Setup log4om + hamlib + flrig

yo3cen
Novice Class

Setup log4om + hamlib + flrig

Post by yo3cen »

Hello,

I connected Flrig with Fldigi and they work well together + FT-891.

I can't set the CAT/hamlib from log4om to work with the above setup.
- In log4om / CAT management I selected CAT engine - hamlib / autostart.
- In Hamlib I selected RIG Model: FLRig Stable.
- I don't know what settings to do next for Flrig in the Hamlib window or in FLrig setup menu (serial parameters / TCP Radio parameters / TCP Connection, etc).

Atached is my hamlib setup.
When I click un green ok (V) in right lower corner, CAT status: Disconnected indicator turns green "Connected" for 1-2 seconds then turns off.
I also try to click "open hamlib standalone", then ok (V) with the same results (connected only 1-2 seconds).
The transceiver frequency is not displayed in the log4om window.
During this time Fldigi, Flrig and FT-891 communicate with each other.

I can't get it working together for log4om + fldigi + flrig + FT-891 or only log4om + flrig + FT-891.
I know how to setup log4om to work with hamlib + FT-891 + Fldigi but not toghether with Flrig.

Using win10 home and all programs are the latest versions.

Thank you in advance,
Gabriel, yo3cen
hamlib_yo3cen.JPG
hamlib_yo3cen.JPG (67.64 KiB) Viewed 15385 times
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Setup log4om + hamlib + flrig

Post by G4POP »

There is a rule concerning com ports - They cannot be shared by multiple programs

Only using Omnirig which multithreads or by using a virtual serial port emulator can that be done

So if your connecting to your radio using FLDigi and probably rigcat or similar, when you try to get Hamlib to connect to the radio using the same com port it will be rejected.

If you read out user guide about setting up for FLdigi it will help you
73 Terry G4POP
yo3cen
Novice Class

Post by yo3cen »

Thank you Terry for answer.

I connect FT-891 to flrig via com port.
Fldigi is connected to flrig not using "rigcat" but "flrig".
Now, here is the question: how do I connect lo4om to flrig?

More simple: how to use log4om + flrig (which is connected to FT-891 via com port)?
In log4om/hamlib is Flrig. How we use it?

Best regards,
Gabriel
AE6DS
Advanced Class

Post by AE6DS »

You should check the event log in FLRig which should have more information.

The configuration you want is FLRig connecting to the radio CAT and then other apps connecting to FLRig via network. You shouldn't need to use standalone hamlib to multiplex things as FLRig is the mux point, not hamlib.

Or as Terry suggests, you can use OmniRig as the mux -- that config is documented in the L4OM manual.

Dale
yo3cen
Novice Class

Post by yo3cen »

Pse read this message:
https://groups.io/g/winfldigi/message/29310

I have tried the setup described above but no joy...

73 de Gabriel,
yo3cen
ad8jl
Novice Class

Post by ad8jl »

I was able to make this work with Log4OM2 2.24.0.0 and FLRig 1.4.7 (and WSJT-X 2.5.4). Here's a brief overview of what I did:

= Install and configure FLRig and make sure it works.
Obviously, FLRig needs to be working 100% before you start trying to make Log4OM2 talk to it... :) For me, I simply had to set the proper Rig (FT-450D), COM port (3), Baud (4800) and StopBits (1).

= (Optional) Configure WSJT-X to use FLRig.
I did this next for a couple of reasons: there were a lot more people using this combination successfully, so it was a good way to make sure that the networking side was working correctly. And if I couldn't make WSJT-X work with FLRig, there was no point in continuing. This was also very easy: set the Rig to FLRig FLRig.

= Configure Log4OM2
Open the program configuration. Navigate to the CAT interface page. On the Settings tab, select CAT Engine: Hamlib. On the Hamlib tab, select RIG Model: FLRig FLRig Stable. On the used parameter string, use the following: "--model=4 -Z" (without the quotes) and then Save and apply.

This was the part that I could not initially make work. After a fair bit of Googling and experimenting, I figured out why: if you use the Generated parameter string, rigctld will not start, whether you pick Serial connected radio or Network connected radio. Because we're not actually connecting Hamlib to a radio: we're connecting it to FLRig, and Hamlib already knows how to do that without a bunch of parameters. So let it do it! :)

Of course, after I figured this out, I went back over some of the info I had previously reviewed and found that one of them mentioned this obliquely ( viewtopic.php?t=3371 ) They also mention replacing a bunch of Hamlib files with newer ones, but the version included with my Log4OM2 is 4.4, which seems to be new enough.

I hope this will save someone else a little bit of time and frustration.
ak7vv
Novice Class

Post by ak7vv »

One more thing.. Windows Defender Firewall can make a royal mess of things in this configuration as it appears to try to be smart. Or at least is smarter than me.

To check if you have a problem, you can temporarily turn it off and see if it interferes (yes, even on local to the machine). I did.. (not yet clear how to fix it :-) ).
PA2PWM
New user

Post by PA2PWM »

Thank you! Ignoring the generated string and replacing it with your suggested string did the trick (on my IC7300 and FT817). Tnx es best 873 de Paul PA2PWM