Log4OM2 and WSJT connection issues

W2UH
Novice Class

Log4OM2 and WSJT connection issues

Post by W2UH »

I have been using Log4OM2 for a few days and have read the instruction manual but I find it very confusing. When I start Log4OM it drops the connection to WSJT. I have followed the instructions and also installed the Virtual Serial Port Emulator and did the splitter thing. Moved everything to the new com port 1 in this case (was com 4). Still cant get both to connect. I am using an IC-7410 which is similar to the 7300.

Can someone tell me what this means? - copied from the instruction manual....
CAT control with WSJT programs
When using WSJT and associated variants in all cases CAT control is via OMNIRIG, the appropriate radio (Rig1 or Rig2) must be selected in the WSJT software and the Log4OM program – DO NOT SELECT THE RADIO BY NAME

I guess associated variants means "other software" but the part that confuses me the most is the part about selecting the appropriate radio. If I cant choose the radio by name how do I select the appropriate radio?

Does anyone else have this issue? I cant get it to work properly. My email address is w2uh@outlook. com Thanks for the help.

W2UH, Hiram
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Log4OM2 and WSJT connection issues

Post by KI5IO »

W2UH wrote: 29 May 2020, 18:09 I have been using Log4OM2 for a few days and have read the instruction manual but I find it very confusing. When I start Log4OM it drops the connection to WSJT. I have followed the instructions and also installed the Virtual Serial Port Emulator and did the splitter thing. Moved everything to the new com port 1 in this case (was com 4). Still cant get both to connect. I am using an IC-7410 which is similar to the 7300.

Can someone tell me what this means? - copied from the instruction manual....
CAT control with WSJT programs
When using WSJT and associated variants in all cases CAT control is via OMNIRIG, the appropriate radio (Rig1 or Rig2) must be selected in the WSJT software and the Log4OM program – DO NOT SELECT THE RADIO BY NAME

I guess associated variants means "other software" but the part that confuses me the most is the part about selecting the appropriate radio. If I cant choose the radio by name how do I select the appropriate radio?

Does anyone else have this issue? I cant get it to work properly. My email address is w2uh@outlook. com Thanks for the help.

W2UH, Hiram
Hiram,

Welcome to Log4OM V2. I'm going to assume that you indeed have downloaded and installed the current release of V2 and that you have also forced a download of the CURRENT User Guider. Be sure to read the FAQ I posted about keeping up with the User Guide as there are always updates and new releases of the UG. User Guide FAQ link: https://forum.log4om.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=5117

Pls advise which version of Log4OM V2 that you have installed.

Pls confirm that with just Log4OM V2 running and your radio on that you have CAT control (via OmniRig) between V2 and your rig. I will assume that you have your rig selected as Rig 1 in OmniRig.

Are you running OmniRig and V2 with "administrative" privileges? Especially OmniRig as it "has" to be run with administrative privileges to do what is called multi-threading (IE: shared control by multiple APPs).

Now shut down V2 and turn on WSJTx. Go to File / Settings / Radio ... Once there on the Rig Dropdown select: OmniRig Rig 1 and click OK.

This is what our User Guide is referring to when it comes to rig selection. You do NOT select your rig name in this dropdown. OmniRig has already done that and now you are telling WSJTx to point to OmniRig to let that APP control the to/fro communications to your rig.

Give that a try and I'm sure if you will again look at the detailed User Guide for the setup this will now become a tad more clear to you.

In my QTH I do not run the APPs with admin privileges as I let WSJTx communicate with OmniRig to talk to my K3. I don't have a need to have V2 "also" do CAT control with my K3. I rely on the UDP connections to feed the necessary data from WSJTx to V2.

It can work either way, but (for some installations) it is less problematic to have the APPs run with admin privileges.

Give the above suggestions a go and advise.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
W2UH
Novice Class

Post by W2UH »

I found the OmniRig 1 in the radio drop down. In other words the radio's name is now OmniRig 1 beacause 'Rig 1' is is the OmniRig tab setting. It worked. I didn't know the name I should be looking for was OmniRig 1. Thanks so much

W2UH, Hiram.
W2UH
Novice Class

Post by W2UH »

In answer to your questions:
It is connected, I do have OmniRig Version 1.19 installed. I have both rig 1 and rig 2 set exactly the same way to IC-7410

I am using Log4OM2 Version 2.6.1.0

I just did select OmniRig 1 - it fixed the connection problem with WSJT

Now I have a new issue. When I select a station to work in WSJT it enables the radio to TX but it switches the radio to RTTY R mode When it stops transmitting it stays in RTTY R mode. How do I get it to stay in USB D mode?

I really like this software. Blows away HRD which mine expires next month. Just trying to make it work has been a chore for me. Thanks
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

W2UH wrote: 29 May 2020, 20:26 In answer to your questions:
It is connected, I do have OmniRig Version 1.19 installed. I have both rig 1 and rig 2 set exactly the same way to IC-7410

I am using Log4OM2 Version 2.6.1.0

I just did select OmniRig 1 - it fixed the connection problem with WSJT

Now I have a new issue. When I select a station to work in WSJT it enables the radio to TX but it switches the radio to RTTY R mode When it stops transmitting it stays in RTTY R mode. How do I get it to stay in USB D mode?

I really like this software. Blows away HRD which mine expires next month. Just trying to make it work has been a chore for me. Thanks
I just answered your question in your duplicate post
73 Terry G4POP