Band/cluster map slow to respond to VFO changes

G0CNN
Advanced Class

Band/cluster map slow to respond to VFO changes

Post by G0CNN »

Hi, Since upgrading to LOG4OM2 v2.7.0.0 the band/cluster map (both the default window on the right-hand side of the main screen, plus the band map selection from the shortcut at the top of the screen) is very slow to react to VFO changes, taking 30+ seconds for the blue pointer to move. The VFO display at the top of the LOG4OM2 screen keeps up with the rig ok. The previous version of LOG4OM2 was fine and the blue pointer kept up with rig VFO changes. I have been using Omni-Rig v1.19 since December 2018 when I first installed LOG4OM. No other applications are running on the computer and it has enough resources.

LOG4OM2 also takes much longer to open and close than the original LOG4OM and my original two-rig CAT issue has returned, which I fixed in LOG4OM (not switching between two rigs) - I'll search/post separately for these.

Thanks for any help.

Ian.
va3vf
Advanced Class

Re: Band/cluster map slow to respond to VFO changes

Post by va3vf »

I noticed that as well. Not sure if it's the correct solution or just a coincidence, but in my case the problem was mitigated by reducing the Poll int and Timeout settings in Omni-Rig. It's now set to 100 and 2000 respectively.

Again, no idea if it 'computes', but the issue has not returned since making the above changes.
G0CNN
Advanced Class

Post by G0CNN »

Thanks for the suggestion. Will give it a try. Strangely though the on-screen VFO tracks fine in real-time....
G0CNN
Advanced Class

Post by G0CNN »

Nope. Didn't work for me unfortunately... :(
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

OMs,

(just a consideration) ... Take a look at your Configuration / Cluster and the settings for cluster age, items and band map age, items.

I'm just taking a stab here as I'm not experiencing any slow-down with the link to my K3 which is via USB. My polling is at 500ms and timeout is at 4000ms. 38400 baud rate.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
va3vf
Advanced Class

Post by va3vf »

G0CNN wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 20:06 Thanks for the suggestion. Will give it a try. Strangely though the on-screen VFO tracks fine in real-time....
I misunderstood the problem, sorry. In my case the VFO was not tracking in real-time.

As for the cluster, if this is happening for FT8, I 'reported' something similar months ago. My 'conclusion' back then was that Log4OM cannot keep up with the sheer number of FT8 spots. My 'solution' was to filter to the max at the cluster level, I use VE7CC.
G0CNN
Advanced Class

Post by G0CNN »

Thanks all for the suggestions so far. Like I say, it was this latest update in v2 which caused the slow cluster tracking issue. The slow load/close and CAT niggle has been there since I migrated to v2 from a "no problem" v1. I might see if I can reverse the upgrade and revert back to whatever was prior to 2.7.0.0 :roll:

ps. Only using SSB.
G0CNN
Advanced Class

Post by G0CNN »

Slow cluster map fixed in 2.8.0.0 :D
Will keep investigating the other two matters.

Software authors please note, my Norton Antivirus Firewall is saying Log4OM2 does not have a valid digital signature....