Connecting a Laptop to my Server

k3whd
Novice Class

Connecting a Laptop to my Server

Post by k3whd »

Hello and thanks for the add. I have Log4om2 on my desktop and set up a server database, Imported all myQSO's no problem. Shows all my correctly.
log4om2.jpg
log4om2.jpg (212.04 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
I am not sure how to connect my laptop running a different radio to use the same database. I have the folder on my desktop shared and the laptop has a network connection to that folder of Mysql. I tried in Log4om, in the database to connect to ip address of desktop, but I get a connection error. Are there any notes on how to do this.

Thanks 73
Dave ~K3WHD
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Connecting a Laptop to my Server

Post by KI5IO »

k3whd wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 16:59 Hello and thanks for the add. I have Log4om2 on my desktop and set up a server database, Imported all myQSO's no problem. Shows all my correctly. log4om2.jpg I am not sure how to connect my laptop running a different radio to use the same database. I have the folder on my desktop shared and the laptop has a network connection to that folder of Mysql. I tried in Log4om, in the database to connect to ip address of desktop, but I get a connection error. Are there any notes on how to do this.

Thanks 73
Dave ~K3WHD
Dave,

Download the CURRENT User Guide ... Dated: 23/08/2020 8:26AM

Go to Page 16 and start reading. Not sure you need to use MySQL as there is information about cloud storage there as well that might better suit your needs, but that will be best determined by you.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
k3whd
Novice Class

Post by k3whd »

Log4om only gives you MySQl or SQL lite to use, that I know of.
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

k3whd wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 18:44 Log4om only gives you MySQl or SQL lite to use, that I know of.
Dave,

So ... you not wanting to use the two options provided in Log4OM V2?

The MySQL d/b is typically only used in contesting situations where there are multiple OMs accessing that d/b during an event all at the same time.

The majority of OMs use SQLite.

If you do some searches on this forum you will find threads where other OMs have set up multiple PCs accessing their single SQLite d/b.

However ... if you don't want to use either of those two options for a d/b then you will be out of luck in using Log4OM V2 or even Log4OM V1.
Plano, TX
k3whd
Novice Class

Post by k3whd »

ok, thanks for the info.

Stay safe 73!

Dave ~ K3WHD
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

k3whd wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 23:20 ok, thanks for the info.

Stay safe 73!

Dave ~ K3WHD
Dave,

I was just again looking at your original question and also Page 17 of the "current" UG. Seems like the information under the section of "Cloud Storage of Databases" might be the answer for your post.

Terry may also add some input when he gets a chance to read this as he has worked with many other OMs who have had multiple PCs connecting to their one/main Log4OM V2 database.

Here is a link to another OM's post that is somewhat similar to your question.

https://forum.log4om.com/viewtopic.php? ... ite#p28915
Plano, TX
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Just remember that if your going to use a shared 'Cloud' storage you must have the storage software on all computers (Google drive, Dropbox etc)
73 Terry G4POP