BUG: Freezes in Windows 10 with Log40m 2.7.0.0

V2 error reports
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: BUG: Freezes in Windows 10 with Log40m 2.7.0.0

Post by IW3HMH »

In trace mode, messages are written down to Log4Om log, but that doesn't change anything on how code is handled.
I think it's something related to some concurrent activities, that are a little bit de-synced while writing log.
The issue happens only when JTDx is enabled?
Have some time to test a new version? (formerly 2.7.0.1) ?
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
DK9JC
Advanced Class

Post by DK9JC »

EA7BYN wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 18:30 Can you share with me your Omnirig setup?
Sure. There you go:
2020-06-10_13h53_43.png
2020-06-10_13h53_43.png (38.11 KiB) Viewed 4334 times
2020-06-10_13h53_24.png
2020-06-10_13h53_24.png (7.55 KiB) Viewed 4334 times
73 de John, DK9JC (AK9JC stateside)
https://www.dk9jc.de
PE4A
Novice Class

Post by PE4A »

I had a freeze 4 times today with trace on.
I was using JTDX with JTAlert.
Windows 10 pro 64bit on Ryzen 5 2600 and 16GB ram.
Can i make a support request?

73, Peter, PE4A
K0HB
Old Man

Post by K0HB »

G4POP wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 07:25 Unless we receive a support request in trace mode its very difficult for us to find issues so reverting to an older release does not help resolve this
Terry,

I've reported any errors that I've seen.

I've supported Log4Om with a number of small monetary donations.

I've been a big cheerleader of the author and support team over the years.

But I'm not a good BETA tester, so I have decided to revert to a known good version while you guys sort through the several issues with 2.7.0.0 -- and I will cheer when the next "fixed" version appears (and maybe even click the PayPal button another time).

But please, spare me the condescending guilt trip - let that Limey over at Logger32 have that job.
DE Hans, KØHB
--
"Just a boy and his radio"
--
Superstition Trails ----> http://OldSlowHans.com
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

K0HB wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 04:57
G4POP wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 07:25 Unless we receive a support request in trace mode its very difficult for us to find issues so reverting to an older release does not help resolve this
Terry,

I've reported any errors that I've seen.

I've supported Log4Om with a number of small monetary donations.

I've been a big cheerleader of the author and support team over the years.

But I'm not a good BETA tester, so I have decided to revert to a known good version while you guys sort through the several issues with 2.7.0.0 -- and I will cheer when the next "fixed" version appears (and maybe even click the PayPal button another time).

But please, spare me the condescending guilt trip - let that Limey over at Logger32 have that job.
Hans
Not meant like that at all and you should know me better than that and I am offended that you would accuse me of being condescending!

You and other users would really have a cause to complain if we said 'Dont know mate, get on with it and revert to an old release' so please dont read things into my comments and think back to the 157 posts you have made and remember just how many times I helped you to resolve an issue!

What I was stating was the fact that we are not able to diagnose properly without a support request which you and others can generate from the help menu - see the user guide and web site for information about what to do.

We try to diagnose from the information supplied in forum posts but the support request provides us not only the full picture from the trace files but the ability to exactly replicate the users set up on our PC's which is far more usefull than fragmented information via the forum.

I stand by what I said, we cannot be expected to diagnose a problem if users give up and revert to older versions instead of helping us to locate the issue.

Just remember that the program and its support documentation and videos are free and Lele and I plus the Alpha and Beta teams willingly and freely devote hundred of hours providing free support, perhaps remember that next time you feel offended.

You are still welcome to send me a support request because it seems it will be difficult to diagnose the issue without one.
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Yep :)
What we're trying to explain (and i'm trying to do it with my limited English vocabulary) is that i cannot replicate this freeze.
I have some suspects, but i can't reproduce it so it's hard to get a clear view on what is causing it.

Your reports pointed us to the fact there is something not working, and it's not a single case (not so wide, but exists) so all my "red alert" lights are on.

Unfortunately, now i need something more than a (fundamental) issue report.
The only hint i may have (but very limited) is from log, but logs i already seen didn't pointed me to anything, as it seems Log4OM is still working "behind the ashes" and receives and process data.

I have checked some recently changed functions and hardened them, but i need to collect as much info as i can.

There is a "test version" we can give to users that want to test it, to check if the issue is fixed or not. Is part of the 2.8.0.0 development stream, and contains first drafts of the new version, but also could contains the fix.
If anyone wants to test it please contact us (being a stable, but not released, version i wish to avoid make it public)

IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

K0HB wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 04:57 I've been a big cheerleader of the author and support team over the years.
I want a picture of you dressed like a Cheerleader now :shock: :D
EA7BYN
Novice Class

Post by EA7BYN »

Ok guys. I think I found the issue (or at least one issue in the app), but right now I am doing a lot of tests. I will report it later.

The freeze only appear when I am using JTDX in a random time (it could be 10 min, 6 hours...). But, since I modified the setting that I am testing it, it don't freeze anymore until now.

Today or tomorrow I will write another response here with the possible bug of the app.

Thank you for the support. You are awesome guys :D
EA7BYN
Novice Class

Post by EA7BYN »

IW3HMH wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 07:24 There is a "test version" we can give to users that want to test it, to check if the issue is fixed or not. Is part of the 2.8.0.0 development stream, and contains first drafts of the new version, but also could contains the fix.
If anyone wants to test it please contact us (being a stable, but not released, version i wish to avoid make it public)
I can try it if you want to give me ;) I will not make it public, don't worry about it. I am here to help.

I my latest reply I talked about a possible bug and you can replicate it, but it doesn't fix the freezes bug on my pc.
The steps to follow are:
- Go to Setting/Program Configuration
- Go to User Configuration/Confirmation
- Set Type: LOTW
- Set Sent: Requested
- Set Rcvd: Requested
- Save and exit

Then if you log a CW contact from the Log40m window, it set Lotw received and Lotw sent to Requested. But if you log a FT8 contact from JTDX window, it set Lotw received and Lotw sent to No.
AD8FD
Novice Class

Post by AD8FD »

I've been running 2.7.0.0 since Monday and just had the first "freeze" last night but I was also on a Zoom meeting so figured it was something with that. I've had it happen 3 times so far today. I've got trace logging on now.

I can try something else if it would help. Its normally running for 15 - 16 hours out of the day.