Amalgamating two databases

g3ziy
Advanced Class

Amalgamating two databases

Post by g3ziy »

I remotely run my rig from two locations over the internet. At each location I have a copy of Log4OM v2 installed. They have two sets of logging data. Is there a way of using just one database so that whichever computer I use I see my complete logging history? I would only ever use one computer or the other; never both at the same time. I thought maybe by saving my database on Dropbox might be a solution, but how to do it?
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Amalgamating two databases

Post by KD0ZV »

Yes, use some sort of cloud database. Like onedrive. I dont run multiple locations but I do keep my database in the cloud for backup reasons.

Rich
kd0zv
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

RichardCSD wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 11:41 I remotely run my rig from two locations over the internet. At each location I have a copy of Log4OM v2 installed. They have two sets of logging data. Is there a way of using just one database so that whichever computer I use I see my complete logging history? I would only ever use one computer or the other; never both at the same time. I thought maybe by saving my database on Dropbox might be a solution, but how to do it?
Richard,

This is discussed in the User Guide on Page 15 under a heading of: Cloud storage of databases

Dropbox is an excellent choice. I use that myself.

Be sure to download the most current version/release of the User Guide. Terry updated it late yesterday (March 2, 2020).
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KD0ZV »

KI5IO wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 12:30 Be sure to download the most current version/release of the User Guide. Terry updated it late yesterday (March 2, 2020).
It would be nice if we could get an alert like we do for new version, etc., when Terry uploads a new manual :)

Rich
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

kd0zv wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 13:00
KI5IO wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 12:30 Be sure to download the most current version/release of the User Guide. Terry updated it late yesterday (March 2, 2020).
It would be nice if we could get an alert like we do for new version, etc., when Terry uploads a new manual :)

Rich
Rich,

Terry has been like a machine with updates with so many items underway. He did two yesterday. I save them now with "date & time" as I've seen 2-3 in some days.

However ... I'll toss your comment into the mix for consideration.
Plano, TX
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KD0ZV »

I am sure its not easy and might not make sense for the frequency of updates he is doing right now. I certainly would not want the task :)

I also wish I knew what was being changed because I would be diligent about reading it. As it stands I don't feel like reading 160 pages over and over looking for something new.

Terry if you find your way here we certainly appreciate your efforts!!

Rich
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

I've read it several times (whew) and use the "find" tool extensively. After a while I have a page for an item memorized, but that shifts with updates.

I'll have to say (even with V1) I've not quite experienced such a detailed User Guide as what Terry produces. That and his YouTube videos that he keeps adding now for V2 as well.
Plano, TX