Advanced option on import

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
yt9tp
Old Man

Advanced option on import

Post by yt9tp »

When I run portable I usually log QSOs on paper and use some simple logging tools to make elog. When I import such data it lacks some if data I need in log (and which i cannot add on my own.

For example, i need Statin callsign to be properly set with /P suffix. Log4Om adds this automatically when I use it for logging and use appropriate profile. When I import data (even when I am in appropriate profile) this field stays empty.

Also, I need to set RX power, which is also automatically done in Log4OM when entering QSO but not when importing from external source,.

And finally, as I usually work portable for some activity like WCA activation, I would like QSO to be marked as such.

It would be great if we have an option in import dialogue to preset some field values and set some custom text to be added to comment field while data is importing.
YT9TP, op. Pedja, QTH Uzice, Serbia, http://www.yt9tp.iz.rs
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Advanced option on import

Post by G4POP »

As these fields do not vary for each QSO why can't you bulk edit these fields post import?

For the few occasions that you operate in this manner it seems unreasonable to request a re-write of the code when you can achieve this with bulk editing in the QSO archive manager!
73 Terry G4POP
yt9tp
Old Man

Post by yt9tp »

You mean why providing simple and easy tool when we can do it in hard way?

It is not that easy to find and select all imported records as they are not necessarily in order as there are other logged QSO-s that mix in date and time.

And bulk editing has to be repeated for each field that should be changed.

On import, exact records are already selected, all that is needed are options to fix them before storing them in local database, and in logical flow of steps.

I see it perfectly reasonable to suggest improvements that would make interface MORE USER FRIENDLY AND EASIER to accomplish repetitious tasks.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

As it is impossible for you to be in two places at the same time I fail to see how other QSO's could be intermingles therefore a simple selection by date/time will identify the records for editing.

Let us see if the changes that you request are also requested by other users before we spend time changing the program for one specific users requirements.

The eay way would be for you to provide a complete ADIF for import!
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

yt9tp wrote:For example, i need Statin callsign to be properly set with /P suffix. Log4Om adds this automatically when I use it for logging and use appropriate profile. When I import data (even when I am in appropriate profile) this field stays empty.
Please confirm:
you have station callsign set on your ADIF, and this station callsign is not imported correctly?

Thanks
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
yt9tp
Old Man

Post by yt9tp »

Negative. I do not have station call sign in imported file (contesting logger support very limited number of fields). I wish option that I can set station call sign to be forced on import, so I do not have to additionally search and edit imported records. the same goes with TX power, information about WCA activation, etc...
G4POP wrote:As it is impossible for you to be in two places at the same time I fail to see how other QSO's could be intermingles therefore a simple selection by date/time will identify the records for editing.
Yes, i noticed that you have very strange lack of ability to see things from user's point of view, just yours.

What is strange if there is separate logging done in longer time period and occasionally imported in central database in Log4OM? Of course it can span through long time period and that operator can make other QSOs logged by other means during the same period.

After all if data is imported there is no such guarantee that all QSO's are timely ordered belonging to the very same time period in on import. Insisting on this is, let me use your way of expression, unreasonable.

What if I have paper log and use it for my portable operations and then, from time to time, I retype all log data to import in log4om? Am I forbidden to make any other QSO until I retype paper log?
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Pedja, i will check your report.
Station callsign should be automatically set by Log4OM on import, i will check if there are reasons that prevent this.
Terry is doing his work, that means being sure that the whole community we/he's serving and supporting is aware of features and choices made in Log4OM.

I know you're a talented developer and your reports are accurate, but our approach on forum is to keep everything CLEAN and SIMPLE, and double check everything.

There are a lot of bug reports that belongs to incorrect user actions or incorrect installations or "ignorance" about actual features and choices or due to OS behaviours. Our approach is to keep it simple, and check every report starting from a potential error on user side. This way "paid" our efforts, allowing us to reachi faster solutions without overloading my bug fixing work. Reports that "broke" the first wall raised by Terry, Chuck and other team members are promptly added to our bug/opportunity list.

I'm sure you understand what i mean

Daniele IW3HMH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Daniele,
Station callsign should be automatically set by Log4OM on import, i will check if there are reasons that prevent this.
The problem is if you use the existing profile for the station call sign you can bet that the user will need it to be something different.

If you provide a choice or input field for setting the station call then users will accidentally overwrite the correct data if present in the import file or they will forget to change it for future imports.

If an imported ADIF is incomplete in any way it should be the users responsibility to correct the data pre or post import, we can't legislate for every other logging programs shortcomings. Experienced software users will correct the incoming file before importing it, to ensure the correct data is imported from the ADIF. Garbage in = More work for you in this instance!

Also what other special requirements will be requested next and where do you stop?

I don't believe that this is a feature that is required by the majority of users! it was never requested during my eight years with Simon working on HRD or during the last couple of years here with Log4OM.
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

I can agree with you Terry,
but a "station callsign" information is very important in Log4OM. Having something is better than nothing.

Anyway, plans are to set a station callsign if NOTHING is set. Let's talk about :)