Creating custom award

Moderator: OE6CLD

yt9tp
Old Man

Creating custom award

Post by yt9tp »

I learned about IARU Region 1 Award so I thought it would be good to create award for Log4OM.

I did usual procedure, created header, set award id to be REGION1, set other header fields, selected countries and saved. Award list refreshed but new awards is not in a list.

I tried several times, including log4m restart but it does not show.

However, award_REGION1.xml is created in awards directory.

I guess I am doing something wrong. Checked Help but I cannot notice nothing that I missed.
YT9TP, op. Pedja, QTH Uzice, Serbia, http://www.yt9tp.iz.rs
yt9tp
Old Man

Re: Creating custom award

Post by yt9tp »

After few attempts it showed up in a list.
YT9TP, op. Pedja, QTH Uzice, Serbia, http://www.yt9tp.iz.rs
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Everything is managed in a sqlite database.
The "awards_<awardname>.xls" is used to share awards with us, or save awards for later.
Those files should be "imported" into Log4OM to be shown in the awards list (but you should have the award, if you create it inside Log4OM...).

Happy to see you fixed :)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
g4pdf
Novice Class

Post by g4pdf »

As a potential new user of Log4OM ;) I have been trying to create custom awards in the hope that (eventually) I will be able to create a new set of WAB Award references (post-2009 removal of 'Counties' from the WAB award portfolio).

Following Terry's excellent Log4OM series of vidoes on YouTube, specifically https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1hiRxgj55U I created an award description for 'International Air Ambulance Week" as per the example.
Whilst the csv import (from an Excel spreadsheet) appears to have worked there are problems now (I believe) as program development has moved on ...
the "Rare One" Activation Note does not appear, and if dates are added to 'ValidFrom' and 'ValidTo' columns, these don't appear either.

I have tried a number of variations to try and work out for myself the correct fields (or order for padding) and have failed miserably. (If one does an XML export from an award definition the field names are not the same as those in the video example so that's not much help in seeing the relationships between fields and data)
Can we please have on the Forum a small fully populated spreadsheet example of Award references that will import correctly when converted to a CSV format :?: I'm assuming that on with a Windows-based OS, .CSV (MS-DOS) is the correct choice for export from Excel.

Many Thanks
Bob - G4PDF
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

g4pdf wrote:The csv import (from an Excel spreadsheet) appears to have worked there are problems now (I believe) as program development has moved on ...
the "Rare One" Activation Note does not appear, and if dates are added to 'ValidFrom' and 'ValidTo' columns, these don't appear either.

Can we please have on the Forum a small fully populated spreadsheet example of Award references that will import correctly when converted to a CSV format.
See below the header fields as in use today

ActivationItem,ActivationItemDescription,ActivationItemGroup,ActivationItemSubGroup,ActivationNote,ActivationScore,Dxcc,ValidFrom,ValidTo

Here is a simple spreadsheet that I used to check how many countries I have worked on 60 meters
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (42.85 KiB) Viewed 6589 times
The valid from and to columns don't require completing it the from and to dates are the same for every entry, just use the from and to dates on the first tab of the manager.
I'm assuming that on with a Windows-based OS, .CSV (MS-DOS) is the correct choice for export from Excel.
Yes it is Windows only normal .csv file, I use Excel to arrange the data then save as a csv

If you want to send me the data that you are trying to use then I will see what I cam make of it, my email is on QRZ
73 Terry G4POP
g4pdf
Novice Class

Post by g4pdf »

Hi Terry, thanks for your prompt reply.

I have been able to achieve my primary aim of creating fresh award definitions for WAB award Grid Squares, and writing a couple of new definitions supporting the GMDX Scottish Isles (IOSA) and (WASPA) Prefix awards.*

The secret to success appears to be following order of the headers shown in the manual (Pg.135 - no dups please in the primary column) and to ignore the misleading statement that the non-primary fields are optional; my experience is that you need all of the columns upto and including Dxcc ...

As you say, there is no need to populate the Validity fields - these do not import to the ref. data fields anyway.

*If anyone would like a copy of these csv files (at your own risk), please email me off-list.
g4pdf(at)bobcopeland<dot>net
73, de Bob G4PDF