SOTA: My SOTA

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
k0mos
Novice Class

SOTA: My SOTA

Post by k0mos »

Would it be possible to (automatically) get the summit name added to the MY SOTA (STATION INFO=>MYSOTA) field?
Adding the SOTA reference should populate the summit name and then added to the log with refernece and summit name.
I would like to see the SOTA reference AND the summit name in my log. Most SOTA references do not 'speak' to me, summits names normally do.
Hope I was able to explain what I mean :)
Otherwise let me know and I will try again.

Thanks

Matt/K0MOS
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: SOTA: My SOTA

Post by G4POP »

Matt,
I would have to take Daniele's advice on that but meanwhile the summit names do display in the statistics and awards displays.
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi Matt, actually we can display only fields contained in database.
Since the code is containing all the informations we don't store redundant informations in DB and we don't store this information in the database.
Anyway it's possible to show it, if available, but i can't understand where you wish to see the summit name in the user interface
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
k0mos
Novice Class

Post by k0mos »

Daniele, attached a mock-up what I would like to see.
Reason: When browsing through my log I do typically not recognize a SOTA reference number. Especially if it is a summit half around the world. What I do recognize is the summit name. So by reading OE/VB-287 it does not click, but seeing that this ref# is a summit called 'Galinakof' jogs my memory :)

IMHO, this can be easily achieved by adding another field to the SETTINGS=>OPTIONS=>STATION INFO window where I populate the 'My SOTA' field. Ideally it would get the summit name info by accessing the online SOTA DB, queering the SOTA Reference and adding the summit name automatically but I can easily live with a field I have to populate manually each time.

Hope this makes sense.

Matt/K0MOS
Attachments
Log4Om_SOTA_wish.jpg
Log4Om_SOTA_wish.jpg (200.58 KiB) Viewed 7096 times
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Yes, it make sense, but there is a technological problem.
When i populate fields in the grid i don't analyze the field content. I cannot (i'm not doing, better) recognize a field by it's content, but only by it's content type.
So i will translate dates from YYYYMMDD to DD/MM/YYYY because the field is marked as "DATE", i translate boolean to TRUE and FALSE because fields are marked as boolean and so on.
I will not "recognize" a field by what it means, so i don't do "this field is MySotaRef so add to the field the correspondent information got by the sota summit list".

Making this change means changing the structure of the whole datagrid control. It's possible, but you will pay a possibly hard slow down because for each row i'm forced to go to sota database class searching for the summit name in thousand of values.
This will affect refresh time, making the application much more slower on every part.
Adding another field to database will drive to a de-normalization of the data structure (what if the peak name changes, in future, due to a correction?) and requires a database change, that i'm usually don't do if not strictly necessary

Another possibility is to save the full string into the SOTA field (code + description) but this requires a rework on export and will also create big troubles on data analysis and queries (you can have mixed situations with code and code+description and possibly code + different description but similar.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Lele,
See the email conversation with Ian Sinclair about the possibility of taking the Summit name and inserting it into the QTH field the same as we do with the Locator replacing the locator from QRZ

Matt should have also seen this email because he is one of the people on that mailing list
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

yes, done.
VE2DDZ
Novice Class

Post by VE2DDZ »

G4POP wrote: See the email conversation with Ian Sinclair about the possibility of taking the Summit name and inserting it into the QTH field the same as we do with the Locator replacing the locator from QRZ
I think entering the summit name into the QTH field is a much better solution than tacking it on to MY_SOTA_REF or to SOTA_REF. Ian's proposal will be much easier to handle for import/export and for queries.

Malcolm VE2DDZ
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

VE2DDZ wrote:
G4POP wrote: See the email conversation with Ian Sinclair about the possibility of taking the Summit name and inserting it into the QTH field the same as we do with the Locator replacing the locator from QRZ
I think entering the summit name into the QTH field is a much better solution than tacking it on to MY_SOTA_REF or to SOTA_REF. Ian's proposal will be much easier to handle for import/export and for queries.

Malcolm VE2DDZ

This is implemented in the Alpha we are currently testing
73 Terry G4POP