I lost my Log4om V2 setup

KF6LU
Novice Class

I lost my Log4om V2 setup

Post by KF6LU »

All was working fine earlier today. After a computer restart I have now completely lost prior setup for the program. When I now start log4omV2 I get the startup screens and nothing is filled in. How can I restore my previous setup??
I shut down my programs as before and can not figure what happened. I'm running a Windows 10 64 ver Lenovo Thinkpad. I was also using WSJT-X v2.2.2 and JTalert V2.16.16.
Any help appreciated. i don't believe I erased any files. I see my SQlite file is still there.
I really am a novice with working with the computer and hope this can be resolved.
73 de Andrew , KF6LU
KF6LU
Novice Class

Re: I lost my Log4om V2 setup

Post by KF6LU »

Finally got into the user manual and have been following the directions on page 214. I copy the latest backup and follow the directions but have not had success in getting the configuration to run. I've been copying the json file from the backup file listed as timed for earlier today when all was running well. Do I have to only use the file from the "historic" folder?
73 de Andrew , KF6LU
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Use one of the most recent but make sure you copy it to the user folder because there are 2 config files
73 Terry G4POP
KF6LU
Novice Class

Post by KF6LU »

Thanks Terry for getting back to me.
I copied the last backup file from the Backup location and moved it to the User folder. Deleted the old file and renamed the copied file to config.json as on page 214. The moved file is listed as 26kb.

I closed the file program and then restarted log4omV2. Again the program starts as a new file with no information.
Going back into the file manager I bring up the User folder and see the "new" config.json file is only listed as being 10kb now instead of 26kb that I moved.
Don't understand why the "new" file only comes up as a 10kb file and not 26kb that I moved?

I see there is also a file in this User folder named last_valid_config.json. This file has the same date, time and size as the file I moved.
I haven't tried it but what if I just change that last_valid_config.json to the config.json? Is this the second file you mentioned in your reply?
73 de Andrew , KF6LU
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Dont forget that every time you open and close the program a new backup is made so some of the recent ones could be empty, try using the historic backup file but save a copy of it somewhere else before you use it
73 Terry G4POP
KF6LU
Novice Class

Post by KF6LU »

Well, tried using file from the backup file. Still no luck at all.
I did notice that when I enter the older .json programs into the User folder it is listed as a 26kb file. After I try running Log4omv2, again without success, I go into the folder and now the config.json is only listed as a 10kb file. What is changing the size??

Looks like I'm heading to a complete reinstallation at this point. Thankfully I also use QRZ and have all my contacts there.
Would saving an adi backup file to say the desktop help with reinstallation?

Will using the uninstall from the start menu completely remove the program? Are there any files that I should be aware of that are not removed by using the uninstall.. I did notice that in the Roaming folder there is a folder listed as log40m. Is this a leftover from having Ver 1 previously installed?

Appreciate your help in this problem. Can't see where I might have not followed the directions from the User Manual or yours.

Any idea what might have caused this problem. As I said before, I've been using Log4OM v 2 for months with WSJT-X and JTAlert very successfully. Just did a shutdown and then the problem appeared. No win10 updates at the time, etc.
Love the program since it was suggested by Mike Black W9MDB
73 de Andrew , KF6LU
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Do you have team viewer installed and if so when will be convenient for me to try to fix this for you?

If you have been saving backups you must have a backup ADIF file and also I doubt that your main database has gone either
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

BACKUP must be restored when Log4OM is CLOSED. If you restore it when log4om is running, the shutdown will overwrite the config file with the current (empty) backup
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
KF6LU
Novice Class

Post by KF6LU »

Daniele; Thanks for input. All files moved with Log4om not running. After moving files and even restarting PC then Log4om started.

Terry; Just installed personal Team Viewer software. I'm free at your schedule to try and restore this. If needed, send me an email to ajbuza@gmail.com to set this up. I'll send you my cell phone number thru gmail if you need that to text message etc. or call direct.
Appreciate all your help in this. 73
73 de Andrew , KF6LU
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Skype me at genes1
73 Terry G4POP