)(\d+)
((sota)|(SOTA)|(SUMMIT)|(summit))

And it is working well as shown in the attached image
Attachments
SOTA Filter.jpg
SOTA Filter.jpg (126.35 KiB) Viewed 7190 times
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Good, remember me to add this to the default filters :)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Daniele has progressed very well with implementation of SOTA, regardless of the fact that ADIF only provide the essential fields of My_SOTA_Ref and SOTA_Ref in ADIF 3.04.

As you will see from the graphic below we have the above ADIF My_SOTA_Ref and SOTA_Ref fields plus

SOTA Association
SOTA Region
Summit Name
Search field

This makes it very easy to record the SOTA information during a QSO

It is now also possible to export a CSV file which is suitable for upload to the SOTA Watch database

e.g.
G4POP,,12/03/2014,16:32:10,60m,SSB,MW0JLA/P,GW/SW-006,Spoke good English for a Welshman HI

Soon SOTA will add summit name and points to the required upload and Daniele will implement a special export for this new upload specification.

Ultimately there will also be an awards statistic display for SOTA similar to the IOTA award

Now for the bad news.
Because the people at SOTA dislike automatic uploads of CSV files and SOTA cluster lookup from logging programs we will not be implementing those facilities
Attachments
SOTA.JPG
SOTA.JPG (54.19 KiB) Viewed 7082 times
73 Terry G4POP
vk3il
Novice Class

Post by vk3il »

Hi,

I've just discovered Log4OM and like it very much. I'm a keen SOTA operator and so am particularly interested in the SOTA capabilities of the program.

I've noted that in chasing SOTA, that when you have QRZ.COM linked to it, then the location and grid square are set by that rather than the portable location of the station. Is it possible to make the summit reference set the location automatically ?

David.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

vk3il wrote:I've noted that in chasing SOTA, that when you have QRZ.COM linked to it, then the location and grid square are set by that rather than the portable location of the station. Is it possible to make the summit reference set the location automatically ?
This should be possible because almost every summit in the summit list provides a Latitude and Longitude so we can use that to convert to a QRA locator.

I will speak to Daniele about this if he agrees I will add it to our Mantis list.

It will be some time before we release a further update, unless a major bug is found in this one, so please be patient :D
73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

G4POP wrote:
vk3il wrote:I've noted that in chasing SOTA, that when you have QRZ.COM linked to it, then the location and grid square are set by that rather than the portable location of the station. Is it possible to make the summit reference set the location automatically ?
This should be possible because almost every summit in the summit list provides a Latitude and Longitude so we can use that to convert to a QRA locator.

I will speak to Daniele about this if he agrees I will add it to our Mantis list.

It will be some time before we release a further update, unless a major bug is found in this one, so please be patient :D
I discussed this with Daniele and we both think its a good Idea so I have added it to our Mantis list

Thanks for the input
73 Terry G4POP
VE2DDZ
Novice Class

Post by VE2DDZ »

G4POP wrote:
G4POP wrote:

I discussed this with Daniele and we both think its a good Idea so I have added it to our Mantis list

Thanks for the input
Excellent. I'm looking forward to this feature as well. Currently I update the grid square manually after looking it up on SOTAMaps. Thanks for all the attention you're paying to SOTA features.

Malcolm VE2DDZ