Find or Search Tool

ah6fx
Advanced Class

Find or Search Tool

Post by ah6fx »

Terry,

I am hoping for a way to search for text or a word within the comments or notes form-fields. Of course good ole DOS cntl-F does not work. Read user's manual, explored "filters", and used various Log4OMver2 utilities. I can search for almost everything but text.

Besides downloading my log as csv or other file and then searching ... is there a way to "word search" or make comment and notes searchable?

I understand if this is not a greatly in demand or needed feature and not worthy as a tool ... I occasionally have the desire to find stuff within my previous QSO loggings.

Thanks.

Danny
AH6FX/W4
HB9BRJ
Old Man

Re: Find or Search Tool

Post by HB9BRJ »

Danny,

Let's find all QSOs where the comment field contains "keyword":
Utilities | QSO Manager | Filters | Use Params | Comment LIKE keyword |
Add parameter by clicking the "+" button.

Query will be translated to: log.comment like %keyword%
% is the SQL wildcard for zero or more characters, like * in Windows.
Close Filters window, which will refresh the QSO list.

73, Markus HB9BRJ
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Support from Users to Users, simply great .... 8-)
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Danny,
Mostly its best to tell us what you want to search for and/or why!

However there are plenty of opportunities to search the 'Comments' and any other field by using the filters available on most grid views, as an example I just filtered the log 'Comments' field looking for the word UPLOAD, see results below.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (99.33 KiB) Viewed 2070 times
73 Terry G4POP
ah6fx
Advanced Class

Post by ah6fx »

Terry,

Thanks for the "hot tip." Your method worked for me ok.

Answering your question ... Mostly its best to tell us what you want to search for and/or why! ... sometimes I want to search certain words that I would record in either comments or notes. For example - since I have keen interest in loop antennas ... so I may want to search"loop" for some reason ... or an Austrian friend and I like the same restaurant in Honolulu but I can not think of its name so I would enter "breakfast" because I recall recording comments about favorite breakfast restaurants. Etc.

Note: Before posting this question to the forum, I did read about the use of filters in the user's guide. But applying that process to my issue did not jump off the page for me. The example looked like a way to find certain DXCC entities worked on certain modes, etc. [[[I must admit when "experimenting" with the filter tool, I did select the Comment data element -- left Equal as is -- and entered "loop." Then I could not figure out how to execute the command so I got nothing.]]] Perhaps in the next user's guide update, maybe expand filter use to include another example for finding "keywords" in the comment or notes data fields would be useful. Also maybe you could work it into a future Log4OMv2 how-to video. [[[Terry - here is an innovative thot --- in the next user's guide update; where appropriate, hyperlink a topic heading in the user's guide to link to a YouTube video. Just a thought.]]]

Having said all of that, I realize the search or find feature is perhaps not in hot demand so little future effort is warranted.

Thanks again for the fantastic and helpful response.

Have a good day.

Danny
AH6FX/W4