Google Earth

G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Google Earth

Post by G4POP »

M0ZEH wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 11:59 I can confirm that grids with 4 digits do not get plotted to Google Earth.
Not sure what you are doing or if perhaps you dont understand that you have a choice of plotting either 6 digit or 4 digit grid squares.

If you choose to display 4 digit squares there is no point in plotting 6 digit ones because you chose to show just the major squares and of course that includes ALL of the six digit squares within the major 4 digit square as below:

Earth two (FILEminimizer).png
Earth two (FILEminimizer).png (165.62 KiB) Viewed 908 times

If however you select 6 digit squares in the program config it will only display those squares because you have not worked all of the squares that complete a 4 digit square, as below:

Earth One (FILEminimizer).png
Earth One (FILEminimizer).png (167.83 KiB) Viewed 908 times

Its your choice but its self defeating to try to display both and confusing to the eye

The program is functioning as designed and these screen shots are taken using the latest release
73 Terry G4POP
ZL2UB
Novice Class

Post by ZL2UB »

if it is helpful.

I have written some code external to log40m, that updates the log40m sqlite database so all my records (where possible) have 6 place in for the grid squares.

I run this update more or less in the back ground, so the update to the record happens before the record is uploaded to LOTW, QRZ, EQSL, etc

Separately, I create my own KML files for google maps, one for 4 place grid squares, and one for 6 place grid squares.
both filers can be opened in google maps at the same time, and due to shading you can see both sets of squares.

Separate to this I create pins for each contact.

Yes I know Grid Tracker does this as well. But I enjoy writing code and playing about, so I just did it

Dave
ZL2UB
Dave
ZL2UB
M0ZEH
Advanced Class

Post by M0ZEH »

Thanks for your reply Terry.

I forgot you can only plot 4 or 6 digit and not both at the same time. I like to see where I have worked at the end of a session. I guess that is not easy to do then, never mind.
Thanks Steve M0ZEH
M0ZEH
Advanced Class

Post by M0ZEH »

Hi Dave
ZL2UB,

I have changed the setting to 4 digit grid. Now it plots 4 and 6 digit grids albeit converting the 6 digit grids to 4 digits. This is a workable option. Thanks for your offer of alterative software but I like the all in one package approach.
Thanks Steve M0ZEH