What is mapping of "Note" field from Log4OM to SOTA ADIF?

KJ7EHA
Novice Class

What is mapping of "Note" field from Log4OM to SOTA ADIF?

Post by KJ7EHA »

I just successfully posted my first SOTA activation using an ADIF export from Log4OM. I discovered two things:

1) Log4OM may not sort the exported ADIF entries by activation times, which will cause the upload to fail, so you have to manually adjust the entries in the ADIF file to be in sorted order by activation time.
2) I used the "Note" field on the Log4OM QSO entry field and thought that would map to the "Notes" field in the SOTA DB, but the SOTA DB shows all my notes as blank.

What is the Log4OM field I should use if I want to populate the "Notes" field in SOTA DB?

Greg - KJ7EHA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: What is mapping of "Note" field from Log4OM to SOTA ADIF?

Post by G4POP »

I believe that the SOTA 'Notes' field uses information contained in the ADIF 'comments' field
73 Terry G4POP
KJ7EHA
Novice Class

Post by KJ7EHA »

That's interesting, I don't have a long history with Log4OM. What is the intended difference and usage of "Comment" vs. "Note" in Log4OM?

It looked to me that Comment was a configurable, repeatable pull down used for quickly adding in the same text item for contesting and Notes was cleared-every-time "blank slate" for text items that applied to every new QSO.

It seems to me that Note in Log4OM should map to Notes in SOTA. Is there an ADIF limitation or other design requirement that led to the design choice of comment mapping to Note in SOTA?

Greg
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

KJ7EHA wrote: 11 Mar 2020, 03:31 That's interesting, I don't have a long history with Log4OM. What is the intended difference and usage of "Comment" vs. "Note" in Log4OM?

It looked to me that Comment was a configurable, repeatable pull down used for quickly adding in the same text item for contesting and Notes was cleared-every-time "blank slate" for text items that applied to every new QSO.

It seems to me that Note in Log4OM should map to Notes in SOTA. Is there an ADIF limitation or other design requirement that led to the design choice of comment mapping to Note in SOTA?

Greg
See https://www.adif.org/310/ADIF_310.htm#QSO_Fields for a full description of each field

The SOTA download file shows a 'Comments' field not notes

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (30.96 KiB) Viewed 4845 times
73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

KJ7EHA wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 04:17
1) Log4OM may not sort the exported ADIF entries by activation times, which will cause the upload to fail, so you have to manually adjust the entries in the ADIF file to be in sorted order by activation time
It does sort in time/date order in a CSV file see export below, in an ADIF file the order should not matter.

2) I used the "Note" field on the Log4OM QSO entry field and thought that would map to the "Notes" field in the SOTA DB, but the SOTA DB shows all my notes as blank.

What is the Log4OM field I should use if I want to populate the "Notes" field in SOTA DB?

Having checked I find the 'Comments' filed in Log4OM correctly logs to the 'Comments' field in SOTA and as mentioned in my other post today a SOTA download contains a 'Comments' field

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (37.6 KiB) Viewed 4843 times
It seems that you will need to make your observations to the 'Comments' field

My understanding of these fields is as follows

Comments are for observations to be passed to the other station whereas 'Notes' are your own private comments

EG

Comment: Nice QSO TU Happy Christmas

Note: This guy must be sending CW with his left foot
73 Terry G4POP
KJ7EHA
Novice Class

Post by KJ7EHA »

My nugget of learning for the day! I now understand the difference between "comment" and "note!" thank you!
Loved your examples too. LOL.

Greg - KJ7EHA
HB9BRJ
Old Man

Post by HB9BRJ »

KJ7EHA wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 04:17 Log4OM may not sort the exported ADIF entries by activation times, which will cause the upload to fail, so you have to manually adjust the entries in the ADIF file to be in sorted order by activation time.
This week I did 2 activations and had no problem with ADIF uploads: Open QSO manager, sort descending on date/time, select the QSOs of your activation and export them to ADIF.

73, Markus HB9BRJ