wab award

Moderator: OE6CLD

ei9hq
Novice Class

wab award

Post by ei9hq »

is the wab award been updated it looks like it is still running the old system with counties

declan ei9hq
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: wab award

Post by G4POP »

Unless someone tells us the system has changed we don't know, so it probably is out of date
73 Terry G4POP
G4NVB
Advanced Class

Post by G4NVB »

G4POP wrote:Unless someone tells us the system has changed we don't know, so it probably is out of date
Details available here:-
http://wab.intermip.net/WAB%20Squares%20Award.php
73 de David G4NVB
OE6CLD
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by OE6CLD »

Hi Declan,

The WAB award in Log4OM only shows your worked/confirmed WAB squares, it does not analyze the squares for any specific WAB award like WAB Squares Award, Island Awards, Large Squares Award, or any of the timed award.

Can you please let me know what you think is wrong and I will have a look at it. I also have two WAB books (9475 and 19475). As soon as Log4OM will support membership lists I will provide all information for the WAB book holders award (I have Overseas Book Holders Award #0039).

Claus, EI7JZ/OE6CLD
Claus, OE6CLD/DJ0DX/EI7JZ
G4NVB
Advanced Class

Post by G4NVB »

EI7JZ wrote:Can you please let me know what you think is wrong and I will have a look at it.
Hello Claus,
In Log4om you have the WAB Area + County; the county part is no longer valid. See:-
http://wab.intermip.net/WAB%20Squares%20Award.php
All that is required is to strip the County part.
73 de David G4NVB
ei9hq
Novice Class

Post by ei9hq »

hi Claus

sorry for delay getting back to you remove the county part as Dave siad, also you will have to check to see if any squares are doubled up as if a part of a square was in a diffrent countys you could claim it for both not anymore hope this help.

ok on club lists a few programs have club list in them as they are spotted the program tells you sri for the trouble.

declan ei9hq
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Declan, David et Al,

I think you have an incorrect impression of the service we provide freely for Radio Amateurs

We provide and maintain the hard coded awards where the award organiser freely provides the complete information and data for the award structure and as in the case of IOTA and SOTA a method of automatically updating the award data by internet download. - These awards are as follows DXCC, IOTA, WAS, WAC, WAZ and SOTA

The 'Other awards', which include WAB, are user defined awards whereby you the user obtain the data and develop the award yourself, these awards can be shared with other users and some of them are included in our download of 'Other awards' by your request!

During the last couple of years our users have either provided a completed award to be added to the 'Others' list or they have provided the data lists and we have helped them construct the award.

On a couple of occasions, by request of a user, Claus has obtained a database for a requested award and constructed it for the user in question e.g. Canadian Provinces etc. and I have also constructed a couple for my own use initially like HUMPS & 60m Countries which have also been added to the 'Others' list.

We don't have the resources to edit a massive amount of data as in that required for the WAB award, and I would not expect Claus to devote many, many hours filtering and sorting of WAB squares data relevant to country boundaries.

If however you can obtain a database of WAB squares with their related country identifiers in csv or a similar data format from the WAB organisation then we will be pleased to provide what you request, we are not here to construct WAB lists from the ground up.

Now if Claus feels he wants to take on such a massive task its up to him but please do not 'Expect' it of him

The same rule applies to Call sign and club membership list's, its up to you to obtain the list including the relevant permissions to use and circulate the data in accordance with the Data Protection Act of any country that the data applies to and we may help or even construct the award for you.

However I cannot see us providing 'Membership list' support with the Data Protection act laws as they are at this time, we would leave ourselves wide open to prosecution. That said there is nothing to stop an individual user developing his own award related to club membership lists but please do not ask us to include such awards in the software.
73 Terry G4POP
G4NVB
Advanced Class

Post by G4NVB »

G4POP wrote:I think you have an incorrect impression of the service we provide freely for Radio Amateurs.
<snip>
If however you can obtain a database of WAB squares with their related country identifiers in csv or a similar data format from the WAB organisation then we will be pleased to provide what you request, we are not here to construct WAB lists from the ground up.
Hello Terry,
I am sorry if my comments have offended you, I was only trying to be helpful in replaying to Claus who asked "Can you please let me know what you think is wrong and I will have a look at it.". I believe you complied the WAB Data in the early days of Log4OM, all that is required is that the "County" part is now redundant and needs to be removed and any duplicate WAB Areas removed.I would have volunteered to do the job myself but Log4OM is currently not my Logbook of choice as I struggle with the Log4OM Font Size and am waiting to see what Ver 2 has to offer in this regard.
73 de David G4NVB
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

all that is required is that the "County" part is now redundant and needs to be removed and any duplicate WAB Areas removed
This in itself is not difficult, its the squares related to country borders that takes the time and effort!

Chuck and I developed the Canadian and US grid reference awards in HRD and it was a complete nightmare
73 Terry G4POP
gi0hwo
Novice Class

Post by gi0hwo »

As an aside.
Removing the "County part of the "Square" was a huge mistake in my opinion.
WAB is now like trainspotting i.e completely boring.
I don't bother with it nowadays.

73 de John