2.8.0.0 Freezes

V2 error reports
ki5fty
Novice Class

Re: 2.8.0.0 Freezes

Post by ki5fty »

I am also a freezing issue but I notice that log4om is taking up 100% of the cpu in cycles every 30 -60 seconds. It also coincides with a automated process that is trying to read a adif file and is seems to be malformed. The import problem I noticed a week ago but the freezing just started today when running wsjtx.
I have captured a support package and would like to send it to someone to look at. I am unable to use my system with this new version and wsjtx.

system info below:
Log4om 2.8.0
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name HAM-WIN10
System Manufacturer Apple Inc.
System Model Macmini6,1
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU System SKU#
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
ki5fty
Novice Class

Post by ki5fty »

I found the answer to my 100% cpu problem. I had turned off configuration->Software integration->Applications->WSJT-x/JTDX "import QSO from JT Message #12.

I thought that since I was importing using ADIF_MESSAGE on port 2237 the other option was not needed. (at least from the wording in the dialog box). Once I turned it back on the CPU went down to 4% and has stayed there for 12 hours. It seems my import errors are are unrelated to the slowdown but only happen when I activate wsjtx or jtdx:

"Error in ADIF import, returning empty log[exception] StartIndex cannot be less than zero.Parameter nam: startIndex"
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Message 12 is part of the JT messages. It contains the latest QSO saved.
If you set Log4OM to MONITOR a JT provider instead of an ADIF provider the application will continuously try to read JT messages as ADIF strings, that is not correct.

If you want to use "message 12" in the JT protocol you should read the provided port with a JT reader provider service, not with an ADIF service.
ADIF will throw exceptions as format is unexpected (managed exceptions, but try-catch cycles are always expensives and the ADIF function is heavier than JT one)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
KE4BCN
Advanced Class

Post by KE4BCN »

I was having similar problem. I put my log level into trace mode and found that when Log4OM locked up was when it was doing the solar index updates but it does not do it all the time. I was told that they are aware of the problem. I just changed the time interval to once a day instead of every few minutes as a work around. Just an idea.

https://forum.log4om.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5679
K0HB
Old Man

Post by K0HB »

Is this issue going anywhere?

The program, when fed with UDP, freezes so frequently as to be useless.
DE Hans, KØHB
--
"Just a boy and his radio"
--
Superstition Trails ----> http://OldSlowHans.com
HB9BRJ
Old Man

Post by HB9BRJ »

Fortunately I haven't experienced any freezes.

Somebody mentioned Log4OM continues to work but the GUI is irresponsive. If the focus happens to be on another window, located outside of the visible screen, the solution is to open the system menu with ALT-space, then maximize the invisible window. Happens every week in my QRL when users change their screen resolution or work on several PCs, some of them having 2 monitors, others only one.

In case of a real freeze I would expect to see entries in the Windows event viewer.

73, Markus HB9BRJ
K0HB
Old Man

Post by K0HB »

HB9BRJ wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 18:39 Fortunately I haven't experienced any freezes.

Somebody mentioned Log4OM continues to work but the GUI is irresponsive. If the focus happens to be on another window, located outside of the visible screen, the solution is to open the system menu with ALT-space, then maximize the invisible window. Happens every week in my QRL when users change their screen resolution or work on several PCs, some of them having 2 monitors, others only one.

In case of a real freeze I would expect to see entries in the Windows event viewer.

73, Markus HB9BRJ
It's a little more subtle than that, Markus.

It is true that some Log4OM background functions continue during the freeze, but ANY OPEN Log4OM window/tab will be frozen, and other background functions do not operate.

Here's what I have been able to determine happens during a "freeze" event.

• Any (and all) open Log4OM windows become unresponsive, but do not display the expected "Is not responding" title bar message.
  • QSO information from "outside apps" (WSJT-X, N1MM+) via UDP continues to be recorded in the Log4OM database (I use SQLite).
  • Other "background" activity (like uploads to QRZ or CLUBLOG) does not occur.
  • Task Manager performance tab does not show any unusual "overload" of CPU, Memory, etc.
  • There are no "off screen" windows opened which have stolen the focus.
  • Other open apps do not seem to be affected. I recently ran an entire contest on N1MM+ with Log4OM in this frozen state. All the QSO's from the contest were properly captured in the Log4OM log, and N1MM+ functioned normally throughout.
DE Hans, KØHB
--
--
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Hans,
We have been trying to find the cause of this freeze since we released version 2.8.0.0 but its very illusive, more so because it only manifests itself with a small number of users. Before you say its been reported a lot on the forum consider that number of users in relation to approximately 30000 users in total, its a small percentage!

Most users with this issue find reverting to an earlier version, while we find the cause, removes the pain but unfortunately that does not help us because it reduces the number of examples we have to work with.

If you are convinced that in your case its the UDP connections fouling things up, why not disable those connections and use ADIF imports from the external programs for a short time. This would give you a more relaxed operating period and also prove or disprove your theory which would also help us pinpoint the problem.

Be assured we want to fix this just as much, if not more than our users because then we can continue to develop our software.
73 Terry G4POP
K0HB
Old Man

Post by K0HB »

G4POP wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 06:47

If you are convinced that in your case its the UDP connections fouling things up, why not disable those connections and use ADIF imports from the external programs for a short time. This would give you a more relaxed operating period and also prove or disprove your theory which would also help us pinpoint the problem.

Be assured we want to fix this just as much, if not more than our users because then we can continue to develop our software.
I don't know that UDP is a culprit, or even if it is involved. I just mention that the UDP feed finds it's way into the log, even though the user interface is not responsive. That suggests to me that UDP is NOT the culprit, since it the single thing which I know that continues to work.
DE Hans, KØHB
--
--
N3PPH
Novice Class

Post by N3PPH »

I am a new user and have been having this problem. I just started Log4OM and tried 2 calls of FT8 with no responses. This was enough for the GUI to be frozen. Overall I am liking Log4OM but this is a game breaker. Has any progress been made? Is something I can supply to help? As this is my first build going back would be difficult.

Bob N3PPH