CAT control lose after long Idle

W2MJP
Old Man

CAT control lose after long Idle

Post by W2MJP »

Does any one leave there computer on for a long period of time with log4om V2 running and come back after a long period of time and lose CAT control? I lose the cluster and CAT control. I can have restart the cluster but, the CAT control will not connect. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting with no luck. I have to restart Log4OM V2. Any ideas? I use Omnirig and have 2 radios with it. It happens with both rigs. Ic 7610 and Ic 7300.
Mike-W2MJP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: CAT control lose after long Idle

Post by G4POP »

Your com port is going to sleep due to power saver
73 Terry G4POP
W2MJP
Old Man

Post by W2MJP »

G4POP wrote: 23 Apr 2020, 20:52 Your com port is going to sleep due to power saver
Man Terry you are always on top of things :D . Ok so my next question is how do I fix this? Do I turn of the sleep mode/power saver mode in my computer settings?
Mike-W2MJP
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

W2MJP wrote: 23 Apr 2020, 20:56
G4POP wrote: 23 Apr 2020, 20:52 Your com port is going to sleep due to power saver
Man Terry you are always on top of things :D . Ok so my next question is how do I fix this? Do I turn of the sleep mode/power saver mode in my computer settings?
Mike,

FWIW ... I choose to NOT use any sleep, hibernate, relax, give me a shoulder rub or any such so-called feature in the Windows environment. What sucks is that even if I have such elements turned off when MS happens to load a new cumulative update they will likely change it. Like they always put my USB port to my K3 to sleep or where it is not recognized anymore. I have to unplug/replug that USB cable every time MS bumps me with an update.

So ... I'm consuming KWs from the coal-fired power plants to keep my lowly Dell D830 laptop (now over 20 years old) running 24x7. The local energy utility has not yet slapped by wrist.

Now using whatever power/sleep level you want is up to you and that is within the Windows system. You can pick/choose how you want to configure the overeall coverage of that for you PC.

If you then select Device Manager from within the Control Panel you can drill down to the port and usb devices and look at properties of each one and turn off anything/everything that suggestes letting Windows put the device or port to sleep or hibernate, etc..

That at least gives you a foot in the door to try and keep the ports alive (not sleeping). Just never assume that what you do will "always" prevent MS from messing with you and your software, ports, etc..
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
W2MJP
Old Man

Post by W2MJP »

KI5IO wrote: 23 Apr 2020, 21:15
W2MJP wrote: 23 Apr 2020, 20:56
Mike,

FWIW ... I choose to NOT use any sleep, hibernate, relax, give me a shoulder rub or any such so-called feature in the Windows environment. What sucks is that even if I have such elements turned off when MS happens to load a new cumulative update they will likely change it. Like they always put my USB port to my K3 to sleep or where it is not recognized anymore. I have to unplug/replug that USB cable every time MS bumps me with an update.

So ... I'm consuming KWs from the coal-fired power plants to keep my lowly Dell D830 laptop (now over 20 years old) running 24x7. The local energy utility has not yet slapped by wrist.

Now using whatever power/sleep level you want is up to you and that is within the Windows system. You can pick/choose how you want to configure the overeall coverage of that for you PC.

If you then select Device Manager from within the Control Panel you can drill down to the port and usb devices and look at properties of each one and turn off anything/everything that suggestes letting Windows put the device or port to sleep or hibernate, etc..

That at least gives you a foot in the door to try and keep the ports alive (not sleeping). Just never assume that what you do will "always" prevent MS from messing with you and your software, ports, etc..
Hi Nolan
Thanks for all of that great info. You are as good as Terry with your answers/replies. I always learn new things using this forum and getting answers. I have a Dell update pending and I keep putting it off because of the same reason you said. When ever I do the MS or Dell updates something gets screwed up usually on WSJT or CW skimmer. I usually have to figure it out. At least I will know were to look after each MS update. Thanks so much I ll try shutting some stuff off in the Manager settings. Its not a major big deal just a annoying one having to restart the program all of the time.
Mike-W2MJP
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Mike,

Another item is that MS loves to mess with audio levels and audio port assignments which plays serious "heck" with audio feeds from your PC to the rig for the digital modes.

Always when you least expect it.

BTW - tnx for the kudos, but Terry and Daniele are the best and they know virtually every nook/cranny of Log4OM V1 and V2.

The rest of us on the Alpha team each have our focus, but we all do the best we can to help everyone out.

My fallback (as you have likely seen) is check to make sure you have the "current" User Guide and look there first. Terry is always updating it.
Plano, TX
W2MJP
Old Man

Post by W2MJP »

No problem Nolan. Yes the Alpha team is excellent. Hence the reason I use Log4om. V1 was great and I am liking V2 more and more. I have experienced the audio swap many times with MS. I come to get use to it every time I do a update I have to check the Mic settings. Stay safe.
Mike-W2MJP
W2MJP
Old Man

Post by W2MJP »

KI5IO wrote: 23 Apr 2020, 21:55 Mike,

Another item is that MS loves to mess with audio levels and audio port assignments which plays serious "heck" with audio feeds from your PC to the rig for the digital modes.

BTW - tnx for the kudos, but Terry and Daniele are the best and they know virtually every nook/cranny of Log4OM V1 and V2.

The rest of us on the Alpha team each have our focus, but we all do the best we can to help everyone out.

My fallback (as you have likely seen) is check to make sure you have the "current" User Guide and look there first. Terry is always updating it.
After going into my device manager I have noticed that I have already choose not to use sleep mode. My screen saver does still come on. Is there something else I have to turn off in regards to losing the CAT. I think Terry mentioned the port is going to sleep.
Mike-W2MJP
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

W2MJP wrote: 25 Apr 2020, 10:57
KI5IO wrote: 23 Apr 2020, 21:55 Mike,

After going into my device manager I have noticed that I have already choose not to use sleep mode. My screen saver does still come on. Is there something else I have to turn off in regards to losing the CAT. I think Terry mentioned the port is going to sleep.
Mike,

I noted above that you can also use the MS Device Manager and ID the USB ports utilitzed and look at each of those ports' properties. You can adjust sleep/hibernated controls for each port there as well.

Here is a screen clip from Device Manager for a representative USB device..
Attachments
USB-DeviceMngr-PwrOptions.JPG
USB-DeviceMngr-PwrOptions.JPG (34.72 KiB) Viewed 2945 times
Plano, TX