Setting up SO2R

W3LI
Old Man

Setting up SO2R

Post by W3LI »

I have been through the manual looking for more information on setting up SO2R logging. I am currently back at pages 19, 20, 21 using this information.
I have one radio selected on the OmniRig interface and everything works as it should. Full Cat control and logging. I never see the two frequencies displayed as they are on page 21, CAT Screen or as SO2R and dual radios. However, I can select Rig1 Or Rig 2 by using the up/down arrows as indicated in the RED BOX on the tool bar. By doing this I can log from either Rig.
I would guess that the problem is not setting up OmniRig correctly. Since both rigs are the same the the information on the Interface is the same for Rig 1 and Rig 2. When i set up Rig 2 the com port change from 8 to 6. this did not change the display. The other item is the Rig type. The only thing listed fro my radio is SDR. My radio uses SmartSDR (SSDR) , could that make a difference?
The radio is a FLEX 6400 series and is capable of SO2R. BTW all 6000 series Flex Radios use SSDR not Power SDR. Really learning a lot about Log4 and more about my radio as I attempt to solve this on my own.
Your help would be appreciated.
Andy... W3LI
AE6DS
Advanced Class

Re: Setting up SO2R

Post by AE6DS »

Hi Andy,

With flex you will not see the two frequencies when using OmniRig and Log4OM unless you use another OmniRig program to set split mode. Depending on what you are trying to accomplish you probably don’t want that anyway...

The second frequency is a sub receiver when working split. You can set a second slice receiver on the Flex as “Split” but OmniRig only recognizes it if the split command was issued through OmniRig. Log4OM does not have a rig control function to trigger split, so the easiest way to do so is use the OmniRig Client test program to trigger it. You will then get main and sub reciever control and display through a single cat serial connection. But you might not want this because you’re giving up a lot of flexibility.

For my Flex 6600 I dropped OmniRig and use the CAT follows TX function of SliceMaster. That causes Log4OM to cat to read and control whichever slice is currently flagged TX in SmartSDR. So all the Log4OM features including winkeyer work as expected with the TX flagged slice, and the other slices work as expected with skimmers, digi programs, etc. I routinely monitor CW, PSK, and WSJT at the same time and still have a slice left to hunt with. When I designate a different slice as TX in SmarSDR, things just work in Log4OM (winkeyer talks to the right slice, frequency and spots work, etc). No extra mouse clicks.

Final note: your 6400 does support SO2R/SO2V, but with a has a single SCU so won’t support FDX operation. (You likely know that but wanted to confirm you were not expecting full duplex RX/TX).

Dale
W3LI
Old Man

Post by W3LI »

Good morning Dale, Thank you for the information. I kinda figured that I would have to use a 3rd party program to make it work. Other than Log4, I have no other 3rd party programs in use.
I am very simple here in that I have HF frequencies on slice 1 and 6M on slice 2. Both are displayed on the page ok, so It just takes an extra click or 2 to switch from one to the other.
Not interested in FDX so that is no issue.
Tnx for your time and I will print out your comment for future reference.
Andy...W3LI
AE6DS
Advanced Class

Post by AE6DS »

If you just want to map slice A to radio 1 and B to radio 2 in OmniRig that will work without extra software and is how I operated with Log4OM initially. Whether it meets your needs will depend on which modes you work — for example the flex winkeyer works great with Log4OM but targets the TX slice, which might not be the selected Log4OM slice.

So it’s personal preference. That said, SliceMaster is great and can automate a lot of things in ways that compliment Log4OM.

Dale
W3LI
Old Man

Post by W3LI »

Hi again Dale, Tnx for the info on using things like Slice Master and win Keyer. I break out in a cold sweat just thinking about using them. I see from your bio that you are a computer person and feel very comfortable working in the system. I on the other hand am not an IT person, guru, or even a geek.
Best I stay with what I have got. Maybe some day the gang at Log4 and the folks from Flex will Marry the two so as to work with out other programs involved.
Again, Thank You for your time.
Stay safe and Healthy.
Andy...W3LI