Locator squares

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
PB4FUN
Advanced Class

Locator squares

Post by PB4FUN »

I would like to see next to the DXCC notifications (new, worked on xx m phone, confirmed on xx m CW etc) the same with locator squares.
Also statistics and maps for worked squares and so on.
PB4FUN Meindert; Rig : Icom IC-9100 / Ant: Falcon OUT-250-B @4m AGL; 144 MHz 16 el @ 4m AGL; 70 cm 23 el @ 5 m AGL
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Locator squares

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi, something for grid squares is already planned for one of next releases
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
ei9ju
Advanced Class

Post by ei9ju »

Now Grid Square plotting is up & running how does one go about finding out how many grid squares have been worked over a given period, for instance how many grids worked in 2014?
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

ei9ju wrote:Now Grid Square plotting is up & running how does one go about finding out how many grid squares have been worked over a given period, for instance how many grids worked in 2014?

Why? Is there an award for the number of grid squares worked?

The only one that I am aware of is VUCC/Fred Fish for American squares!
73 Terry G4POP
ei9ju
Advanced Class

Post by ei9ju »

G4POP wrote:
ei9ju wrote:Now Grid Square plotting is up & running how does one go about finding out how many grid squares have been worked over a given period, for instance how many grids worked in 2014?

Not an Award as such Terry but some Societies (the IRTS being one) ask members to submit running totals throughout the calendar year of grid squares worked on the VHF Bands, it generates a bit of competition resulting in more band activity.
A radio website I also frequent also runs a similar league table, there's no Awards for taking part....just kudos for giving it your best shot. ;)
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

ei9ju wrote:
G4POP wrote:

Not an Award as such Terry but some Societies (the IRTS being one) ask members to submit running totals throughout the calendar year of grid squares worked on the VHF Bands, it generates a bit of competition resulting in more band activity.
A radio website I also frequent also runs a similar league table, there's no Awards for taking part....just kudos for giving it your best shot. ;)
Not in our plans at this time but possibly something we could consider in the future.

Meanwhile why not use the search parameters facility in the archive manager to search QSO's for all locators in Ireland? something like :

DXCC =(equals) 245 - This would select only QSO's for Ireland (You could add DXCC =(equals) 265 if you need both north and south)
Grid square !=(Not equal to) "Leave the parameter field empty then the search is looking for all Grid square fields that are not empty

Execute the search and then click the column heading "Grid Square" to sort alphabetically ascending.

Now you have a list as shown below that you can export to an ADIF file or as a CSV file for further manipulation in a spreadsheet.
Attachments
Screenshot 2014-08-02 16.36.19.png
Screenshot 2014-08-02 16.36.19.png (97.94 KiB) Viewed 8233 times
73 Terry G4POP
G0OFE
Novice Class

Post by G0OFE »

Another one here for Grid Square support in awards chasing and statistics.

What we need is to be able to keep check of what grids we have worked parsed to 4 characters (e.g. IO90)

Plenty of dxers on VHF in particular (and some on HF, on the JT-HF side) track them.

For me, it is essential in any logging program if I am to use it.

Edited to add: I suppose one quick and easy way to do it without having to add too much code to the program would be to add an award with the parameters being each of the 2° by 1° grid squares (in the same way as IOTA islands references, etc)
Only problem is that there are 32,400 of them!!

I guess a list could be generated, with whole fields that only contain water not included, (HO field and CD field for example) but it would still be a list of thousands - too many for the software to cope with? dunno!

Would also like to see a date filter on all Statistics to help those who like to use "in-year" statistics.
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi, i have a function that generates square listings, so it's pretty easy.
The main issue is the identification of squares containing only water, that is very complicated.
Reducing squares to 4 digits will decrease number of them, but as you said the number is really big.
We're thinking something valid, but we have troubles imaging what could be a good way to manage those square lists...
G0OFE
Novice Class

Post by G0OFE »

There are 38,400 total 4-character squares - 384 fields with 100 squares in each.

A quick way to reduce that number would be to remove from that list all fields i.e. HO or CD etc. that definitely have no land. Each field removed takes 100 squares from the total. A quick check of a world grid squares map indicates 50 fields or 5000 grids can immediately be removed in this way.

Another way might be to parse each locator logged to 4 characters and add to a dynamic awards database so that the list is only as long as the total number of grids worked by the station in question. I think that was how DXBase did it back in the day.
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Yes, starting from the end and not from the potential list is what i thought some days ago...
what info are requested? band, mode...?