Winkeyer Serial/Paddle Echo Box

ik6qre
Novice Class

Winkeyer Serial/Paddle Echo Box

Post by ik6qre »

A greeting to those who read me and a more heartfelt one to those who will give me a hand by answering me.
Here I come to my little problem (hoping not already discussed... I searched with no succeded).

My CW is very rusty and I help myself with a small Winkeyer compatible interface to decode through the very comfortable window made for the purpose.
Once connected, the received text is decoded and appears in real time in the Serial/Paddle Echo box at the top.

As soon as there is a pause in reception of a certain time (it seems about 3 seconds), the text moves to the center in the large scrollable window (under the world map) and from there you can also delete and/or save it.

Here my problem: if the sender makes a long passage without stopping (those 3 seconds), it happens that once the first box (Serial/Paddle Echo) has been filled with the first 90/100 characters, the text remains blocked and does not scroll to the left so everything else received is lost.

Would it be possible to make sure that this text, that gradually fills the Serial Paddle/Echo box, can be manually sent to the window below as it already happens automatically after the famous 3 seconds pause?

I read the manual (no answer) and trying by pressing the various buttons here and there but I have not solved.

I don't know if this can be considered a feature suggestion or it is only a problem with my small Winkeyer (maybe not full compatible).

Thanks for your attention and
73 de Sergio
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Winkeyer Serial/Paddle Echo Box

Post by G4POP »

ik6qre wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 13:42 A greeting to those who read me and a more heartfelt one to those who will give me a hand by answering me.
Here I come to my little problem (hoping not already discussed... I searched with no succeded).

My CW is very rusty and I help myself with a small Winkeyer compatible interface to decode through the very comfortable window made for the purpose.
Once connected, the received text is decoded and appears in real time in the Serial/Paddle Echo box at the top.

As soon as there is a pause in reception of a certain time (it seems about 3 seconds), the text moves to the center in the large scrollable window (under the world map) and from there you can also delete and/or save it.

Here my problem: if the sender makes a long passage without stopping (those 3 seconds), it happens that once the first box (Serial/Paddle Echo) has been filled with the first 90/100 characters, the text remains blocked and does not scroll to the left so everything else received is lost.

Would it be possible to make sure that this text, that gradually fills the Serial Paddle/Echo box, can be manually sent to the window below as it already happens automatically after the famous 3 seconds pause?

I read the manual (no answer) and trying by pressing the various buttons here and there but I have not solved.

I don't know if this can be considered a feature suggestion or it is only a problem with my small Winkeyer (maybe not full compatible).

Thanks for your attention and
73 de Sergio
Are you sure your referring to Log4OM because Log4OM DOES NOT DECODE RECEIVED CW! it only transmits what you send from a macro or the key/paddle
73 Terry G4POP
ik6qre
Novice Class

Post by ik6qre »

Hi Terry and many thanks for your kind reply.
I made, during the Covid19-lockdown, a K3NG keyer with an Arduino Nano and its software can emulate the K1EL Winkeyer.
Now I succesfully connected it with Log4OM (v2.13 in these last days) and it is able to transmit, of course, but in my case also to receive.
The better explain my problem (stuck scroll of data in reception) I just made a video with my smartphone and published on Youtube but, I'm sorry, this evening the text never filled up the Serial/Paddle Echo box till the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N_WIfE ... rgioMenchi
Let me know what do you think about.
Thank you and 73.
de Sergio
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

This is a problem with your keyer/Nano the serial echo field is not designed for receiving and decoding CW only to repeat what you send from Log4OM.

The fact that the received code is being displayed indicates that you have some sort of loop back through the cat/data cable to the pc and that should not be happening.

Sorry I cant help you any further because its not a Log4OM issue
73 Terry G4POP
ik6qre
Novice Class

Post by ik6qre »

Yes,Terry.
I was pretty sure what I complained about was something that is not provided by Log4OM, the real time receiving and printing of the CW on screen.
In fact, at the end of my post, I expressed my doubts and today I would like to suggest you, at least, to add the scrolling of the text in the Serial/Paddle Echo box also because this one get stucks the same if the transmission go beyond the filling of the box (just like as I wrote about my problem in receiving)
Best 73
Stay safe
Sergio
ik6qre
Novice Class

Post by ik6qre »

Hi Terry.
I just installed the new 2.14.0.0
Many thanks for the new interface, now easier to understand.
About my issue, now finally by pressing the ESC key, the rx CW text that remained stuck in the SERIAL/PADDLE ECHO box, now immediately jumps to the CW History screen.
That solves my problem.
However, the issue remains the same if I'm transmittig; the echo that returns to the Serial/Paddle Echo, once the box is filled in, does not scroll (but can jumps into the History window hitting ESC).
Best 73
Sergio