Grid refs

HB9ETR
Advanced Class

Grid refs

Post by HB9ETR »

Hi,
Really pleased with the new version...definitely worth the wait....tnx to the team.

On importing my log (from v1), my grid references of new or newly editted QSOs now have the last two letters in lowercase. Is this the new format? Or, being a bit of a fuss pot for standardisation that I am, wonder if the full capitalisation of the grid ref will return.
I did try to edit the grid in the "edit QSO" option but it won't allow full capitalisation.

Minor issue but need to know whether I will be editing all my QSOs to maintain standardisation. :shock:
Rob
HB9ETR / G0IFL

K3/Win4K3Suite/OnmiRig/L4OM v2.31.0.0
Win10 i7-6700
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Grid refs

Post by KI5IO »

HB9ETR wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 17:46 Hi,
Really pleased with the new version...definitely worth the wait....tnx to the team.

On importing my log (from v1), my grid references of new or newly editted QSOs now have the last two letters in lowercase. Is this the new format? Or, being a bit of a fuss pot for standardisation that I am, wonder if the full capitalisation of the grid ref will return.
I did try to edit the grid in the "edit QSO" option but it won't allow full capitalisation.

Minor issue but need to know whether I will be editing all my QSOs to maintain standardisation. :shock:
Rob,

I can't give you a "precise" answer as to upper/lower case differences, but I see them either way.

They still work whether U-case of L-case.

I wouldn't have this one on my front burner for changing at all.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
vk1di
Advanced Class

Post by vk1di »

The lower casing of the last 2 characters of the grid square does produce warnings when downloading eQSLs due to mismatch with the upper case grid stored there.

eg from my eQSL download log

21:39:37: Updating JA2WXN|25/01/2020 7:32:00 AM|17m|FT8...
21:39:37: WARN: Saved locator PM84vr is different from EQSL reported locator PM84VR

Still just a warning but be nice to stop this.

73 Ian VK1DI
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

vk1di wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 21:45 The lower casing of the last 2 characters of the grid square does produce warnings when downloading eQSLs due to mismatch with the upper case grid stored there.

eg from my eQSL download log

21:39:37: Updating JA2WXN|25/01/2020 7:32:00 AM|17m|FT8...
21:39:37: WARN: Saved locator PM84vr is different from EQSL reported locator PM84VR

Still just a warning but be nice to stop this.

73 Ian VK1DI
Ian,

I've been doing more searching about the grid squares or Maidenhead locator. I still have not found anything that specifies whether the last two characters be upper or lower case.

Like you I also get the warning from eQSL downloads.

I've look at many sites and have turned on a number of logging programs I have on my laptop and there is no rhyme nor reason as to U-case or L-case.

I would suggest that maybe the eQSL programmers should modify their code to accept "either" U-case or L-case for the last two characters in a grid square notation.

Unless they have some definitive document/rule that says U-case is required.

For sure ... it is all a learning curve.

Here is a link to a locator map and they show all L-case for the 5th & 6th characters.

https://www.karhukoti.com/Maidenhead-Gr ... re-Locator

Thanks for using Log4OM2.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
vk1di
Advanced Class

Post by vk1di »

Thanks Nolan,

Yes there does not seem to be any particular convention that grid squares have the 5th and 6th references lower case. In fact looking at other eQSL mismatches some just use 4 characters, others have all characters lower case or all upper case, there seems to be no real rule of case used...

As a programmer I would use LCASE or UCASE to force all characters to the same case in the code then compare the Log4OM and eQSL grids to see if they match. Something to consider in a future release.

Ian VK1DI