Dymo Labelwriter 450?

W4ATX
Novice Class

Dymo Labelwriter 450?

Post by W4ATX »

I've read through most everything I could find in the forum searching on "Dymo" and "label print", etc. but have not come up with what I think is a definitive answer. Many of the posts appear to be rather old pertaining to older versions of LOG4OM.

Anyway...I'm wondering if anybody has had success in using the Dymo Labelwriter 450 roll printer for mailing and QSO labels? Any tips appreciated. I've not purchased the printer yet...wanted to hold off until I get (hopefully) a positive note here!

(I saw where the Brother QL-570 was mentioned...but that's a bit pricey for what I want to do...)
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Dymo Labelwriter 450?

Post by KI5IO »

W4ATX wrote: 31 May 2020, 19:07 I've read through most everything I could find in the forum searching on "Dymo" and "label print", etc. but have not come up with what I think is a definitive answer. Many of the posts appear to be rather old pertaining to older versions of LOG4OM.

Anyway...I'm wondering if anybody has had success in using the Dymo Labelwriter 450 roll printer for mailing and QSO labels? Any tips appreciated. I've not purchased the printer yet...wanted to hold off until I get (hopefully) a positive note here!

(I saw where the Brother QL-570 was mentioned...but that's a bit pricey for what I want to do...)
Richard,

Get information on the label size, etc.. and use the Label Definition routine in V2 to get margins, etc. squared away. I'm sure they will be a variation of sorts from the Brother label definition. Be sure to "save" your adjusted template. I name my modified templates as: user_ki5io_Avery 8160 .... Have the "user" name saves it from being over-written with updates to V2.

All your tests will create a PDF file/page and your preferred PDF viewer will open so you can see your results. You can also print them.

As for driving the printer ... it is no different than any other printing device that connects to a PC and shows up as a "Windows" printer. Once you have the driver installed for the printing device when you select print and then get to choose which device you want to send that page or pages to.

Thus ... printing is far more versatile with such usage of the Windows O/S.

I would set up my device margins, print a test page and overlay that on my sheet of templates. In my case I use the Avery 8160 template/layout, but had to tweak the margins, spacing, etc., to make the layout fit with my particular printer. No two printers are alike in that regard.

When you are ready to print labels, QSLs ... you go through the routine (and you can test such as well) and your 'ready to print' QSLs and/or mailing labels show up in a PDF view and you can then print them from that PDF view.

Make sure you have forced a download of the "current" User Guide and search that PDF for the section on label definition and printing. Terry has a pretty good bit of information there about such.

Good luck.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX