Auto refresh after changes

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
VK7XX
Old Man

Auto refresh after changes

Post by VK7XX »

Currently, the Recent QSO window auto refreshes after making changes via double clicking a callsign. This is great. Would it be possible to also have that window auto-refresh when changes are made via the post box icon, QSL Management.... and also when changes are made via the QSO Manager / QSO Archive ???? (and the new right click 'upload' menu that is being added)

John
VK7XX
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Auto refresh after changes

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi, yes, it's possible but this was a precise choice.
When working on qso/qsl screens you potentially can work on very old qso, not listed or not of interest in the main user interface, that is made for supporting your current activity.
This is the reason i un-linked the list from those functions, in order to keep the main user interface fast and responsive.

There is a "refresh" button on the grid, you surely noticed that. The purpose of this button is to force refresh, in case you need the main UI refresh

Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
VK7XX
Old Man

Post by VK7XX »

IW3HMH wrote: <some text deleted>
There is a "refresh" button on the grid, you surely noticed that. The purpose of this button is to force refresh, in case you need the main UI refresh

Hello Daniel. Oh yes, I noticed the refresh button. And I have been using it too. In fact, clicking things is what prompted me to ask for auto refresh. As I have said once or twice, I do all of my eqsl / lotw / hrdlog / clublog manually, and compated to the program that I switched over from (HRD) log4om has 4 or more times the number of clicks for performing the same operations and I am trying to get past the frustration of this as well as wearing out my mouse and my finger :-)

John
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Why not use the QSL Manager it's much faster than HRD and easier to use?
73 Terry G4POP
VK7XX
Old Man

Post by VK7XX »

G4POP wrote:Why not use the QSL Manager it's much faster than HRD and easier to use?
I must be doing it incorrectly, because HRD is wayyyyyy quicker than QSL Manager. Please point out where I am going wrong. Keep in mind that I am manually uploading.

For this example, I'll just use a single entry manual upload to HRDlog... When I make a contact in HRD, after entering it in the log, I just right click the entry and in the drop down mwnu, choose HRDlog.net / upload and click that is 2 clicks. I then view my hrdlog.net log to see if the upload was successful... if it was not, I repeat the previous 2 clicks...... so now we have 4 clicks for a repeat

At this time, there is no right click menu in Log4OM so, when I log a contact in Log4OM, in order to upload it to HRDlog the steps are. Click the post box icon. Select date range (quicker than typing in the call) click one of the 3 buttons (QSL/EQSL/LOTW) Click Search, right click the callsign and click Upload/Update HRDlog.net then click again to close that window. That is 5 clicks to do the same as 2 in HRD.. I then check my HRDlog.net log... If the upload fails I have to repeat those 5 steps.... And it gets even more frustrating.. Around 70 to 80 % of the time, Log4OM does not update the 'HRDLog uploaded' status column and I have found frem repeated tries using the steps outlined, that the status does not update first time, it never does update and the only way to then do this is to use 'QSO Manager / QSO Archive' click date range, click search, highlight the call concerned, click Field Update Type the letter H, click the drop down box to choose HRDLog upload status, click in the 'value' box , type in a Y, click Update, Click the OK to close the 'completed' box click to close the windows... thats 12 clicks and some typing just to update the field in the column or 17 clicks to do what can be done in HRD with 4.

And these are not counting the clicks on the "Refresh" to see if the changes happened to the HRDUpload status column... My request for auto refresh is to try and save my sanity.. Now you can probably see why I am getting a little frustrated.

I am aware that Daniele has responded to my requests some time ago to put in a right click menu on the entries in the Recent QSO window and to change the timing and feedback of uploads to HRDlog for those of us that choose to manually upload so, a lot of these clicks will soon become outdated. Meanwhile, if anyone can point out to me another way to do this, keeping in mind that I am manually uploading, I would love to hear how I should be doing it.

thanks for reading
John
VK7CW
Advanced Class

Post by VK7CW »

Hi John,

Hope all is well.

Not sure why you are manually uploading to HRDLog.net but if you want to save your sanity, why don't you simply let Log4om do an automatic upload to HRD Log.net on new QSO.

Sure is easier.

Take care,

73 de Steve VK7CW
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

John,
I am sure that you have a very good reason for wanting to manually upload to the various on line logs instead of using the automatic facilities provided, please explain you reasons.
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

i'm adding the right click function to the main user interface grid.
Sanity of users is my top priority ;)

Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
VK7XX
Old Man

Post by VK7XX »

G4POP wrote:John,
I am sure that you have a very good reason for wanting to manually upload to the various on line logs instead of using the automatic facilities provided, please explain you reasons.

Hello Terry. (and Steve) Actually, I have mentioned my reasons on several occasions.... here 'tis....... For whatever reason, my brain does not function at its best and I frequently and I do mean frequently, enter the incorrect callsign in to my log. Always, it is some time later that I discover this error and then IF auto uploading is enabled there is twice as much work correcting the errors. With LOTW it does not matter so much, but with eqsl and hrdlog it means I have to go in to those sites and either edit the entry to correct it or delete them and upload the correct info. With auto, editing the contact and then re-uploading does not overwrite the incorrect info but creates new entries, leaving the bad entries behind with other eqsl users getting contacts from me that never happened or, worse (for me) my on line log page on my own web site showing bad info.

Gimme a new brain and I could use auto.. I certainly would prefer this method... Alas, it "aint gonna happen". So, its manual loading :cry:

John
Last edited by VK7XX on 04 Jun 2014, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
VK7XX
Old Man

Post by VK7XX »

IW3HMH wrote:i'm adding the right click function to the main user interface grid.
Sanity of users is my top priority ;)

Saviour of my sanity, I thank you :!: :!: :!: :D